Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

ttc after a stillbirth

Posted by on May. 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM
  • 12 Replies

I need some advice on ttc after a stillbirth. we lost our son on may 1st at 26 weeks. the dr says that he wants us to wait at least 6-8 months before trying agian but i dont agree i wasnt to try asap. so i guess what i need to know is should i go crazy waiting that long our should i just wait till my period returns normally. i know that another baby wont replace our son but i feel like there is something missing and wont be whole agian untill we do have our healthy baby at home with us. so ladies what do you all think wait what seems like forever like the dr wants or trust in what we believe is right and try soon. any advice will help greatly!!!!!

by on May. 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KalesMommy912
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2012 at 8:31 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm sorry for your loss. I feel for you, I've been there myself. I had a stillborn baby at 22wks along back in April 09. My dr told me I could ttc after my first af. So only about a month! I actually waited 2 months and found out I was pregnant again exactly 3 months after I had the baby.

If I were you I'd probably ask why the dr wants you to wait so long and if they don't give you a good reason then go ahead & ttc right away. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dani1009
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2012 at 8:32 PM
That seems like a long time to wait, in my opinion. If it was me, I wouldn't wait that long, maybe a month or two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxMissThingxx
by on May. 20, 2012 at 8:34 PM
When I had a miscarriage, I was told wait 2 regular periods. We got pregnant after 3.

I would wait atleast 1 normal period. Sorry for your loss :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet_bumblbee
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Just my opinion, there is a reason Dr's tell us to wait. You have to think about "what if it happened again" you wouldn't want to your new pregnancy in jeopardy. You will have to wait that much longer. Follow your instincts, I do agree ask your dr behind his reasoning for it. In the end it's your body.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slm047
by on May. 20, 2012 at 8:42 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I personally would probably only wait a cycle or 2 before trying again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mr.scariesmommy
by on May. 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM

i go to the Dr next month so i will have to ask him then. i do think it is a long time to be told to wait. i told him that we want to try again soon and he said well i don't want you to get pregnant for at least 6 months maybe 8. there wasn't an explanation given. Ive gone what seems like hrs of scouring the Internet for what it said on a waiting time and a lotof what i found and even on here said at least wait till your cycle returns to normal. which to me just seems more reasonable. my husband and i have both talked about it and we both want to try soon. we know that nothing will replace our lost angel but we feel that there is part of our life that is missing and want a baby. we do know that there wasn't enough fluid surrounding the baby and they think it might have been a fetal kidney issue but we have to wait for the autopsy results to be certian. the dr had said there wasnt anything wrong with my cervix or the placenta so we know that wasnt the reason for his loss. so i dont see the harm in waiting just a few cycles instead. i might get a second opinion just to see what another dr says. thanks for your opinions. i needed to hear that im not nuts for wanting to try again so soon.

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM

It really depends on your Dr reasoning. I would assume your Dr is telling you this for your emotional health. If you lost the baby due to a physical condition he may tell you to wait because it takes our bodies about 18 mns to fully heal from a pregnancy (so increasing your risk of complications if you concieve again to soon) This being said I wouldn't wait that long, I would be like you and absolutely would need that fullfillment. Good Luck

Quoting sweet_bumblbee:

Just my opinion, there is a reason Dr's tell us to wait. You have to think about "what if it happened again" you wouldn't want to your new pregnancy in jeopardy. You will have to wait that much longer. Follow your instincts, I do agree ask your dr behind his reasoning for it. In the end it's your body.

mommykate07
by on May. 20, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I would wait at least 3 months before TTCing again.

GwenMB
by Gwen on May. 20, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I'm so sorry!

I agree that asking your doc for his reasoning is a good idea.  If it doesn't sound right, getting a 2nd opinion is also a good idea.  In the end, it is your decision, though.  Just try to make sure you're emtionally ready.

dsebastian23
by on May. 20, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I would give your body a few months to heal then I would start trying again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)