Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive
I was just diagnosed with PCOS in August & was told it is the leading cause of female infertility. So I'm wondering who else suffers from this unfortunate disorder. It might feel a bit better knowing that we aren't dealing with this alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
Dani1009
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Congrats! Any tips for those of us having a hard time getting or staying pregnant?

Quoting lilianasmom1116:

I was diagnosed about 12 years ago. now prego with my third!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TattdMomOf2Boys
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:07 PM

So the mirena can cause PCOS??? That makes so much sense now!! I never had any of these problems til I had the mirena put in. It has been out over 2 years and my cycles are so screwed up.

Quoting beadfairy:

I was diagnosed this summer. I had all kinds of fertility testing before conceiving my first and had NO signs of it...I developed it while I had a Mirena in. I'm hoping it is something that will go away as quickly as it came. :( Sounds silly, but I'd do anything to make it go away. lol

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

-Mommy-2-Three-
by Kary on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I have PCOS, TTC my 4th child for <12m now............its a struggle but there are way to make the symptoms less & help keep you healthy!

Ask me anything you wanna know!

-Mommy-2-Three-
by Kary on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Mirena is known to cause PCOS symptoms to flare up, however it can not cause PCOS!

Quoting TattdMomOf2Boys:

So the mirena can cause PCOS??? That makes so much sense now!! I never had any of these problems til I had the mirena put in. It has been out over 2 years and my cycles are so screwed up.

Quoting beadfairy:

I was diagnosed this summer. I had all kinds of fertility testing before conceiving my first and had NO signs of it...I developed it while I had a Mirena in. I'm hoping it is something that will go away as quickly as it came. :( Sounds silly, but I'd do anything to make it go away. lol

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I self diagnosed myself back when TTC baby #2 in 2005. Still not sure if I am actually diagnosed, although I suspect I am since I treated as if I have PCOS. I am currently on Metfornin, and I will start my first round of clomid tomorrow!

lilianasmom1116
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:16 PM
well, before my first I was on bcp for a looooooong time. Stopped my pills and it took about 4 months and I got my bfp. I knew NOTHING about ttc. all I knew was sex=baby and we had sex every day- sometimes twice a day. It took over two years when we were ttc our second. Took metformin and 200mg clomid to conceive her. With this third, it was us not trying that I feel really did it. I was on the mini pill and breastfeeding for a few months then decided to stop the pill (still breast fed) I started the metformin again for my PCOS and trying to get regular and well a month- month and a half later bfp again! We were planning to start clomid again in 6 months but never made it to that point.

My best advice is don't give up but don't "try" I know what you're thinking though, "I've heard that before!" And i know it's easier said than done... and I also know that it's not what u want to hear (remember, we tried and TRIED for over 2 years ttc) but my other two pregnancies we just had sex. anyways, thank you :) and also sorry you're having a rough time and finding out about the PCOS, it can be over come though!! Keep your chin up and GOOD LUCK! if u ever need advice or support or need to vent, I'm here :)

Quoting Dani1009:

Congrats! Any tips for those of us having a hard time getting or staying pregnant?

Quoting lilianasmom1116:

I was diagnosed about 12 years ago. now prego with my third!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beadfairy
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I don't know if the Mirena caused it, I had all kinds of issues with the Mirena just as an IUD, but I sure suspect it. I'd never had an issue with PCOS before I had it inserted, but have had nothing but issues with PCOS ever since. My OB/GYN said that from here on out I would need to be on the pill to balance my hormones. Of course, that's after I get pregnant this last time (hopefully). I haven't had all of the PCOS issues that some people have, I am still on the low end of the testosterone scale. High enough to be diagnosed, but low enough to be on the low end. I do ovulate every month that I've been on Clomid, but this is the 4th cycle and we will find out Friday if it worked. I have a family history of Progesterone issues and this is the first cycle they've ever given me progesterone to go with it. 

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Agreed, Keep in mind to that Mirena itself does often lead to infertility and an increase in MC. Along with the IUD and other types of BC. Nasty stuff! 

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

Mirena is known to cause PCOS symptoms to flare up, however it can not cause PCOS!

Quoting TattdMomOf2Boys:

Quoting beadfairy:

-Mommy-2-Three-
by Kary on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Mirena is an IUD :P LOL...........you mean the copper one?

Quoting NoraDun:

Agreed, Keep in mind to that Mirena itself does often lead to infertility and an increase in MC. Along with the IUD and other types of BC. Nasty stuff! 

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

Quoting TattdMomOf2Boys:

Quoting beadfairy:

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes..sorry I should of been more specific! Implants, IUDs, they all seem to have the same effects. I had a discussion with an OB recently who when I asked said "Absolutely not" Then before he finished his sentence discussed how often he sees unexplained infertility and MC after removal of these BC. His response "Well after all it is meant to prevent pregnancy!" UMM YEA but its not supposed to be a long term, and most women have no idea of the risk long term. 

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

Mirena is an IUD :P LOL...........you mean the copper one?

Quoting NoraDun:

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

Quoting TattdMomOf2Boys:

Quoting beadfairy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN