Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive
I was just diagnosed with PCOS in August & was told it is the leading cause of female infertility. So I'm wondering who else suffers from this unfortunate disorder. It might feel a bit better knowing that we aren't dealing with this alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Replies (41-50):
aussiechic
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I know it sounds scary. I went  A LONG TIME without treatment and was still able to conceive so there is hope!!!

Dani1009
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:01 PM
I've done 4 rounds of clomid, but did not know I had PCOS at the time and I wasn't taking metformin. Needless to say, I didn't get pregnant. My RE will have me do femara, hcg injection, and progesterone suppositories when we can afford to go that route. It will cost about $1200 per cycle to do this and at the moment we are swamped with bills from all of our infertility testing. I wish we could do it now :( Stupid bills

Quoting lilianasmom1116:

Have u looked in to using clomid or femara? or would u be opposed to using meds to help with conceiving? Those meds are taken at the beginning of a cycle just before and as your eggs are developing and can help them become more mature

Quoting Dani1009:

Thank you very much for sharing! I have been pregnant twice since starting ttc, but had early miscarriages both times. Both times we got pregnant, we weren't hard-core at tracking ovulation or anything. So I agree with staying on the relaxed side as much as possible!

I was surprised when my RE told me PCOS can cause miscarriages; by the egg not reaching maturity or by not reaching correct chromosomal numbers, and also by affecting the uterine lining thickness. I feel like getting pregnant is hard enough for us, but the hardest part is staying pregnant. I just feel hopeless in light of everything I've learned. Ugh!

Quoting lilianasmom1116:

well, before my first I was on bcp for a looooooong time. Stopped my pills and it took about 4 months and I got my bfp. I knew NOTHING about ttc. all I knew was sex=baby and we had sex every day- sometimes twice a day. It took over two years when we were ttc our second. Took metformin and 200mg clomid to conceive her. With this third, it was us not trying that I feel really did it. I was on the mini pill and breastfeeding for a few months then decided to stop the pill (still breast fed) I started the metformin again for my PCOS and trying to get regular and well a month- month and a half later bfp again! We were planning to start clomid again in 6 months but never made it to that point.

My best advice is don't give up but don't "try" I know what you're thinking though, "I've heard that before!" And i know it's easier said than done... and I also know that it's not what u want to hear (remember, we tried and TRIED for over 2 years ttc) but my other two pregnancies we just had sex. anyways, thank you :) and also sorry you're having a rough time and finding out about the PCOS, it can be over come though!! Keep your chin up and GOOD LUCK! if u ever need advice or support or need to vent, I'm here :)

Quoting Dani1009:

Congrats! Any tips for those of us having a hard time getting or staying pregnant?

Quoting lilianasmom1116:

I was diagnosed about 12 years ago. now prego with my third!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mdcountrygirl05
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Here! 9 months ttc #1, on 2nd round of clomid
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dani1009
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:09 PM
My doctor looks for at least 2 out of the following 4 signs and symptoms before diagnosing a patient with PCOS:
1) Visual cysts in a pelvic ultrasound (they look like a string of black pearls surrounding the ovaries)
2) Hormone imbalance from a cd3 blood test
3) Family history of PCOS &/or diabetes
4) symptoms such as acne, facial hair, being overweight, depression, anxiety, infertility, irregular periods

Quoting theirmommy04:

How do they diagnose Pcos ? Can you get it after already having kids?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dreamtobeamom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:15 PM

i have it

diegnosed this juuly

lilianasmom1116
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:22 PM
BILLS SUCK!!! :-/ well best of luck to you!!! have u thought about just adding metformin in with your clomid? Just thinking it might be a little bit cheaper route- for now...anyways, good luck again!

Quoting Dani1009:

I've done 4 rounds of clomid, but did not know I had PCOS at the time and I wasn't taking metformin. Needless to say, I didn't get pregnant. My RE will have me do femara, hcg injection, and progesterone suppositories when we can afford to go that route. It will cost about $1200 per cycle to do this and at the moment we are swamped with bills from all of our infertility testing. I wish we could do it now :( Stupid bills

Quoting lilianasmom1116:

Have u looked in to using clomid or femara? or would u be opposed to using meds to help with conceiving? Those meds are taken at the beginning of a cycle just before and as your eggs are developing and can help them become more mature

Quoting Dani1009:

Thank you very much for sharing! I have been pregnant twice since starting ttc, but had early miscarriages both times. Both times we got pregnant, we weren't hard-core at tracking ovulation or anything. So I agree with staying on the relaxed side as much as possible!

