Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Clomid is not working....So what else should I try?

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:07 AM
  • 14 Replies

I have a been on Clomid for 4 months. Three months on 50mg then 1 on 100mg. My periods are out of wack. It was late this month. I realize Clomid does this but I just have a feeling that its not going to work for me. I barely have a period. To be honest I don't really even need to wear a tampon. I'm just frustrated. I have started dieting and exercising and have lost 15lbs so far. I would just like to get some opinons from you ladies... Should I ask to try something else? Metformin??  Should I ask for testing and bloodwork. I just don't know the steps. I had a MC in January and have been trying ever since. It took us 5 months before that to get pregnant. I got preggo with my dd the first month. I have been trying to relax and focus on other things but I just don't know if the clomid is helping or hurting me... Any POSITIVE comments would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Mommy-2-Three-
by Kary on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Metformin would be a great addition to the clomid, there is also letrozole/femara which is similar to clomid but works a tad different & is actually considered a 'fertility medication' where clomid not. Also do u know y u miscarried or was it spontaneous? Have u ever noted low progesterone issues becuz that can not only cause mc :( but also light af & can make uterian lining unfavorable for a fertilitized egg to implant, which might be ur issue too. If so, a progesterone cream from O for 12 days or BFP (which in that case u stay on til 11-12 wks) would help greatly. There r also other options fertility treatment wise, like hcg trigger shots like pregnyl if u arnt Oing from clomid or estrogen after taking clomid. Definitely talk w/ ur OB about ur options to see what's best for u.

GL hun :) hope u figure out ur 'baby cocktail' soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HisB0107
by Billine on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Femara worked for me after I did three rounds of Clomid. I don't remember dosages. I think I did 50 mg all three months. I also had to take Provera to make my period come. That was my first pregnancy, I'm on my second now. Femara assisted again, first round got me pregnant this time though. We waited 18 months before starting it though because I was getting my period on my own.

Are these things you're talking to your doctor about? He/She will know what tests to give you to see what's up. 

Mommy4Life86
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM
I got my bfp this time after combining dexamethasone 2mg with 100mg clomid. The clomid didn't work for me on its own, I was super surprised! plus it doesn't have as many side effects as the metformin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kayleebugsmom32
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

Metformin would be a great addition to the clomid, there is also letrozole/femara which is similar to clomid but works a tad different & is actually considered a 'fertility medication' where clomid not. Also do u know y u miscarried or was it spontaneous? Have u ever noted low progesterone issues becuz that can not only cause mc :( but also light af & can make uterian lining unfavorable for a fertilitized egg to implant, which might be ur issue too. If so, a progesterone cream from O for 12 days or BFP (which in that case u stay on til 11-12 wks) would help greatly. There r also other options fertility treatment wise, like hcg trigger shots like pregnyl if u arnt Oing from clomid or estrogen after taking clomid. Definitely talk w/ ur OB about ur options to see what's best for u.

GL hun :) hope u figure out ur 'baby cocktail' soon!

My MC was a blighted ovum. Not sure about my progesterone but thats definatly something that needs to be looked at. I talked to a nurse at my ob's office and she is asking my doctor about adding metformin. I appreciate your comment. Now I have something to go off of!

kayleebugsmom32
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Quoting HisB0107:

Femara worked for me after I did three rounds of Clomid. I don't remember dosages. I think I did 50 mg all three months. I also had to take Provera to make my period come. That was my first pregnancy, I'm on my second now. Femara assisted again, first round got me pregnant this time though. We waited 18 months before starting it though because I was getting my period on my own.

Are these things you're talking to your doctor about? He/She will know what tests to give you to see what's up. 

What exactly does Femara do?

kayleebugsmom32
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Quoting Mommy4Life86:

I got my bfp this time after combining dexamethasone 2mg with 100mg clomid. The clomid didn't work for me on its own, I was super surprised! plus it doesn't have as many side effects as the metformin.

I've never heard of dexamethasone? What does it do? Cause clomid is not working for me on its own either!

HisB0107
by Billine on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:36 PM

The same thing Clomid does. Just less side effects. The way my doc described it was that Clomid goes in and helps mature all your eggs you've got there....so a lot of the times, if you have a lot of slow maturing eggs, none of them will be mature enough by the time ovulation needs to occur. Where as Femara goes in and helps mature the most mature egg and can focus it's all on that one...sometimes two egg(s). 

Quoting kayleebugsmom32:

Quoting HisB0107:

kayleebugsmom32
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Quoting HisB0107:

The same thing Clomid does. Just less side effects. The way my doc described it was that Clomid goes in and helps mature all your eggs you've got there....so a lot of the times, if you have a lot of slow maturing eggs, none of them will be mature enough by the time ovulation needs to occur. Where as Femara goes in and helps mature the most mature egg and can focus it's all on that one...sometimes two egg(s). 

Oh ok. gotcha! thanks i will look into that as well!big smile mini

Quoting kayleebugsmom32:

Quoting HisB0107:

-Mommy-2-Three-
by Kary on Sep. 5, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Pardon my spelling in advance lol...

Dexamethasone is a cordicosteriod that can be used for a number of things......its most common use in relation to OB is to help mature babies lungs when premature delivery is at risk.....other reasons I am personally unaware of other than endocrine related things like Addison's disease, glucordicoid resistance & adrenal issues!

Quoting kayleebugsmom32:

Quoting Mommy4Life86:

I've never heard of dexamethasone? What does it do? Cause clomid is not working for me on its own either!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4Life86
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I hadn't heard of it before either, but when my fertility dr recommended it, I said sure! Nothing else was working, so what did I have to loose? It's a steroid, and what it does is it takes away the excess male hormones and allows the Clomid to work. It just made me pee a lot LOL, but worked like a charm first time. I would ask and see if it works for you :) BTW pretty cheap Rx too with insurance. Took it CD3-12 and Clomid 3-7 :) if you have any other questions feel free to ask :)

Quoting kayleebugsmom32:

Quoting Mommy4Life86:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)