• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fertility Monitor vs. OPK sticks

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:10 PM
  • 5 Replies

Okay, so last month, my monitor showed that I ovulated later and had a short LP.  I thought it may be defunct since the last time I used it was 4 years ago to conceive DS, so I purchased the Clear Blue  Digital Ovulation Sticks (with the happy face!).  Well, I'm suspecting that it may have been due to the half-marathon that I did on CD6, so I'm wondering whether I should go ahead and use my OPK sticks or use my fertility monitor.  If I use my fertility monitor, I need to buy more sticks from amazon.

It seems with the OPK sticks, it is best to test twice a day and I have a box of 20, so I'm good for only 20 days.

For OPK sticks, if I test twice a day, how far apart should I test.  I know some recommended that you not use fmu, so should I test at say, the second day's urine and 8-12 hours later?  9am and 9pm?

If I run out of OPK sticks, and I just use a new box to finish out the week?

I'm currently CD8 and my cycle is usually 31 days and last month, I ovulated on CD21 instead of the usual CD17-18, like before my son. 

Has anyone ever used their fertility monitor this far apart?

Sidenote:

To be honest, I don't know if I ovulated due to my half-marathons or whether it has been like this since I stopped the birth control back in December. 

I started birth control when my son was 9 weeks, and stopped a couple weeks after he turned 3, where a couple of weeks later I did a half-marathon, and that cycle I ovulated way later, I stopped tracking since DH wanted to wait a bit, but I know it was past CD17, and I assume I ovulated late since my period was about 7-10 days late, so I stopped tracking my cycle, then when he agreed again, I started tracking again in March, last cycle, which is where I ovulated on CD21 and my period came on CD31, and I did a half-marathon on CD6 of that cycle.  Needless to say, I'm not doing any more half-marathons until September.  If I'm pregnant by then, I just plan to walk it, but I'm assuming that it may not be a faulty monitor and may be due to the races I was doing.  However, I didn't want to take any chances.  I told DH that we are bringing our A-Game this cycle, "Go Hard or Go Home!", yes I told him that.  I have pre-natals, I have pre-seed, I cut back on running and other activities.  I get more sleep.  I told him he needs to take a multi-vitamin and drink more water.  We want OLYMPIC swimmers...lol

I

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
-Mommy-2-Three-
by Kary on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Okay well for starters ovulation can move, some women will ovulate on CD13 one month & CD19 the next.............I have ovulated as early as CD13 & as late as CD22 before. Ovulation changing can be normal however LP should stay consistant (within 1-2 days at least) & should optimally be between 12-16 days.

Also I recommend testing 2x per day with OPK, once around 2pm & again shortly before bed (9-11pm).............for some women LH surge only last 6-12 hrs.........LH has to synthesize in the urine so its unlikely to see a LH surge with fmu!!! If you are a person who drinks tons of water (like myself) then you will have the best luck if you test later at night & make a conscious effort to stop drinking water after dinner time.

chrissydan
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:26 PM
I used both actually
i did the fm with fmu then the opk at noon then 6 then 10 good thing cuz i started oing at 6 pm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
creoletexan
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:15 AM
Thanks! I do drink tons of water, so that's good to know! I'll test at 2pm and 9pm, I try to slow down on the water towards the benign so that I'm not getting up in the middle of the night.

I assume my cycle will be 31 days so I was planning to start testing with OPK on CD12. Should I start sooner? If so, I may not have enough if I ovulate late like before on CD21 again.

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

Okay well for starters ovulation can move, some women will ovulate on CD13 one month & CD19 the next.............I have ovulated as early as CD13 & as late as CD22 before. Ovulation changing can be normal however LP should stay consistant (within 1-2 days at least) & should optimally be between 12-16 days.

Also I recommend testing 2x per day with OPK, once around 2pm & again shortly before bed (9-11pm).............for some women LH surge only last 6-12 hrs.........LH has to synthesize in the urine so its unlikely to see a LH surge with fmu!!! If you are a person who drinks tons of water (like myself) then you will have the best luck if you test later at night & make a conscious effort to stop drinking water after dinner time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
creoletexan
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:17 AM
Did the Fertilty monitor help at all since you were already testing with opk tests 3x a day?

Quoting chrissydan:

I used both actually

i did the fm with fmu then the opk at noon then 6 then 10 good thing cuz i started oing at 6 pm

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrissydan
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:21 AM
Yes they both pin pointed o the same time the opk the night befor and the morning and the fm the next morning after the first + opk

Quoting creoletexan:

Did the Fertilty monitor help at all since you were already testing with opk tests 3x a day?

Quoting chrissydan:

I used both actually

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)