Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just started temping....advice?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM
  • 9 Replies
I just started temping this morning and wanted to know if anyone had any advice? I know that I should do it vaginally and do it around the same time every morning before I move around too much. Is there anything else I should know?

Also, are you ovulating when you get a spike in your temp or does the spike happen when ovulation has already occurred?

Would appreciate any help/advice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
purvislets
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like you are everything right so far. Temp at the same time everyday before moving around too much if possible. Also, it needs to be a time where you have had at least 3 hours of a uninterrupted sleep.

As far as the temp spikes, you will see a spike the day after ovulation has occurred. It is confirmed after 3 days of raised temperatures.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Quoting purvislets:

Sounds like you are everything right so far. Temp at the same time everyday before moving around too much if possible. Also, it needs to be a time where you have had at least 3 hours of a uninterrupted sleep.

As far as the temp spikes, you will see a spike the day after ovulation has occurred. It is confirmed after 3 days of raised temperatures.

Everything she said. :)

Good luck!

mdcountrygirl05
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 7:12 AM
I guess I'm just confused then on how temping will help then? If I take my temp and I get a spike that means ovulation has already occurred so would that mean it would be too late to bd?

Quoting purvislets:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyDust77
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 7:31 AM
Temping helps because it confirms that u have od, and u also learn a lot about ur body. O occurs once temp has a .2 or more increase, but ff wont confirm till u have 3 elevated temps. Just bc the spike happened doesnt mean u cant concieve afterwards. Remember...sperm can survive up to 24 hrs after. I always bd the day after just to make sure. Still....i also use opks bc they give the two best days to concieve. The digitals are best bc u dont have to determine intensity of lines.
purvislets
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Temping is not good for predicting ovulation unless you have been doing it for a few months.  Then, if your body seems to ovulate around the same CD everytime then you'll have a better idea about when to BD.  If you are wanting to predict your O date ahead of time, then I'd use OPK's and pay attention to your CM and cervical positions. 

Temping is the best for confirming that you did indeed ovulate.  Over time, knowing how many days are in between your O date and when AF shows will tell you whether or not AF is actually late.

mdcountrygirl05
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 6:09 PM
I'm wondering if I should even bother with temping then? I have pcos and my periods are very irregular... Currently on cd 54 without any signs of af or a bfp. I was hoping temping would tell me when im ovulating so that I could time bd around it but don't think it will help me very much if it tells me after I've ovulated and since I'm so irregular :(.

Quoting purvislets:

Temping is not good for predicting ovulation unless you have been doing it for a few months.  Then, if your body seems to ovulate around the same CD everytime then you'll have a better idea about when to BD.  If you are wanting to predict your O date ahead of time, then I'd use OPK's and pay attention to your CM and cervical positions. 

Temping is the best for confirming that you did indeed ovulate.  Over time, knowing how many days are in between your O date and when AF shows will tell you whether or not AF is actually late.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
purvislets
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM
I also have irregular cycles a majority of the time and find temping to be extremely helpful. It saves me a lot of stress as far as testing goes, because I know whether or not I ovulated and so I know whether our not I'm actually "late". While temping won't help you predict ovulation you can use your charts to show your doc what's going on with your cycle. Some docs will ask you to temp for a few cycles and bring in your charts for them to look at before taking any steps to help you ovulate. If you are already charting then you are ahead of the game.

If it wasn't for temping, I wouldn't have known I had ovulated back in the summer of '05 and probably wouldn't have realized that af was late. I didn't ovulate until CD 85 that cycle and got my bfp almost 3 weeks later. It may seem like a waste if time, but to me temping is definitely worth it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mdcountrygirl05
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 7:28 PM
Thank you for your help and advice! I will definitely try it (it's my second day) especially if my dr will want to see it. As you know, it just gets so frustrating with these long cycles and trying to predict ovulation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
purvislets
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM
You are welcome! It is very frustrating sometimes and can be very difficult to deal with. You aren't alone! Best of luck to you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)