Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Infertility Clinic Consultation

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:47 PM
  • 23 Replies

I just made an appointment for my first consultation at RMA in Somerset.  If my medical records are able to get sent to them by this Wednesday, I will have my appointment on Monday, May 7.  I'm scared and don't know what to expect.  I have had PCOS since I was a teenager, and my DH and I have been trying for a baby for 20 months.  I've been hold off on going to the clinic because I was hoping the metformin would do the trick.  Last week, I was told after an ultrasound that I can't afford to wait in the slightest bit if I hope to have a baby.  Hearing this made me schedule that consultation at the clinic. 

I have a few questions that I'm hoping some of you wonderful ladies will be able to help me with.confused

1.  Have any of you ever been to RMA?  What was it like?  What should I expect?                                         Even if you haven't been to RMA, what was it like, and what should I expect?

2.  My consultation is $450...is that too expensive or is it the average price you've seen?

3.  Do you have any suggestions on what I should ask the doctor?                                                                     Everything feels like a blur to me, and I just can't think straight.blank stare

Thanks for the support! 

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vcaulkins
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Hi! I had my 1st fertility clinic appt last month. The consultation was only $200 (it was in CA). The RE did a pelvic exam and an U/S after discussing my infertility and how we would proceed. He also tested me for chlamydia and gonorrhea even though I just had a pap smear the week before. I though that was kind of odd, but maybe they don't check for that at pap smears? I had to pay $70 for the labwork. My DH had a SA done the same day. It cost $150. May I ask why they told you that you can't afford to wait based on the U/S? Just curious.  ;)

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 15 to 80 day cycle tickers

ellemoro
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM

vcaulkins where are you from? if you don't mind me asking how long have you been ttc?

Quoting vcaulkins:

Hi! I had my 1st fertility clinic appt last month. The consultation was only $200 (it was in CA). The RE did a pelvic exam and an U/S after discussing what my infertility and how we would proceed. He also tested me for chlamydia and gonorrhea even though I just had a pap smear the week before. I though that was kind of odd, but maybe they don't check for that at pap smears? I had to pay $70 for the labwork. My DH had a SA done the same day. It cost $150. May I ask why they told you that you can't afford to wait based on the U/S? Just curious.  ;)

vcaulkins
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I'm in northern California. I've been TTC for about a yr now. I had a mc in March

Quoting ellemoro:

vcaulkins where are you from? if you don't mind me asking how long have you been ttc?

Quoting vcaulkins:

Hi! I had my 1st fertility clinic appt last month. The consultation was only $200 (it was in CA). The RE did a pelvic exam and an U/S after discussing what my infertility and how we would proceed. He also tested me for chlamydia and gonorrhea even though I just had a pap smear the week before. I though that was kind of odd, but maybe they don't check for that at pap smears? I had to pay $70 for the labwork. My DH had a SA done the same day. It cost $150. May I ask why they told you that you can't afford to wait based on the U/S? Just curious.  ;)

DreaminofCupcak
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I am in Nor Cal too.. My consult was today at Kaiser. It was $20 and he did U/S and I had all my bloodwork done. Also he has me choosing clomid and menopur or menopur injections. Our SA was $210 at an independent clinic.  Our IUI is $20 office visit and $8 for meds

ttc0710
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:55 PM
vcaulkins- before my u/s, I skipped my period for two months in Feb & March. I've had PCOS for 15- 16 years, and I miss many periods without meds. This issue is getting worse. I was on metformin for 8 months which resulted in zero pregnancies. Once my met was finished, my periods started to fade away, which means I'm not ovulating. When I went last week for the u/s, I should've been ovulating (cd 18), but I didn't have a mature follicle ( I was restarted on metformin on April 9). Sorry if this is confusing. I have a follow up appointment with my ob/gyn on Wednesday, and I'm going to mention what the u/s doctor said.
vcaulkins
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:03 AM

That's nice - do you have insurance that covers it? We're paying out-of-pocket for everything. 

Quoting DreaminofCupcak:

I am in Nor Cal too.. My consult was today at Kaiser. It was $20 and he did U/S and I had all my bloodwork done. Also he has me choosing clomid and menopur or menopur injections. Our SA was $210 at an independent clinic.  Our IUI is $20 office visit and $8 for meds

vcaulkins
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I understand ;) I have PCOS too - it's why I'm taking Clomid. I don't have to take Metformin though. My cycles have been getting worse over the past 2 years where they're always between 2-5 months apart! So I kind of know where you're coming from. It's just weird that they worded it to you like that about not being able to wait at all due to what they saw on the U/S. When I had my last U/S at the RE he said he could tell that I would not O (I wasn't on Clomid that month bc I just had a mc) and it was CD18 for me too! FX for you that you'll get a good plan from the RE you see and that it's not as bad as the U/S dr made it sound! ;)

Quoting ttc0710:

vcaulkins- before my u/s, I skipped my period for two months in Feb & March. I've had PCOS for 15- 16 years, and I miss many periods without meds. This issue is getting worse. I was on metformin for 8 months which resulted in zero pregnancies. Once my met was finished, my periods started to fade away, which means I'm not ovulating. When I went last week for the u/s, I should've been ovulating (cd 18), but I didn't have a mature follicle ( I was restarted on metformin on April 9). Sorry if this is confusing. I have a follow up appointment with my ob/gyn on Wednesday, and I'm going to mention what the u/s doctor said.

ttc0710
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:18 AM
The weird thing is that I've had three different doctors tell me similar things since my early twenties until now -30. I've never been pregnant, and I think that is one of the concerns for them. Maybe my egg quality is no good. I think I'm going to end up on chlomid too. Maybe he doesn't want all the initial testing to push me further into my thirties which would make it even harder. Who knows?! Lol. I'll ask my gyno what the report says.
vcaulkins
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I've only been pregnant the one time from Clomid but had a mc. I'm 31

Quoting ttc0710:

The weird thing is that I've had three different doctors tell me similar things since my early twenties until now -30. I've never been pregnant, and I think that is one of the concerns for them. Maybe my egg quality is no good. I think I'm going to end up on chlomid too. Maybe he doesn't want all the initial testing to push me further into my thirties which would make it even harder. Who knows?! Lol. I'll ask my gyno what the report says.

DreaminofCupcak
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Yes. I have Kaiser thru m employer (Sacramento county) I only have $20 office visit copays.

Quoting vcaulkins:

That's nice - do you have insurance that covers it? We're paying out-of-pocket for everything. 

Quoting DreaminofCupcak:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured