• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*Vent about tricare*

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:45 PM
  • 18 Replies

Ok let me start off with I am grateful for tricare and what they do cover because I know how much it costs to have a baby without insurance. However I think its really lame that I have to go to a prental orientation and do that song and dance even though this is my second kid and I did the orientation with my DD. Thats my first complaint, my second complaint is that they will not see me until 10 weeks and we are moving so im going to go through this whole stressful move and then finally get seen by an o.b. in Arizona (we live in Japan currently). I know they have a lot of pregnant ladies they have to care for but I just wish they would see me before I leave to make sure everything is ok, im not even asking for an ultrasound! Just something to make me feel like its all good and nothing will happen while we are traveling. Plus I have some questions about my prenatal vitamins and all that.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angevil53
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:13 AM
You can ask any pharmacy about your vitamins, they will help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
milagro07
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Tricare usually does an intake appt as soon as you find out, Ive had one ith every pregnansy and never went past 8 weeks except with DS.

Okigurl
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:53 AM

Quoting angevil53:

You can ask any pharmacy about your vitamins, they will help.

Yeah I asked the pharmacy they told me to talk to my doctor >.<

Okigurl
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:56 AM

Quoting milagro07:

Tricare usually does an intake appt as soon as you find out, Ive had one ith every pregnansy and never went past 8 weeks except with DS.

They don't do that here. They did that with my DD when I lived in North Dakota but I guess overseas is different. They make you come in and get it confirmed with blood and then come back in do some more blood and urine samples fill out some papers then you have to wait till the orientation. When you do the orientation you are assigned an ob and then they will see you at approximately 10 weeks. This was all explained to me by the o.b's office. They are really streched thin here because ALOT of women are pregnant all the time and one office handles it all, it just sucks for me.

Wantn1more
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 7:54 AM

Most OB's (non military) don't want to see you until 10 or even 12 weeks, unless there are issues. I'm sorry this is so very stressful for you!! For us, I am thanking god daily that we were able to get our tricare back!!! The civilian insurance that both DH and I are eligible for is terrible!! We are currently paying $500 a month for insurance that will only cover PART of 5 doctor's appts a year, a reduced price for meds, and a free physical per year. We currently owe $4000 that insurance didn't pay for my last miscarriage (early with no intervention) and three doctors appts when I was later diagnosed a diabetic. I know it probably doesn't feel like it right now... but things could be much worse!!

corrinacs
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Since you are traveling, you may want to make sure they know that and perhaps they will slip you in to be sure all is well!  There's not much they can do in the case of a miscarriage, but they can definitely give you any information you may need to needed vaccines that are safe for you, etc.

Good luck!

proudmom611
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Im sorry mama. I got pregnant before we got our orders.. so i had an awesome ob in nv and then had the stressful PCS and the hardest time getting an appt in tx. I never see the same dr/nurse which bugs the crap outta me and they tried making me go to some genetics class.. I had enough and put my foot down with them. everytime i go in for my appt they always say oh you transfered in? yeah so? that was a while ago...

proudmom611
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Quoting milagro07:

This is not true. never had one and im on pregnancy number 2

Amanda_Jeanne
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I'm not a fan of the orientation deal either... I had to do it with this pregnancy also even though I had already done it when I was pregnant with DS... it was kind of annoying. And then at the women's clinic on base that I am seen at I see a different OB/midwife EVERY VISIT, so I feel like no one has really gotten to know me or my pregnancy at all. It definitely sucks... but like you said, I am greatful for the medical coverage, it would cost us an arm and a leg to be pregnant on the civilian side!

army_wife_mommy
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 5:46 PM

It sounds like everywhere is different because that's not the way it is here. They see you the soonest they can get you in about 2-3 weeks after finding out and then you get an ultra sound to see how many babies and determine due date. And I get to choose a midwife I want and stick with her if I want or I can choose to see the others. But unless I work out something with the midwife to where she will come in on a day off if she happens to not be working when I go into labor, then I just have to deal with who is on call. Luckily when I had my son, my midwife said to call her the moment I went in labor and she would come in but it so happens she was on call that day anyway :D My 3rd child was my first Army Hospital birth. The other 2 we lived in a location that didn't have military hospital.

What question do you have about the prenatal vit? Since you live in a foreign country I can ask my PharmD friend the question for you because pharmacist's actually know more about drugs than Dr's do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)