I was surprised when my RE told me PCOS can cause miscarriages; by the egg not reaching maturity or by not reaching correct chromosomal numbers, and also by affecting the uterine lining thickness. I feel like getting pregnant is hard enough for us, but the hardest part is staying pregnant. I just feel hopeless in light of everything I've learned. Ugh!

Quoting lilianasmom1116:

well, before my first I was on bcp for a looooooong time. Stopped my pills and it took about 4 months and I got my bfp. I knew NOTHING about ttc. all I knew was sex=baby and we had sex every day- sometimes twice a day. It took over two years when we were ttc our second. Took metformin and 200mg clomid to conceive her. With this third, it was us not trying that I feel really did it. I was on the mini pill and breastfeeding for a few months then decided to stop the pill (still breast fed) I started the metformin again for my PCOS and trying to get regular and well a month- month and a half later bfp again! We were planning to start clomid again in 6 months but never made it to that point.

My best advice is don't give up but don't "try" I know what you're thinking though, "I've heard that before!" And i know it's easier said than done... and I also know that it's not what u want to hear (remember, we tried and TRIED for over 2 years ttc) but my other two pregnancies we just had sex. anyways, thank you :) and also sorry you're having a rough time and finding out about the PCOS, it can be over come though!! Keep your chin up and GOOD LUCK! if u ever need advice or support or need to vent, I'm here :)

Quoting Dani1009:

Congrats! Any tips for those of us having a hard time getting or staying pregnant?

Quoting lilianasmom1116:

I was diagnosed about 12 years ago. now prego with my third!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyAddie
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:50 PM
I was diagnosed 14 years ago. Pcos caused me to be infertile for 12 years. I eventually began to treat it naturally with exercise and an improved diet and not only did my pcos symptoms almost disappear, but I finally got pregnant. My baby is 12 weeks old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baby1omg
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:01 AM

I was diagnosed with it 12 years ago (i was 13 then and am now 25) I have had 3 miscarriages and am still trying to successfully concieve and carry to full term.

Izzy_pop
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:09 AM
Do i count i have it diagnosed september 8th. they did not catch mine do to infertility. so i am not sure if you guys are considering me...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HJMF
by JoAnna on Sep. 26, 2012 at 4:55 AM

That's the main reason she wanted me to get it, the thinning of the linning thing.

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

Wow, thats really crazy, I have NEVER had a period that is heavy enough for even a regular tampon unless its been an ovulatory cycle, even if its been 6-9m since my LMP because I havent ovulated & I take progesterone to induce AF its still not really bad..........that sounds awful :( Mirena is known to cause thin uterine lining though so that makes sense that it would help the heavy bleeding.

Quoting HJMF:

I was given the Mirena after an emergency d & c and blood transfusion due to severe bleeding and loss of blood caused by PCOS. It did cause my cysts to come back, but it controlled the bleeding better than anything else I've ever been on. Had it for 10m before taking it out due to wanting to ttc the next year, but I ended up with a surprise bfp 4m later lol but your dr is correct, it's usually not right for women with PCOS, but my dr said in my case, it was better than bleeding to death. :/ That's one of my biggest problems with PCOS, no AF for months, then SO much bleeding.
Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

Hum, very interesting, I wasn't aware it helped some women..........if you dont have PCOS or history of cysts then I think IUD is awesome form of BC (IMO)..........however my OB warned me to avoid mirena specificly because I have PCOS :( she adviced I use the copper IUD if IUD was the method I wanted. Her #1 recommendation for women with PCOS is a low estrogen/high progesterone based BC pill like yaz/yazmin! She said Mirena IUD is known to cause ovarian cysts to become worse, more frequent & larger, causing other PCOS symptoms to flare up as a result. I felt like I was miserably pregnant the whole time I was on it (4m)!

BC sucks period LOL :(

Quoting HJMF:

This! Mommy-2-Three is 100% correct here ladies. And, even though it's known to some to cause the symptoms to flare up, it's also been known to help others control the symptoms. Those not TTC of course. 

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

Mirena is known to cause PCOS symptoms to flare up, however it can not cause PCOS!

Quoting TattdMomOf2Boys:

So the mirena can cause PCOS??? That makes so much sense now!! I never had any of these problems til I had the mirena put in. It has been out over 2 years and my cycles are so screwed up.

Quoting beadfairy:

I was diagnosed this summer. I had all kinds of fertility testing before conceiving my first and had NO signs of it...I developed it while I had a Mirena in. I'm hoping it is something that will go away as quickly as it came. :( Sounds silly, but I'd do anything to make it go away. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)