Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Late Period, Positive OPK.?

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM
  • 14 Replies

Has anyone ever have this? I spotted 7dpo...currently 4 days late, so I took a hpt and OPK today..hpt was negative, opk was big bright positive! What the heck is going on?? I know I O alreayd, and wouldnt be O after a late AF, anyone ever have this? what was the outcome? Any ideas would greatly be appreciated!

by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoraDun
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Sounds like your ovulating either for the first time (maybe your body geared up to O but didn't) or again. OPKs can be use as pregnancy tests but by the time you get a positive OPK you could get a positive HPT because OPKS arent very sensitive. I would be bedding just incase, and expect AF may be a little later then you expected!

TTCbby1
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Hm...thanks for the response. I know I O 18 days ago, so im just really confused!! Ive read online that alot of women get this, and end up getting a bfp..idk. grrrr!! Ill just keep on BDing! And waiting, cant do much else

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Then your 18DPO?? 

Quoting TTCbby1:

Hm...thanks for the response. I know I O 18 days ago, so im just really confused!! Ive read online that alot of women get this, and end up getting a bfp..idk. grrrr!! Ill just keep on BDing! And waiting, cant do much else

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Additionally, OPK's are not as sensitive as a lot of HPT's are. This means that, if pregnant, you are likely to get a positive HPT earlier than you would get a positive OPK.

Elaboration: a lot of women e-mailed me expressing surprise at this. Keep in mind that HPT's are oftenmore sensitive than advertised. First Response Early Result was found, in one recent clinical trial, to detect consistently as low as 12.5 mIU/mL of hCG, and sometimes as low as 4.5! OPK's are never more sensitive than advertised (they are detecting a hormone "surge"; if they are too sensitive they will turn positive from the normal all-the-time presence of LH in the female body.) The most sensitive OPK's on the market are 20 mIU, and some are sensitive to 30 or 40 mIU. OPK's may have a second line in the presence of less hormone-- the sensitivity refers to the threshold at which it turns positive.

So, if you are comparing a sensitive (20 mIU) OPK to some less-sensitive HPT's (sensitive to 25-50 mIU) then yes, it's true an OPK may turn positive before an HPT. However, the most sensitive HPT's available are more sensitive than the most sensitive OPK's available.

Most importantly, OPK's are not purified as well as HPT's are. Therefore, they are more prone to "errors" and positives do not always mean that either LH or hCG was detected. In other words . . . they're simply cheaper, shoddier tests.

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I got this from peeonastick.com Check them out! Good luck hopefully your preggo!

Quoting NoraDun:

Additionally, OPK's are not as sensitive as a lot of HPT's are. This means that, if pregnant, you are likely to get a positive HPT earlier than you would get a positive OPK.

Elaboration: a lot of women e-mailed me expressing surprise at this. Keep in mind that HPT's are oftenmore sensitive than advertised. First Response Early Result was found, in one recent clinical trial, to detect consistently as low as 12.5 mIU/mL of hCG, and sometimes as low as 4.5! OPK's are never more sensitive than advertised (they are detecting a hormone "surge"; if they are too sensitive they will turn positive from the normal all-the-time presence of LH in the female body.) The most sensitive OPK's on the market are 20 mIU, and some are sensitive to 30 or 40 mIU. OPK's may have a second line in the presence of less hormone-- the sensitivity refers to the threshold at which it turns positive.

So, if you are comparing a sensitive (20 mIU) OPK to some less-sensitive HPT's (sensitive to 25-50 mIU) then yes, it's true an OPK may turn positive before an HPT. However, the most sensitive HPT's available are more sensitive than the most sensitive OPK's available.

Most importantly, OPK's are not purified as well as HPT's are. Therefore, they are more prone to "errors" and positives do not always mean that either LH or hCG was detected. In other words . . . they're simply cheaper, shoddier tests.

TTCbby1
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Yes I am! and AF is 4 days late

Quoting NoraDun:

Then your 18DPO?? 

Quoting TTCbby1:

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Get a blood test. It realy seems like maybe you are. 18dpo...that is pretty late. Keep us posted!!

Quoting TTCbby1:

Quoting NoraDun:

Then your 18DPO?? 

Quoting TTCbby1:

TTCbby1
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I really want to but I dont have insurance, therefore I would have to go to a community clinic and Im not sure if they even do it..They would probably do a urine test :( IDK what to do :/ Ive never been through this before!! (I had twitching in my lower tummy where i was having a dull pain all last week while typing this message :) )

Quoting NoraDun:

Get a blood test. It realy seems like maybe you are. 18dpo...that is pretty late. Keep us posted!!

Quoting TTCbby1:

Quoting NoraDun:

Then your 18DPO?? 

Quoting TTCbby1:

Seximama23
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Test with a first response early result in a day or two..i.didnt test positive until I was two weeks late
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turkey714
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Keep us posted!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured