Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Progesterone cream question

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:11 PM
  • 9 Replies

I've been thinking about ordering it from early pregnancy, but my question is, if I really need it? Can anyone use it, or is it mainly for women who have progesterone issues?

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Lizzys_mommy13
by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:21 PM

BUMP!

GwenMB
by Gwen on May. 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I think anyone can use it, but I'd want my progesterone tested early on to see if I really need it or not.  I plan to call my OB & ask for a progesterone test if I ever get a BFP (I don't even care about the hcg test so much although I expect they'd want to do that too).

pryn4amiracle
by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Last time my progesterone levels were good. Actually I've never had a problem, I was just wondering if that might help prevent another chemical once I conceive. 

Thank you!

Quoting GwenMB:

I think anyone can use it, but I'd want my progesterone tested early on to see if I really need it or not.  I plan to call my OB & ask for a progesterone test if I ever get a BFP (I don't even care about the hcg test so much although I expect they'd want to do that too).

GwenMB
by Gwen on May. 16, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I think chemical's are the result of the fertilized egg not being able to grow into a healthy baby - the dna got messed up in the whole process.  So progesterone wouldn't help that, and in fact could actually hurt since your progesterone being artifically high could prevent you from miscarrying when you should.  I may be wrong, but that's what I think & that's why I'd get my progesterone tested before doing too much with supplements when pregnant.

Quoting pryn4amiracle:

Last time my progesterone levels were good. Actually I've never had a problem, I was just wondering if that might help prevent another chemical once I conceive. 

Thank you!

Quoting GwenMB:

pryn4amiracle
by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Yeah, that makes sense. I was always on the fence about ordering it, just b/c I've never had a problem. Thanks again!

Quoting GwenMB:

I think chemical's are the result of the fertilized egg not being able to grow into a healthy baby - the dna got messed up in the whole process.  So progesterone wouldn't help that, and in fact could actually hurt since your progesterone being artifically high could prevent you from miscarrying when you should.  I may be wrong, but that's what I think & that's why I'd get my progesterone tested before doing too much with supplements when pregnant.

Quoting pryn4amiracle:

Thank you!

Quoting GwenMB:

skmehlebam
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:57 PM

For progesterone to work to it's fullest you need to start using it between 1-3dpo, before implantation even occurs. I had 2 chemical pregnancies due to low progesterone, and then finally when I started using progesterone cream I stayed pregnant the first month of trying it! I started using it at 1dpo.

I got my bfp at 9dpo and at 10dpo my progesterone level was only 8.7. I then switched to prescription strength progesterone suppositories and now have a healthy 22 week 4 day baby boy growing my my belly!

I had a luteal phase defect due to my low progesterone though. I used FemGest from GNC from 1dpo - 9dpo. Then at 10dpo started on 200mg of the suppositories until 17 weeks. I could had stopped at 14 weeks though but due to other issues my OB had me stay on them until the high risk dr ok'd me going off it.

The cream doesn't offer enough dosage to mess anything up but could be what it takes to keep an early pregnancy going until you can get prescription strength!

Due to my low progesterone, had I not been on progesterone I would of lost this baby.

BabyFruit Tickerpregnant

pryn4amiracle
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Aww, congrats on the baby!! I'm so glad the progesterone cream helped! and now you're half way through :) You're almost there. Does it seem like forever? I've never been pregnant but I just imagine that to me it'd feel like forever to see my baby. 

So when you get an HCG test do they automatically check for progesterone too? Or do I have to ask specifically for that? I had HCG checked once or twice, but they never said anything, they just told me it was negative. 

Quoting skmehlebam:

For progesterone to work to it's fullest you need to start using it between 1-3dpo, before implantation even occurs. I had 2 chemical pregnancies due to low progesterone, and then finally when I started using progesterone cream I stayed pregnant the first month of trying it! I started using it at 1dpo.

I got my bfp at 9dpo and at 10dpo my progesterone level was only 8.7. I then switched to prescription strength progesterone suppositories and now have a healthy 22 week 4 day baby boy growing my my belly!

I had a luteal phase defect due to my low progesterone though. I used FemGest from GNC from 1dpo - 9dpo. Then at 10dpo started on 200mg of the suppositories until 17 weeks. I could had stopped at 14 weeks though but due to other issues my OB had me stay on them until the high risk dr ok'd me going off it.

The cream doesn't offer enough dosage to mess anything up but could be what it takes to keep an early pregnancy going until you can get prescription strength!

Due to my low progesterone, had I not been on progesterone I would of lost this baby.

skmehlebam
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:36 AM
When I was ttc and tracking my cycles with temping I realized I have a lpd. My Lp only ranged between 7-9days long so I had all my homomes checked while I was ttc and found that I had low progesterone, which I pretty much figured since I had a lpd. So when I got pregnant I requested they check my progesterone. I didn't have it checked with my other 3 kids. They normally don't check it unless the women has had known ttc problems or prior losses. To be on the safe side def request they check it! You are on control of your health care!

This is my fourth baby and yes pregnancy takes forever!!! I love having my kids but I just wish it didn't take so long to get them here!!!

Good luck and pm me if you have any more questions I may be able to help with!
Quoting pryn4amiracle:

Aww, congrats on the baby!! I'm so glad the progesterone cream helped! and now you're half way through :) You're almost there. Does it seem like forever? I've never been pregnant but I just imagine that to me it'd feel like forever to see my baby. 

So when you get an HCG test do they automatically check for progesterone too? Or do I have to ask specifically for that? I had HCG checked once or twice, but they never said anything, they just told me it was negative. 

Quoting skmehlebam:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pryn4amiracle
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Thanks, I really appreciate it! My progesterone has been normal so far, but you never know. I mean I'm not that young anymore (almost 38), so I guess things can change. I might start using progesterone cream if this cycle didn't work, and whenever I get pregnant I'll ask for a progesterone check too. Thanks for all the info! I might take you up on your offer :) We're done with IUIs so we're TTC on our own, so probably I'm gonna have more questions as we go :) 

So how's the pregnancy so far? Are your other kids excited? What are you having?

Quoting skmehlebam:

When I was ttc and tracking my cycles with temping I realized I have a lpd. My Lp only ranged between 7-9days long so I had all my homomes checked while I was ttc and found that I had low progesterone, which I pretty much figured since I had a lpd. So when I got pregnant I requested they check my progesterone. I didn't have it checked with my other 3 kids. They normally don't check it unless the women has had known ttc problems or prior losses. To be on the safe side def request they check it! You are on control of your health care!

This is my fourth baby and yes pregnancy takes forever!!! I love having my kids but I just wish it didn't take so long to get them here!!!

Good luck and pm me if you have any more questions I may be able to help with!
Quoting pryn4amiracle:

Quoting skmehlebam:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN