Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:43 PM
  • 8 Replies

My husband and I have been married for 4 years and after taking a break are trying yet again to concieve our first child.  Where do I get the bulk cheap pregnancy tests?  How do you use ovulation tests?  How do I take my practically non-existent and not very good when it is there cm and make it fertile?

We are using pre-seed this month for the first time and I plan to start charting my temp again next month (if.. you know...).

What else can I do to increase my fertility?  We've been down this road before.  I apparently don't ovulate every month, and did not ovulate at all the one month we tried clomid.  It was after that month that my husband decided that he wasn't really ready yet and I was too emotionally exhausted to argue.  Now he is ready and I don't think I can go through years of heartbreak every month again.

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
-JustMyOpinion-
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Go to Amazon.com and order the Wondfo brand of pregnancy tests and ovulation prediction kits.  Only buy them from the seller Formosa Medical.  The others may be knock-offs and may not work well otherwise.

-JustMyOpinion-
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:48 PM

I just wrote the following response in another post about making cervical mucus more fertile.  I hope you don't mind my cut and paste action here!  

Quote:

Guaifenesin is the drug you want!  As others said, it is found in Mucinex and Robitussion cough syrup.  When taken for a cold, it turns nasal and chest mucus into a more watery consistency so you can cough it up or blow it out.  It actually works for cervical mucus, too.  Thick, sticky cervical mucus is not fertile.  The sperm cannot travel freely through it.  They get stuck.  By taking Guaifenesin, you will actually make your cervical mucus more watery so you can create more fertile mucus.  

You can also try the Preseed product.  Most lubricant products are NOT safe for sperm.  Even ones that do not have spermicide in them (such as your run-of-the-mill KY jelly) are not good for sperm.  They can kill sperm, thus lessening your chances.  The Preseed product is proven to be sperm-safe, so it acts like fertile cervical mucus.  It is most effective when used internally so it can help the sperm travel to the cervix.  The whole idea behind that stretchy, watery, clear cervical mucus is to act like a ladder.  The sperm climb the "ladder" as a way to get to the cervix.

I hope that helps!

-JustMyOpinion-
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:51 PM

As far as increasing fertility beyond that... I would make sure you are taking a prenatal vitamin, preferably one that has folic acid in it.  I have also heard of fertility teas.  You can buy those on Amazon, too!  Just search for fertility tea.  It supposedly has natural herbs in it that are supposed to increase your level of fertility.  How, I have no idea... :)

You can adjust your diet and cut caffeine, if you are a caffeine drinker.  That is supposed to hinder your ability, so I have heard.  Regular exercise and attention to overall fitness should help too.  (Please do not take that as me saying you are not fit!  This is just a general recommendation!)

policewife07
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Thanks!  I used to be a huge coffee drinker, but have cut back to one or two cups a day.  I don't work out big time, but I take my dogs for a 30 minute walk daily.  I am taking the centrum prenatals.  I haven't tried fertility teas (not a big tea drinker) but I'll do just about anything really.  I will definitely be adding mucinex to my vitamin regimine though and will be ordering some sticks to pee on.  :-)

-JustMyOpinion-
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Good luck to you!!!  I hope you do not have to try for a really long time.  How familiar are you with the charting process?  Have you done it before?  There is an EXCELLENT book out there called Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  It teaches you everything you could possibly want to know about your body and troubleshoots potential issues with your cycle.  There is even a chapter on maximizing your changes at getting pregnant.  The Appendix section has a list of drugs/products that HELP with cervical mucus and ones that will actually dry you up (like antihistamines!).  It's such an amazing resource.

It's $14 on Amazon.com.  Such a worthwhile expense!  Also, if you are going to order anything from Amazon, sign up for Amazon Mom first!  Go to http://www.amazon.com/mom.  By signing up (free), you will get 3 free months of Prime membership... which means you get free 2-day shipping on any Prime-eligible products, no matter the price!  You don't have to spend $25 to get the free shipping.  :)  It's awesome.  

Quoting policewife07:

Thanks!  I used to be a huge coffee drinker, but have cut back to one or two cups a day.  I don't work out big time, but I take my dogs for a 30 minute walk daily.  I am taking the centrum prenatals.  I haven't tried fertility teas (not a big tea drinker) but I'll do just about anything really.  I will definitely be adding mucinex to my vitamin regimine though and will be ordering some sticks to pee on.  :-)

Bundleofjoy
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:05 PM
Amazon has great deals on OPK's as well as pregnancy tests and ive found and heard the Wondos Formosa Medical are the best. Also, some Dollar Trees sell them both a dollar a piece :) Pretty cheap and reliable, buy bulk. To get a positive result on an OPK the test line MUST be as dark as the control line or darker. There will usually always be 2 lines. This is not a positive. :) Usually after a pos, you ovulate within the next 12-36 hours? Correct me if wrong. To increase CM some women use Mucinex, Robitussin with the one only ingredient(starts with a G) to increase mucus. Mucus is needed to help get sperm where it needs to be. It helps to chart, temp, check the cervix,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
policewife07
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 7:18 AM

I am very familiar with charting.  We used NFP when we got married and I would chart both my temp and cm daily.  The problem was that I NEVER had fertile cm and rarely had any cm to chart, and my temp would bounce all over the place.  Even our NFP teachers had trouble reading my charts.

Zingy0926
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 8:38 AM

I never have fertile cm either. So I recently started to drink lots of water and also take evening primrose oil from menstruation to ovulation. After ovulation I take fish oil until either a bfp or AF again. I also use preseed during my fertile time (if I have one!!). Have noticed better CM...

As far as not ovulating, I don't do that either! I have started using progesterone cream to bring on my AF who was missing for 3 months, and this cycle I'm using soy isoflavones. This is natures version of Clomid and some ladies have more luck using this than Clomid. I took mine on CD 3-7. On CD 3, 4, 5 I took 120mg and on CD 6, 7 I took 180mg. You need to take at least 100 mg, but no more than 200 mg. I'm waiting now to see if I actually O this cycle.

I too chart my bbt and cm, and use wondfo OPK's that I get off of Amazon.com from *formosa medical* only! They are less than $10 for 50 tests and they work great. My plan this cycle is for the OPK's to tell me I'm having my surge (which comes before actual O) so I can time my bd just right, and use the bbt charting to confirm that I O'd.

I also take 1200mg of Vitex (3, 400mg capsules 3xdaily) and 1000mg of Maca root to help balance my hormones. This can take 3-6 months for results, but when it works, it works from what I understand. I'm almost to month 3. I also take GNC prenatal formula w/iron, B6, baby aspirin and vitamin C.

Good luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)