Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Femara vs Clomid

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:25 AM
  • 9 Replies
DH and I have been TTC #2 since DS was born and he is now 3. So back to the RE I went except now we have Kaiser and the RE at my facility prefers Femara. It took 4 years to get Pg with DS and on the first try with a certain treatment. I am super bummed because obviously I've done this before and know what worked.... Has anyone had luck with Femara? I'm also taking Metformin and possibly a HCG trigger and IUI if I have any follicles.... Today is cd 9 startling OPKs tomorrow.

Staciee-32, PCOS, Factor V Leiden
Dh-33, :)
DS-3

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jelly.beans
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I was on metformin as well- ttc for 25 months. I didn't even ovulate on clomid. My RE switched to femara and BAM! Bfp first femara cycle! :) good luck!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Welcome.

I don't have any knowledge of Femara.  Sorry. :(  I do wish you all the luck in the world though.

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I am interested to know as well. I have been on clomid before, once for almost 2 yrs and never Od. This time around my Dr wants me to try it with Metformin, but I haven't agreed yet. Reading up on clomid I have found all kinds or side effects and risk such as birth defects and risk of MC. And I dont want to put my child at any risks. So I am still debating. I would be interested to know what the risks, and side effects are with Femara. Here is a bump. And good Luck

Sswgtttt
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 7:24 PM
Thanks ladies:) I'm going to stay optimistic.... My son would be exactly 4 years older and I don't know if I want more of an age gap then that....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilianasmom1116
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:18 PM
from what ive heard/read... Clomid produces more follicles but not as good of a quality as femara but femara doesn't produce as many follicles- they're just higher quality. a friend of mine was on femara and it worked for her, don't remember how long she was on it tho...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilianasmom1116
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:19 PM
my two dd are 4 years apart and it is definitely a good age gap. honestly, (well I hope it doesn't come to it for ya) but even a 5 year age gap I don't think would be bad... It's amazing how big of a help the older one can be!!

Quoting Sswgtttt:

Thanks ladies:) I'm going to stay optimistic.... My son would be exactly 4 years older and I don't know if I want more of an age gap then that....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilianasmom1116
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:22 PM
with clomid I had hot flashes for the first couple months, "painful ovulation" (which wasn't necessarily painful just very noticeable) and crazy mood swings at first. a friend of mine was on femara and I don't believe those sorts of side effects were there with femara. not sure of the other medical side effects there may be tho...

Quoting NoraDun:

I am interested to know as well. I have been on clomid before, once for almost 2 yrs and never Od. This time around my Dr wants me to try it with Metformin, but I haven't agreed yet. Reading up on clomid I have found all kinds or side effects and risk such as birth defects and risk of MC. And I dont want to put my child at any risks. So I am still debating. I would be interested to know what the risks, and side effects are with Femara. Here is a bump. And good Luck

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jelly.beans
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:27 PM
With clomid I had horrible headaches, hot flashes, mood swings and ovulation pain. With femara I had no side effects. Femara isn't FDA approved yet for infertility treatments so regular OBs usually will not prescribe it; however, it is becoming the number one choice for REs. :)

Quoting NoraDun:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sswgtttt
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:33 PM
Ya no real hot flashes or headaches from the Femara I do feel real bloated and my BBs are real swollen and tender.... I go tomorrow to check follicle sizes.... Im pretty sure something's going on down their I have some pain in the right Ovarie and it's really wet down their but the digital OPK still says no....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN