Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is considered "Long Term TTC"?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM
  • 61 Replies
1 mom liked this
I have been trying to get pregnant for 2.5 years, first with my ex husband, now with my husband. I never considered myself as a long term TTC-er...until know...

I keep seeing posts of people that have been TTC for 6 months, sometimes less, and getting discouraged. I don't want to discredit their emotions and frustration...but sometimes I just want to slap them and say "Come talk to me in two years with no baby, and we'll see how you feel." (Note: I don't say this. I know there is no quantifying the pain of TTC.)

Anyway...I was wondering what, technically, qualifies as "long term TTC"?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovesPeanut
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM
It took me 6 and 8 months to conceive my kids. I don't get mad at people who get preg easily the first month, all bodies are different... plus its hard to catch that egg within 24 hours of it releasing, some people are lucky I guess. If you have been ttc for 12m or longer, you should talk to the dr to rule any fertility issues out and seek help in getting pregnant. So, to ME, I think 12m + would be considered long-term since its the reccommended time to have medical intervention at that point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ariesmommy84
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Tool me almost 3 years and 90lbs lost to finally get my bfp.
I'd say you're a lttc :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM
I was afraid of that.

Obviously, it changes nothing, physically. Emotionally, it's a label I never even imagined would apply to me... This is really hard. :*(

Oh, and 90 lbs and a BFP!! Good for you!

Quoting ariesmommy84:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ariesmommy84
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM
It is a label! I kept it ttc between a few friend and DH.
Allll those friends needed up preggo. Even my sister. Most of them hid it from me. It was awful. My sister showed up to my sons bday party 22 weeks preggo. I was furious.

I would keep it to myself!

Everyone around me was so prou of me losing weight ! And asked me why I decided to do it. I just said to be healthy. Secretly it was to be healthy.... And of course have a baby! I can plan to get back that way after baby.

Have you tried temping? Opks? Soy iso?

I did opks and soy to gett bfp!

Quoting Apollos82:

I was afraid of that.

Obviously, it changes nothing, physically. Emotionally, it's a label I never even imagined would apply to me... This is really hard. :*(

Quoting ariesmommy84:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM
I have a horrible TTC story, I think...
:(

My ex and I tried for the standard year, with obviously no luck. We then started doing the temp checking and everything (doc said no need to try before a year and, stupid me! I believed him!) still no luck. My ex refused to get checked because his sexist doctor told him I must not be tracking my temp correctly. Finally, after about a year and a half, he got checked. He is completely, 100% sterile.

Now, with my husband, I got cysts from the BC I was first on, an have had seven rupture since August. I have had the cysts for a year, but didn't know it.

I have just now pressed my doctor to get fertility tests and treatments. In his mind, the standard year of trying before testing "reset" when I remarried. (What???) So...I have really had to advocate for myself.

We did OPK this month (I usually know when/if I ovulate because it is EXTREMELY painful.) and I have a TSH and FSH test scheduled for CD3 next time around. I'm currently 2 DPO and on CD18, I think...though I can be sure. My doc put me on Microgestin to stop the cysts and it backfired horribly. I eventually broke out in hives from it and had to stop mid pack. I had two periods in 18 days, neither of them "on schedule."

We will see what my body decides to do soon enough, I suppose...

Quoting ariesmommy84:

It is a label! I kept it ttc between a few friend and DH.

Allll those friends needed up preggo. Even my sister. Most of them hid it from me. It was awful. My sister showed up to my sons bday party 22 weeks preggo. I was furious.

I would keep it to myself!

Everyone around me was so prou of me losing weight ! And asked me why I decided to do it. I just said to be healthy. Secretly it was to be healthy.... And of course have a baby! I can plan to get back that way after baby.

Have you tried temping? Opks? Soy iso?

I did opks and soy to gett bfp!

Quoting Apollos82:

I was afraid of that.

Quoting ariesmommy84:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Also, I'm estrogen dominant, so I actually need to avoid soy! :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bee33
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:08 PM
4 moms liked this

After becoming a member of Cafemom, and reading stories, and experiences of woman who have been TTC for a long time (anywhere from 1 year to 10 years).... it defeintely changes my view completely. I have been trying only for 4 months, but if or when I do receive my BFP I will be probably do things a little different than how I originally had planned.
My heart goes out to all the ladies who have been trying for such a long time. Emotionally, I dont think I could do it. I wish the best for you ladies, and pray that your day will come soon, where you will get to hold that bundle of joy.

Kimberly954
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I concider myself long term i guess since we have been ttc for #2 for over a year. DH and I just dont really agree what the next step should be. I want to try out natural holistic methods and he wants the invasive dr testing.

Apollos82
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:14 PM
I am sorry it's been so long for you. I know it's hard.

Something to pass on to your hubby for consideration: Natural and holistic can often be less expensive, is easier on and can even be good foryour body. If it doesn't work, worst case, your body will be very healthy and ready to bounce back from the invasive medical tests. However, if you have the invasive medical tests, they will be hard on your body and, if they don't work and you then try the holistic, it will be that much harder and take that much longer to get your body balanced and healthy again.

Quoting Kimberly954:

I concider myself long term i guess since we have been ttc for #2 for over a year. DH and I just dont really agree what the next step should be. I want to try out natural holistic methods and he wants the invasive dr testing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vcaulkins
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I have been ttc for 7 months but to me it feels like long term ttc just because it has taken me 8 yrs to get off of certain meds for health issues that I could not take in order to ttc. I honestly never thought I'd be able to get off the meds. So it feels like I've been working my way towards all this for 8 yrs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)