Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

I need some advice ladies!!!!

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:14 AM
  • 9 Replies
Me and the dh are new to ttc and not sure what to expect or what to do other than what the doc has told me. I am currently on day 5 of provera(also taking metformin everyday) not sure what exactly the meds are for or what to expect taking them.....will I get a period while taking it or after? Then I'm suppose to take clomid on day 3 of my period...wut is clomid gonna do? Then I take estradiol and then progesterone....what are these meds gonna do? How do I track when to have sex and when to test and also what to expect while taking these meds??? Sounds like a lot of meds and alot of waiting! I'm just overwhelmed.....any advice would be appreciated to help me understand better:)

Thanks,Nicole
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Trying4BabyNum3
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:31 AM
BUMP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kelly617
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:57 AM

Have you been trying long?
It seems like a lot of meds if you've just started TTC...(not being judgemental I promise) did you have difficulty trying to concieve before so your doc knows what it will take?

I'm not sure about all the meds but I know provera brings on your period if your body doesn't start on its own...Clomid helps your body ovulate, i'm guessing that estradiol is some form of estrogen...and then progesterone is to help you if your body doesn't create enough progesterone on its own. Progesterone is created by the body after ovulation to grow the baby...

I'm surprised the doctor didnt' explain it...that sucks!

waitnonamiracle
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:35 AM
Well here's the story...I was married once before about 2 yrs ago and tried for almost 3 yrs...they found out I had polyps on my uterus so they did a d&c. My periods have never been normal and I tried the clomid once but didn't really follow thru as that marriage ended so now my current husband and I have tries for almost 2 yrs....nothing....so we went to the doc and I told him of my previous history....he said I was not ov'ng on my own ans aakes if we were ready to get Oregon now...of course I said yes! So he put me on these meds...said it was an 80% chance but to b patient...he really didn't explain exactly what the meds were...I mean he told me they were to try to get Oregon...but I'm ocd when it comes to this lol....I guess I just want to know what other people have experienced and what they did on the meds
amonkeymom
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Provera is sometimes used to restart a cycle that was annovulatory.  You should start your period shortly after finishing these pills.

Metformin is often given to women who have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) or to diabetics and controls blood sugar. 

Clomid should help to induce ovulation at or around day 14-20 of your cycle.

I'm not sure about estradiol but progesterone will help you to hold onto a pregnancy should you conceive.  Some women do not make enough progesterone and will often miscarry because of this, but I think it's not often prescribed unless it's known that the woman doesn't produce enough.

Good luck!

NoraDun
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Why didn't you ask your Dr these questions?? Not to sounds mean, but that is a lot of medication to take an not know the reason. I suggest you google each med and the use of that med while TTC.

I can tell you I am on Metformin 1500mg a day for PCOS. Metformin helps with insuline resistance which is common among women with PCOS. Clomid will help your ovaries mature follicles which will help ovulation occur. And progesterone is given if you have a low progesterone issue. And is generally started after ovulation occurs to make sure a pregnancy can be kept healthy and prevent MC. Good Luck

haileysmom15
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:48 PM

BUMP!

KrissyAndJared
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:56 PM

BUMP..!

waitnonamiracle
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:31 AM
Ok....maybe I worded this wrong....I know what the meds are for....what I really was looking for was someone who has been on these meds to kinda tell me what to expect....someone who has done this before succeeded or not....yeah I guess that would b crazy for me to say my doc put me on meds ans I'm not sure what there for....just looking for the experienced :)...and i also know when to take them...just wondering if u all out there have taken the same wayand was it affectivee
Belinda1984
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Hey guys what does it mean for people to say "bump"???  Is it something obvious I should know?? ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN