• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PCOS...no period...no ovulation...

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:15 AM
  • 8 Replies

Ok, I'm new to this but I wanted to see if anyone else was in the same boat as I am.  I am 28, overweight and I have PCOS.  I was taking clomid, metformin, and progesterone but I ended up having a miscarriage last year.  So, my husband is worried and no longer wants me to take pills but without them I can't have a period.  Besides, I no longer have insurance and the metformin and clomid didn't help me ovulate after a while.  Is anyone else in this same situation?  I'm on a path to lose weight now but I just don't know how to get my period to come on so I can ovulate.  Any advice would be great...thanks.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KaliLeanne
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:23 AM
I'm going through all that now. I've lost 46 pounds and still have more to go, I'm hoping if I can get below 200lbs I can reset my cycles.... Right now I'm doing a thousand mgs of metformin twice a day, progesterone to start a period, and 150mg of clomid......
mom_of_teejay
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:21 AM
The metforan kept me regulated the past 9 years untill i missed my period last month. going to the dr today to see whats wrong
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:11 AM
I really don't think the pills have anything to do with the miscarriage and dr's typically keep us pcos women on metformin the first trimester to try to prevent miscarriage.

I take 2000mg of metformin a day and my periods only come every 3 months. So I dont have much advice on regulating period. I see a RE today and will bring up my irregular periods and see what they say.

As for weight loss I have heard a lot of pcos women use the south beach diet and it actually helps them lose weight. I am starting that today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HJMF
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Welcome to group!! Sorry to hear about all that you've been through. I have PCOS as well and don't always ovulate on my own. I'm also on Metformin. I take Provera almost every cycle to bring on AF and I'm starting Clomid next cycle if I don't get pregnant this cycle. As far as bringing on AF on your own, maybe try some over the counter Progesterone cream? I know there are other girls who have used it so I hope they can help. Good luck and baby dust!

jedilynne
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:36 AM

I have PCOS too.  I have a longer cycle but I do have my own.  As long as I am takng metformin.  Weight loss can help but it didnt seem to make a diffrence with me.  Every person is different.  I have never gotten pregnant and have upped my dose of metformin to help with this.  What works for some doesn't work for others and its just a gamble as to what would work fo you.  Keep talking to your doctor and keep trying to loose the weight.  Probably had a m/c from low progesterone early on in pregnancy, not from all the meds you were taking.

Diamonds62009
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I have PCOS I was diagnosed with it back in 2008 when DH and I first started ttc I am now down 40lbs atleast another 15 to go. I am on 1000mg of metformin twice a day and provera to induce my periods and just finished my 1st clomid dose(havent taken it in over a yr) and should O soon. Good Luck and Baby Dust!

Mipsy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I'm no longer mobile so I can see your avi now and holy cow chicka! You're gorgeous! :D

wantsababy73012
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:59 PM
I was in the same boat. I couldn't have a period on my own so i started losing weight at last i started on my own and had a regular period
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)