Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to tell if you are/arent ovalating

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:07 PM
  • 4 Replies
How do you tell of you do or do not ovulate?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
-JustMyOpinion-
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:13 PM

You have to take your temperatures and chart them to verify ovulation happened.  When you have a shift from low temperatures to high temperatures (at least a 0.2 degree rise from the day before that is higher than the temperatures of the previous 6 days and stays high for at least 3 days).  That is how you confirm ovulation.

Secondary signs (that can hint that ovulation is going to happen, but cannot verify it for sure):

Positive OPK (your body will have a surge of the LH hormone just before ovulation is supposed to happen and an OPK will detect that surge)

Fertile Cervical Mucus -- your mucus will become very wet, slippery and then stretchy like uncooked eggwhites (imagine cracking open the egg raw, that clear stretchy stuff).  Your body starts to produce this in the days leading up to ovulation.

Cervical Position -- your cervix will move up really high and become really soft (like the texture of your lips) and open when you are ovulating.  It take a lot of practice with checking to know what your cervix should be feeling like, though.

All of these are secondary signs.  They can tell you that your body MIGHT be ovulating.  But, it is very possible (and happens more than you think) for your body to go through all those changes and not actually ovulate.  This is why charting your temperatures in combination with checking for these other signs will give you the full picture.  I highly recommend it... especially if you have irregular cycles or if you are coming off of birth control of any kind... or if you have been trying for a long time without luck and are unsure what your body is doing.

MrsB0311
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Because I have PCOS and don't O on my own, my GYN has me on meds and a standing order at the lab in my town for a blood workup every month.  I do OPK's to see if I get an LH spike (although that doesn't mean you definitely O, just that the hormones that usually come with O are at least elevated) but that's it right now.

BabyMakinNae
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:42 PM
Opks and bbt. Bbt is much more reliable as opks turn positive when you are gearing up to o. Just because you gear up you still may not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leandrat
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:44 PM
Only way to tell if you are Oing or not is to chart your temps using a fertility program like fertilityfriend.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)