• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1st RE appt UPDATE

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:49 PM
  • 8 Replies

I just got home and OMG! AMAZING! The doctor himself came out to the waiting room and greeted us (dh and I) and took us back to his office. He went over my girly history and my pregnancy with my son, then over dh's history, then went over basics: looking at DH's sperm count, motility, and morphology, and then everything about me and how I obviously am anovulatory, pcos, and possible something else we would check and see.

So since I was on cd2 he was really excited and he ran an ulratsound today in his office and HE DID IT HIMSELF! He checked out my uterus as much as he could and found an open area that could be blood (cuz I am on af afterall) but could be an indication of a polyp and was thicker than it should be. Then he checked my ovaries and he told me that in a typical woman, there is normally 10-20 follicles in the ovaries around cd2-4, more than that is an indication of PCOS (so just an FYI for those of you wondering about PCOS). Unfortunately he said I had a great deal more than 20 in each ovary (which sucks cuz a year ago they were clear, and we had discussed in his office if a PCOS diagnosis was even really correct for me considering at one time my labs and tests showed PCOS but then last yr they all came back beautiful) so he said if I pinned him down and made him have to tell me he would say that yes, this is consistent with PCOS and the diagnosis is correct. But I don't seem to have a severe form of it.Then he took a ton of blood work checking out my overall health and all my levels in regards to fertility and what not (and they offered genetic testing for things like cystic fibrosis but we opted out of that).

What we do know is that on low doses of clomid (50mg) I ovulate so that is great in my favor. I have done 8 cycles overall in my life so really it is recommended I only do a max of up to 4 more (studies have shown that after 12 cycles, risks of ovarian cancer are increased, which I already knew). So he wants to try doing clomid for a couple months and having sex at home (as long as dh's SA comes back normal) again and see what happens, then if nothing we will do clomid a couple times with IUI. If still nothing he said we will move on to the more expensive things. But for right now, this is our plan.

Also I am getting a HSG next week to check my tubes and a sonohysterogram to check my uterus for any abnormalities or polyps. Then DH will also have a SA next week too (and unfortunately for him, since we live an hour away from the facility he is going to have to give his sample there, LOL). Some funny things (well I laughed, lol): I went to give my husband my purse and called him his nickname and the dr asked me if he goes by that name so I giggled and told him "uhm, no, actually I am the only person he allows to call him that" and the dr laughed and said ok, LOL! The nurse came in to ask if I removed any tampon I may had in before my u/s but the way she said it was really weird and funny so I didn't understand and neither did DH so I finally just told her "lol, sorry, it's a crazy day, just be blunt with me" and she said some people are like OMG so she wasn't sure so I just laughed and told her I had been doing this too long I seriously didn't care, LOL! Then the doctor came in and asked if I had the vaginal ultrasounds before and I told him "more than I ever should care for" and he goes "ok here ya go, show me around then" LOL (he knows we have been doing this for 2.5yrs and had found out by then I am very open and joking about it all (I rather be lighthearted))!

The only other thing I have to do is see a high risk ob because I have migraine induced seizures. They just want an expert on board with everything to make sure if I go off my meds I will be ok and so will baby etc.

He is a great dr and we just love him! He is so proactive and has researched how and what our insurance will cover and so we are doing things under what they will cover for now and then will go from there. He seemed to know when we got in there where he wanted to go with us. He seems confident and very caring. I am excited for once!

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
aussiechic
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:53 PM

I wish you the best!!! Babydust Baby dust Babydust!!!

truelyred2
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:54 PM
Sounds good. My re did many of those things too, greeted us and brought is in, did his own us, etc. great news hope this is it for you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Its so different from my ob, you know? I mean, I ♥ my ob, he is such a good and sweet guy, but this is so throrough and concentrated help I could shoot myself for waiting for so long!

Also the RE just loves my ob and is going to work hand in hand with him so that is awesome for me. I am not worried about my transition back to my ob's office, you know?

Quoting truelyred2:

Sounds good. My re did many of those things too, greeted us and brought is in, did his own us, etc. great news hope this is it for you

jedilynne
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Sounds like a great re.  I had a great one that diagnosed me with PCOS but had to move away.  Hoping I dont have to go that route again.

long2beamom
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Sounds like you are gettin some great care!!! (I have pcos too) My RE is a humorous guy, so I usually end up laughing through my appointments even when stuff is kinda serious...lol 

BTW I am sooo curious what your DH's nickname is!!

Good luck to you and baby dust!

Loading Ticker...

~ S H A N N O N ~

Mipsy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:50 PM
Lol, nothing crazy really. His name is Kendall but he only allows me to call him Ken, lol.

Quoting long2beamom:

Sounds like you are gettin some great care!!! (I have pcos too) My RE is a humorous guy, so I usually end up laughing through my appointments even when stuff is kinda serious...lol 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
long2beamom
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:00 PM

awww lol....he he

Quoting Mipsy:

Lol, nothing crazy really. His name is Kendall but he only allows me to call him Ken, lol.

Quoting long2beamom:

corrinacs
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Sounds fantastic :) :) .  I am so gald that your initial stages are going so well, that makes the journey much better :).  I sure hope the Clomid works for you and DH SA comes out ok too :) :) :).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)