Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Important info for moms, and mom-to-bes.

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:15 AM
  • 17 Replies

I'm not sure how many of you know about this, so I apologize if it's a repeat to some of you, but I thought I should share the info. I've heard about it before, but there wasn't that much emphasis on the subject. Yesterday AM I was watching The Today show, and they did an undercover investigation on crib products that could be deadly. According to experts your infant should not have anything in the crib. No bumpers, pillows, stuffed animals etc. A blanket only if it's under the baby. Here's the link to the video if anyone's interested in watching it: 

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/47414692/ns/today-today_rossen_reports/#.T7To6utSQdY

by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pryn4amiracle
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I hate bumping my own post, but I'd like to get the word out for others who might've not heard about this.

GwenMB
by Gwen on May. 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM

It was rather shocking to me when I found out the number of things that are sold for babies that really aren't safe.  Crib bumpers being one of them!  I really wonder why all these manufactorers don't make breathable bumpers that match their cute nursery bedding.

pryn4amiracle
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Maybe they haven't thought about it yet, or they're simply just selling good b/c many parents don't know or don't believe what could happen. Is there like a website with unsafe baby stuff as a warning for parents? lol I'm kinda joking here, but it would be good if there was. I probably don't know half of it...

Quoting GwenMB:

It was rather shocking to me when I found out the number of things that are sold for babies that really aren't safe.  Crib bumpers being one of them!  I really wonder why all these manufactorers don't make breathable bumpers that match their cute nursery bedding.

Lizzys_mommy13
by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:29 AM

They do make a bumper now that is safe to go in the crib with no risk of suffocation, just so everyone know! But generally, no, those are a big thing that get highlighted as not ok.

Lizzys_mommy13
by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Here are a few of the safer bumpers. Click me!

pryn4amiracle
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Thanks, I didn't know that, but I think the ones in the stores are not the same ones you have the link to. They're still selling the same stuff...

Quoting Lizzys_mommy13:

They do make a bumper now that is safe to go in the crib with no risk of suffocation, just so everyone know! But generally, no, those are a big thing that get highlighted as not ok.

Lizzys_mommy13
by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I've seen them at burlington coat factory, but I haven't shopped for infant stuff in a couple years now. Walmart carries them too. Here is their link.

Quoting pryn4amiracle:

Thanks, I didn't know that, but I think the ones in the stores are not the same ones you have the link to. They're still selling the same stuff...

Quoting Lizzys_mommy13:

pryn4amiracle
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Thank you! I'm gonna save all these links for future reference :D

Quoting Lizzys_mommy13:

I've seen them at burlington coat factory, but I haven't shopped for infant stuff in a couple years now. Walmart carries them too. Here is their link.

Quoting pryn4amiracle:

Quoting Lizzys_mommy13:

pryn4amiracle
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I think I'm gonna write to the today show so they talk about this, b/c I'm pretty sure there are other women that don't know about the breathable bumpers. They need to talk about the good stuff too, not only the bad!

Quoting Lizzys_mommy13:

Quoting pryn4amiracle:

Quoting Lizzys_mommy13:

GwenMB
by Gwen on May. 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah I think I got my breathable bumper from Burlington Coat Factory (seemed like an odd place to get one!).  I've seen them at WM & I think at Babies R Us.  I'm sure they are on Amazon, too.

But I haven't seen a breathable bumper as part of a nursery bedding set.  That's what I think the manufactorers should start doing - I'm sure they could get the cute patterns & colors on the material used for the breathable bumpers.

Quoting Lizzys_mommy13:

Quoting pryn4amiracle:

Quoting Lizzys_mommy13:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured