Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

See the RE now, or wait?

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 3:49 PM
  • 13 Replies

We've been trying for our third for 16 months.  I've already tried clomid 50 mg and 100 mg prescribed by my regular ob/gyn.  It didn't work.  She recommends we see an RE.  I'm only 29, and my husband is 30.  We have two children together, ages 6 and 8.   I've been tracking my cycles for 6 months, and the non-clomid cycles have all been annovulatory.  The clomid cycles looked ovulatory, but my progesterone was low, so apparently I didn't actually ovulate.  Should we keep trying on our own for another 6 months, or just go ahead and see the RE?  What would you do?

by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sabina.M
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 5:30 AM

I would see an RE because if its been past 12 months of actively trying on your own then its time to get help. Plus an RE can help more in depth with fertility issues. But it is up to you and what you want .

DMSantana1
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 5:51 AM

I would see an RE though I dont see why you ob cant up your dosage to 150 mine was willing to do it to I think 200 before throwing in the towel

TiffanyCtx
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I would definitely go see an RE. A lot can change in your fertility in 6 years and it's really common for people who had no trouble conceiving their first or second child to have trouble when they try again a few years later. I know 29 feels young, but sometimes are bodies don't act their age. I've had recurrent miscarriages (3 of them), and I'm only 28. My friend who just turned 30 found out that her egg quality and quantity is low (more like that of a pre-menopausal woman). The good news is that there are tons of treatment options to help. She just started a treatment plan and is hoping for a healthy pregnancy very soon.

If you have a progesterone issue, an RE can also work with you to balance your hormone levels as well. Good luck!

Jellybean82
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I called the clinic and left a message for the nurse.  I'm going to take the referral. 

leandrat
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I deff would see the RE and make sure you dont start over with them TONS of RE want you do REDO what your OB has done IE- starting over with clomid and blood work though you already know it didnt work thats about 500-1500 a pop at a RE so tell them OFF TOP you want to start something NEW

lisajoanne
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Since you know that you're not ovulating when you should be and you've put in the time and effort with an OB/GYN, I'd go see the RE now. I mean, I know there are people that will say 6 mos. trying isn't that long, and I guess it depends on how easy/hard it was to conceive your other kids. But if it were me, I'd probably go see the RE.

Blessing, 
Lisa Joanne

"'Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.'" ~ A. A. Milne

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Jellybean82
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 1:02 PM

My other two were conceived on the first try, but that was 7 and 9 years ago.  We've actually been trying for 16 months this time. I didn't track my cycles the first 10 months, as I wasn't expecting any problems.

Quoting lisajoanne:

Since you know that you're not ovulating when you should be and you've put in the time and effort with an OB/GYN, I'd go see the RE now. I mean, I know there are people that will say 6 mos. trying isn't that long, and I guess it depends on how easy/hard it was to conceive your other kids. But if it were me, I'd probably go see the RE.

Jellybean82
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I really, really hope they'll be able to use some of the test results from my ob/gyn.  Money is definitely a concern.

Quoting leandrat:

I deff would see the RE and make sure you dont start over with them TONS of RE want you do REDO what your OB has done IE- starting over with clomid and blood work though you already know it didnt work thats about 500-1500 a pop at a RE so tell them OFF TOP you want to start something NEW

TurtleSquish
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

see an RE. you're wasting time otherwise. Clomid should only be used 12 times in a lifetime and an RE will know what to do. My RE did clomid and trigger, and my progesterone level went from being a 6.1 last month to 24 this month. Good luck!

Jellybean82
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:14 PM

So did you end up pregnant with the clomid and trigger?

Quoting TurtleSquish:

see an RE. you're wasting time otherwise. Clomid should only be used 12 times in a lifetime and an RE will know what to do. My RE did clomid and trigger, and my progesterone level went from being a 6.1 last month to 24 this month. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)