Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

I had my HSG this morning!!

Posted by on May. 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM
  • 4 Replies

I was terrified of this HSG, and I read all these horror stories about it being extremely painful.  I have a low pain thresh hold and figured I wouldn't make it through all this.  I slept for two hours last night because I was so nervous.  I can honestly say that it was not too bad.  I took 2 Aleve gel caps an hour beforehand, and it definitely helped.  The speculum felt the same as the when I get pap smears, and the swabbing of the cervix didn't bother me because it was moist with sterilizing agents so that infections could be prevented.  The only painful cramping and pressure that I felt was when the catheter was being pushed through my cervix.  I had slight cramping with the balloon, but it wasn't too bad...definitely didn't cause as much discomfort as the initial catheter  Overall, the whole experience I had was great compared to some of the scary stories I read.  My cramping afterwards isn't as bad as when I have my period (that's when they're horrible.). The cramping comes and goes, and I just feel bloated and uncomfortable.  I had an amazing nurse who held my hand just in case I wanted to squeeze it.  I hope some of this info helps some of you ease your fears about this procedure.

Now, for the results.  The doctor told me my results right away.  He said that the dye went through my uterus and tubes very quickly.  He had me turn towards my left hip and then the right to see the dye flow through the fallopian tubes to make sure there weren't any blockages further down.  So, I'm all free and clear, and my uterus is in perfect shape!! 

Just have to get SA for my hubby, and both of us have to get bloodwork done. Then, we're on the road to start IUI sometime in late June!  I'm excited!!!

in love

by on May. 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
BraydensMama163
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Yay!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ttc0710
by on May. 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I forgot to mention to bring a thin pad with you when you go to get the HSG done.  Once the catheter was pulled out, I felt the dye gush out after I sat up, and it continues to do so through out the day.  Also, I am spotting from the catheter. 

eChard
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
It hurts when your tubes are blocked though... Or if the doctor attempts to push a blockage clear...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ttc0710
by on May. 18, 2012 at 3:00 PM

eChard - I completely agree. I figure it would hurt more with blocked tubes because the pressure would build up.  I'm just relieved that it wasn't as bad as I had thought it up to be. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)