Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trying again...

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:29 PM
  • 3 Replies

I recently turned 37 years old.  My so and I are trying to conceive our third child.  We have two children, ages 16 1/2 years, and 10 1/2 months.  Same father.  (We got back together 2 1/2 years ago).

It took over 2 years to conceive our first son, 6 months to conceive the second.

We are trying for a third, but with a baby and a teenager, we find it difficult to find time alone together.  So while we're wanting another child, we haven't been able to find much time or energy for intimacy.

I want three or four kids; he would like three.  I'm hoping for twins, because I'm only going to do the pregnancy thing one more time.  If we only have the two...well, we're fine with that too.  One way or another, If I'm not pregnant by or before 40, well, I don't want to be 40 and pregnant...

I've always wanted more kids after my first.  There were many times I thought I was pregnant, and it's always been heart-breaking to find out I'm not...  I hate my period, and have always hated my period.  I know it's a part of my body functioning correctly, but, yeah, I still hate it.  Maybe cause it means I'm not pregnant.  :(  Or maybe, just because it sucks.

I was married for 10 years, and thankfully have no children with my ex-husband.  In our first few years of marriage, we were intimate every 2-3 weeks.  In the last years, it was once or twice a year.  Long story.

There was another man I was with, and we tried to have a baby together.  He's fertile...he has four kids.  Not getting into details, but we had no children together either.

But, anyway, I want another baby.  I don't know anything about ovulating.  I hope to learn a few things from you ladies...

If you have any questions, that's fine, they don't offend me, but due to the nature of the group, it's probably best to keep the discussion on topic.

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
BlueMom925
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:43 PM
Oh wow. Good luck baby dust
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamtags
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Thanks, hun :)  I'm reading the various messages in this forum, and I'm SO LOST...ack...  Between the abbreviations and terminology.  But I am serious about getting PG again, so I'm not leaving this one up to blind luck...

Quoting BlueMom925:

Oh wow. Good luck baby dust

TiffanyCtx
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Good luck to you! Here's some info on ovulating. Of course, if you're going to get pregnant, you need to have sex around ovulation time (the few days before, the day of, or maybe the day after). There are several ways to figure out when you ovulate. I think most of us use several methods to make sure we're really accurate.

1. Cycle Days/Body Cues: Generally, women ovulate about two weeks before the first day of their next period. So if you start tracking your periods, the day your period starts is Cycle Day (CD) 1. The last day of your period is the day before your next period starts. So, if you have a 28 day cycle, you'll probably ovulate around CD 14. This method is a good way to get a vague idea of when you might ovulate, so you could just want to have sex for the entire week surrounding your potential ovulation day. Unfortunately, all cycles don't fall into this neat little rule, so most women use some of the other methods to track ovulation. It helps to pay attention to your body cues, too. Many of us notice changes around ovulation (sore breast, bloating, little ovulation pains on the side we're ovulating on). The biggest noticeable change is probably cervical mucus, which becomes the texture of an egg white around ovulation. Egg white cervical mucus (EWCM) is one of the best indicators that it's time to get busy. Google images of ewcm to see what you're looking for. There are probably some pics on this site, too.

2. Ovulation Predictor Kits (OPKs): Pee on a stick and it tells you if you're ovulating. It tracks a hormone surge (LH surge) that your body has right before ovulation. So when you get a positive OPK, get busy, because you'll probably ovulate within 12-36 hours. The tricky part is your LH surge doesn't always last very long, so you can miss it if you're not careful. Start OPK testing early in your cycle (I start at CD5) and test everyday. Many women test twice a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon, to be sure they don't miss the surge. Since OPKs measure a hormone that indicates ovulation is coming (rather than measuring ovulation itself), there are some limitations. You might have the LH surge, but then not actually ovulate. Also, some women who are ovulating just don't have a high enough LH surge to trigger a positive OPK (that happened to me once). However, for many women, it's a really great tool to time sex.

3. Temping (BBT): I haven't done this one, so maybe someone else can offer more info. But basically, you buy a basal thermometer and take your temperature at the same time every morning before you ever get out of bed. Keep track of the temperatures and you'll be able to tell when you've ovulated. There are some great phone apps to help track it, too. The other fun thing about this method is that your temp chart may also alert you to the fact that you are pregnant before a test would even come up positive. The only downside is, this method tells you when you ovulate, not when you're going to ovulate so you can "plan ahead". I think a lot of people use OPKs and temping together when ttc.

Hope this info helps. Baby dust!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)