Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Infertility Clinic Consultation

Posted by   + Show Post

I just made an appointment for my first consultation at RMA in Somerset.  If my medical records are able to get sent to them by this Wednesday, I will have my appointment on Monday, May 7.  I'm scared and don't know what to expect.  I have had PCOS since I was a teenager, and my DH and I have been trying for a baby for 20 months.  I've been hold off on going to the clinic because I was hoping the metformin would do the trick.  Last week, I was told after an ultrasound that I can't afford to wait in the slightest bit if I hope to have a baby.  Hearing this made me schedule that consultation at the clinic. 

I have a few questions that I'm hoping some of you wonderful ladies will be able to help me with.confused

1.  Have any of you ever been to RMA?  What was it like?  What should I expect?                                         Even if you haven't been to RMA, what was it like, and what should I expect?

2.  My consultation is $450...is that too expensive or is it the average price you've seen?

3.  Do you have any suggestions on what I should ask the doctor?                                                                     Everything feels like a blur to me, and I just can't think straight.blank stare

Thanks for the support! 

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Replies (21-23):
Analeigh2012
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I am very thankful to my employer... I pay a portion of the premiums, but every employer can determine what is covered and what isn't covered. My employer drew the line at IVF and IVF drugs. So, I am eternally grateful to them and the insurance company has been wonderful! I call them every couple of weeks to ensure claims have been submitted correctly. I wanted to show them I was a Consientious person, so I asked if they had agreements with labs near me that would decrease their costs for covered services. They had negotiated cheap rates with a lab that is maybe 10 minutes out of my way, but I use that lab. It has helped. I disputed one bill they declined and they took it back under immediate review, approved payment at 100% and the bill was paid. I have Cigna and I cannot say enough good things about them!

Quoting vcaulkins:

man I'm jealous of your insurance too!

Quoting Analeigh2012:

I went for my initial consultation at the end of March. My GYN had already sent me for an HSG plus bloodwork, a pap and a mammogram. Bloodwork was Day 3 to show FSH and hormone levels. Our initial consult lasted about two hours. We reviewed all my medical files and thoroughly went over the questionnaire with the RE. It was a true consult, no exam at all. DH was sent for a SA, I was scheduled for an U/S on my next cycle, day 4. We were both sent for more bloodwork... Full infectious disease panels, I had RH factor, blood typing and varicella antibody check as well. Day of my U/S they took more blood to check hormone levels and egg quality / quantity. (U/S showed 7 follicles developing). I am 41, been with my hubs for almost 15 years and we have never protected against getting pregnant. Hubs does have an erectile dysfunction / medical condition and cannot get, retain erections without substantial effort and pain, and if he does, he is only able to ejaculate 5% of the time. His SA was excellent (185 million, normal mot and morph). My HSG shows no blockages, deformities or growths in either tube or uterus. All of our tests have been normal. We go back for another consult this Thursday afternoon, where the RE will make treatment recommendations. My insurance is phenomenal. $25 copayment for any visit. All tests, bloodwork and if we do AI, IUI - all covered 100%. Drugs and IVF are not covered though. At our initial, we also sat down with "our" nurse who corresponds almost daily with me via email. Then we sat down with the financial counselor who reviewed what my insurance would and wouldn't cover. oh, we did elect to have genetics testing done. The cost of that is $350 and we are waiting to see how much of that the insurance will pay.

I think every appointment will be different based on your particular situation. The RE told me to stop temping and stop using OPK because she is just going to start treating me. I think because of my age. Good luck and keep us posted! Sorry for the lengthy reply!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimber1984
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Quoting ttc0710:

Money is always an issue with this stuff whether you're married or not.  My insurance doesn't cover a dime with any of this.  Once it's considered infertility treatment, they won't cover those particular services. 

I'm just curious why she told you to come back after you were married.  Was this her personal belief that you should become pregnant only if you're married?  OR  did she assume you would be able to afford it because you were married?  I don't know...both thoughts are rubbing me the wrong way.  :-(

Quoting Kimber1984:

I had a fertility clinic consultation and she just talked to me about some background history and about what my SO and I wanted. We talked about money because that was the major issue so, she sent in the lady that does the banking for her. After getting through that she told us to come back after we were married so, she could do the tests and we could afford to pay for them. Well, right now we cant afford to get married so, I feel at a stand still! I am angry and sad!

frustrated

I took it as she thought I would be on my man's insurance and that I could afford it after I was married.

ttc0710
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:05 PM

oh ok.  I guess that would make some kind of sense then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)