• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anybody had the HSG test done?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:31 PM
  • 12 Replies

I was wondering if anyone has done the HSG test? If it worked, how much they paid, any helpful info would be great!

I am new to all this so let me give a little info on myself. We have been trying for #2 for over 3 1/2 years. We have a little girl she is 6. I had no problems getting pregnant the first time, it wasnt even planned. She is our pride and joy! I have PCOS and I have been taking metformin for a year and a half. I have been able to lose 30 lbs. I have also taken clomid, I ovulate on the lowest dose and dont have any problems there. My hubby was tested and has plenty of sperm in good condition, he just has thick mucus so they have a hard time getting free :) I have done IUI twice and a lot of trying the old fashion way with no success :( It has been a rough road and I just feel deep down I need to have my tubes checked, Any advice is greatly welcomed! Thanks :)

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaliLeanne
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I havent had mine done yet, but if this cycle doesnt work im going to be doing it the end of this month, ours is going to cost 548, because he does a saline instead of dye, and uses an ultrasound to monitor? Idk, he said its like a normal hsg except no dye, and its more intensive? Idk, anyways he said a normal hsg would cost 760.

Good luck hun!

~~KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED~~
Started TTC May 2008 Baby Number 1

RIP Angel Babies:

May08, August08, December08, July09, June10, Jan11, March11

yankee1215
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:55 PM
I had it done, wasn't bad. Not sure what it costs sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
One.hope
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I had one done. It runs around 400-500 dollars. It's not too painful. It's more uncomfortable. The doctor puts i the dye. It is monitored on the ultrasound.

gump
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:54 PM

We tried to do mine in Auguest 2011 but my uterus is so rear facing that it was to painful to get the cath in.  It was covered on insurance so I am not sure of the cost.  I ended up having to have surgery to determine if my tubes were working.  Unfortunately for me, both were closed. 

kimmie101078
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I had one done last may.. It wasn't bad at all.. I took 2 extra strength ibuprofen an hour before I went, I was told this would help with any discomfort or cramping... the test was very quick.... I had a tiny bit of cramping when they put the dye in, but other than that the test wasn't bad... I had some minor period like cramping later in the day after the test, but nothing another ibuprofen didn't take care of.. I am not sure what the cost is because my doctor and hospital have an assistance program for people with no insurance so mine only cost about 80.00. you should check with your hospital or doctor and see if they offer anything.

Lincolnsmommy
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM
I've had two done. First. One before we conceived our son through IUI, which the dye test showed nothing wrong. The Dr. Said maybe it cleared son gunk out. Then the 2nd last year again since I haven't gotten pregnant since we had our son by cesarean almost 5 years ago. That test again showed nothing wrong. It was 300 to 400. For me. No coverage since it was for infertility and I have zero coverage for that.
It wasn't too bad. It was like the worst mentsrual cramps ever and very uncomfortable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Hey,

Welcome :) :).  It sounds like you really just don't have any answers :/.  Your story sounds like mine :/.

But, in any case, the HSG is where they insert a fluid into your cervix and uterus and take xray photos of the fliud traveling through the fallopian tubes.  If the fluid doesn't come out the other end then they know there's a blockage.

It can be quite painful, so ts suggested you take some IBProfen prior.  I made the mistake of not doing so (I tend to fall asleep on pain meds LOL), and it was OK :/.  I cried like a baby, but im a wuss :)

GOod luck mama!

ashlienicole72
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 9:20 AM
My doc had me get that done first thing before she did anything my insurance covered mine but mine was so painfull it put my body in shock and landed me in the er 5 minutes after it was done turned out my left tube was slightly blocked after that on day 21 i went for blood work and my progestrian levels were real low i did my first cycle of clomid this month and finally got 2 positive i go for blood work again next friday hopefully i get a positive for my first this month been tryin almost 2yrs hope this helps good luck baby dust your way :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angelgift
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Hi hun....I am actually going next month I have to call when af arrives.  I have heard stories of people being more fertile for the first 3 months following the hsg, but I don't know how true it is.  Keep me posted.  I had abdominal pain and an ultrasound showed that one of my tubes was slightly dilated and so I am going to have this done for some possible answers.  Fx that all goes well for both of us. I have been trying for almost a year to conceive and had a couple chemical pregnancies.  I go for progesterone lab work on the 30th and also see the FE on the 24th.  I don't know if I will be give clomid or not, or if I even need it.  Good luck to you.

angiemarieperry
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I had it done a couple months ago. My insurance paid like half of the 1200 dollars it cost, so that left me with around 600 out of pocket.  It was uncomfortable, but nothing like I thought it would be.  I had a little cramping the next day at work because I over did it.  Aleve took care of that though.  I had slight blockage at first but then it pushed through.  I have heard that a lot of people conceive within 4 months of having it done.  I am in the same boat as you.  I have a 6 year old son and was not trying with him.  Now I have no idea what is going on.  I have been on clomid forever now!!!   I have been TTC for about 2 years now.  So good luck to you and everyone else on here!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)