Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OPK fmu or anytime??

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:41 AM
  • 18 Replies

When do you get the best OPK reading?  First in the morning or anytime during the day.  I am on day 2 of clomid but i'm already getting a pretty dark reading (not there yet but close) does that sound right???

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:48 AM

You cant go by close. Because women can have no line or some line for days and then BAM its positive. So dont go by anything but a BFP. As far as when to test, from what I have read and the suggestions given to me I test around 2 in the afternoon. Its not recommended to test with FMU because unlike with PT ovulation test check for LH which can actually be deluted with FMU. So mid day is best. Some women test multiple times a day. Last month I had a 3 days surge so I am testing once a day. 

1amazingfamily
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Thank you.  I think I might google it and find a little more info on it.  I didn't realize the lines would go and come. 

MeganECox
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I heard that the FMU wasn't accurate because the LH can be built up therefore giving a false postive? (I've never gotten a pos opk so I have no idea)

Quoting NoraDun:

You cant go by close. Because women can have no line or some line for days and then BAM its positive. So dont go by anything but a BFP. As far as when to test, from what I have read and the suggestions given to me I test around 2 in the afternoon. Its not recommended to test with FMU because unlike with PT ovulation test check for LH which can actually be deluted with FMU. So mid day is best. Some women test multiple times a day. Last month I had a 3 days surge so I am testing once a day. 

vcaulkins
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I was told by my RE to test twice a day bc some women's surges can last 12 hrs or less so you can miss it. Also, when testing in the morning, use your 2nd urine

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Well I am not sure...that wasn't my udnerstanding but I may be wrong. When I first starting taking OPKs it was with FMU and I never got a BFP. But hmmmI will have to do a bit of research now LOL

Quoting MeganECox:

I heard that the FMU wasn't accurate because the LH can be built up therefore giving a false postive? (I've never gotten a pos opk so I have no idea)

Quoting NoraDun:

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Ok I got this from peeonastick.com

10. Should I use first morning urine (FMU) with OPK's? No. LH is synthesized early in the day, and is not metabolized into your urine until later. So, as a rule, you are more likely to catch your surge later in the day. ("They" say you should test sometime around 2-4 p.m., but I've had fine luck at 10 p.m.-midnight.) Using FMU may not be a problem for you, but if you do not detect a surge during the cycle you use FMU, try testing later during the next cycle.

MeganECox
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I still don't completely grasp the concept of OPK's which is why we will use the CLear Blue ones, either a happy face or not! LOL 

1amazingfamily
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:06 AM

This is what I found too.  I also read you should test 2 times a day b/c some surges may only last 12 hours.  I have a 100 of them so looks like i'm going to become a poas addict!!! :)  

Quoting NoraDun:

10. Should I use first morning urine (FMU) with OPK's? No. LH is synthesized early in the day, and is not metabolized into your urine until later. So, as a rule, you are more likely to catch your surge later in the day. ("They" say you should test sometime around 2-4 p.m., but I've had fine luck at 10 p.m.-midnight.) Using FMU may not be a problem for you, but if you do not detect a surge during the cycle you use FMU, try testing later during the next cycle.

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Well and seriously it does kinda fill that urge to POAS LOL I use them often when I am in my 2 ww just to fill the urge LOL. And because they are super cheap. 

Quoting 1amazingfamily:

This is what I found too.  I also read you should test 2 times a day b/c some surges may only last 12 hours.  I have a 100 of them so looks like i'm going to become a poas addict!!! :)  

Quoting NoraDun:

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Those seem super nice. Unfortunately I use so many and I O so little that I couldn't afford to use them LOL I really do like the Wondfo test. You get 100 plus 20 PT for 24. And I just Od and got my first positive OPK but had months of not ovulating and they were all  negative. So they seem accurate! And they are pretty easy to ready. Not as easy as a happy face though LOL

ALTHOUGH....Hubby knows when I O because I look at the wondfo OPK and I have a happy face LMAO...ok that was a horrible joke LOL...but kinda funny right! 

Quoting MeganECox:

I still don't completely grasp the concept of OPK's which is why we will use the CLear Blue ones, either a happy face or not! LOL 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)