Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice- work related

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM
  • 3 Replies
Hi ladies- I wanted to get some opinions because I'm not sure if I'm being too protective or not. I'm a police officer however my assignments vary day to day. I may be sitting in my mobile for 8-16 hours or I may be outside for several hours in the bitter cold. My investigations will take place at the scene which means that I am subjected to hoards of car exhaust, the elements and if I'm near a heater, it's burning kerosene like no ones business. I'm worried about the toxic fumes and want to go light duty/desk duty immediately following my BFP. I told my co-workers who are all men and they looked at me like I had 2 heads. I haven't discussed this yet with my supervision but we have had a few women work full duty up until they are 6mos pregnant. I just don't think I want to be around the lead ammunition, the toxic fumes, etc. Am I just being crazy? What would you do?
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I don't think you are crazy at all.  Just be prepared to fight for what you believe is right and that there could be consequences (even though said consequences are quite likely illegal).

Find research saying that what you will be exposed to is harmful to a developing baby.  From a very reputable source.  Perhaps your doctor would be helpful with this.  I would bring the research with & present it to them so they know you aren't making it up.

I'd also tell them what you are willing/able to do to accomadate whatever they need.  I don't know how having you on light/desk duty impacts the overall police force.  But if there is something you can do to make that easier for them, tell them you will do it.

EAzizM
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I think you have the right to what you want. inform your supervisor about your worries. The health of yourself and the baby are the most important thing. And no you ar enot being crazy. GL

Liz0205
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:34 PM
Thank you! I definitely plan on talking to my doctor and seeing what she says, I'm just pretty sure I'll get a lot of grief. But my baby to be is far more important than that!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)