Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Do you agree with what my fertility doctor said?:(

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am HIGHLY upset! First let me just start with saying that I have supposedly "Had"a history of bi polar disorder. I went to see a phycatrist about a year and a half ago because of depression, who  when I went to see him, was a total quack to begin with.  He just threw medication in my FACE the first day I went to see him, and just did like a check list on a piece of paper and said I had bi polar, because my family has a history of it.... So I went to him for about a year and he put me on all different medications. Well, right from the start after he put me on all of these drugs it messed me up. I couldnt think clearly, and it just made me develop anxiety, and even more depression to begin with. I even wanted to hurt my husband in away that  I NEVER even would have dreampt of! I love my husband. It really upset me so my husband went with me last April to one of my appointments, and sense then I havent been back to see him. I have been drug free for a year... Well to make a long story short, when I went to see my fertility doctor today, she told me she wouldnt help me get pregnant until I went to see another phycatrist and got on medcation for my "bi poloar" and to go see a high risk nurse at a different location. Not only was I floored, I think it was out of line! I know my own body, and after being off medcation for a year I have been fine! Sure I have episodes of depression, but doesnt everybody? Why would I want to be on anti depressants when I am pregnant? She said the baby would go through withdraws once you have it, but the nurses would help the baby through it. I am NOT being on ANY medcations unless you need it to live, while pregnant. I cant even believe she would be for that. Anitdepressants made me worse, so why would she even say that?Was it right?My cylces are normal now. I have PCOS so thats why I am going to see a fertility doctor.  My cylces are 28 days long, my HSG was normal she said tubes are clear uterus looks good, hubby has a REALLY great sperm count... what do you think?should i try to concieve on my own and ditch the fertility doctors?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
theirmommy04
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM
If you do better OFF the anti depressants than I would think you're better off staying that way...This is a difficult situation to be in. But also, if you don't feel comfortable with her then I would look into switching.

Sorry I wasn't much help :-/ GL.
EAzizM
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM
3 moms liked this
You need a new doctor. Tell this one to suck on a fat one. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WishingAway
by Angela on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I have been in a similar situation but I have been off all meds for the 3 years I have been trying. I  think IF... you NEED it.. then certain meds are okay while your trying.. as for taking them when I am pregnant there are certain ones they THINK are safe.. but aren't for sure. If you are okay genuinly.. then stay off of them.. If you feel inside like your breaking get a little help for a month. But if you have done great keep doing what your doing. I did it and proved everyone wrong. Good Luck hun!

-Mommy-2-Three-
by Kary on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

If your cycles are regular I'd just try on your own or a while OR find a different fertility dr because that is out of line..........I have GAD, ADD & OCD but I dont use any medication, just meditation & my own coping skills i've attained for the years, medication makes me feel 'cloudy' & I hate it! I manage quite well on my own though because most people who know me have NO CLUE I have anything except maybe mild OCD since i'm obsessively clean lol!

saywhat2102
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I think you should find a new doctor.  Doesn't matter if shes right or wrong she has rubbed you the wrong way.  You have to have complete and total trust that your doctor has your best interest at heart and that they "get" you.  I wish you all the best hun:)  Maybe try to ole natural way this month while you find a new doctor?

hypnautica
by Jennifer on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM
First off if a doc doesn't help then move onto a new one there are more then one. If your blood work and bag as well as HD sperm was OK there is a possibility it is your egg quality and they would not know that unless you done IVF. First though I would try Clomid and IUIs to see if they would work. My gyno told me it was better to be on my depression meds than not and I laughed and asked her if she was kidding me because that crap causes babys harm and no I don't take meds and I'm not. I have been TTC now for 6yrs and I may not get pregnant but at least if I do I will not cause the baby harm. I don't blame you for not taking it as long as you don't cause yourself or someone else harm.

Quoting MeggieBReid:

I am HIGHLY upset! First let me just start with saying that I have supposedly "Had"a history of bi polar disorder. I went to see a phycatrist about a year and a half ago because of depression, who  when I went to see him, was a total quack to begin with.  He just threw medication in my FACE the first day I went to see him, and just did like a check list on a piece of paper and said I had bi polar, because my family has a history of it.... So I went to him for about a year and he put me on all different medications. Well, right from the start after he put me on all of these drugs it messed me up. I couldnt think clearly, and it just made me develop anxiety, and even more depression to begin with. I even wanted to hurt my husband in away that  I NEVER even would have dreampt of! I love my husband. It really upset me so my husband went with me last April to one of my appointments, and sense then I havent been back to see him. I have been drug free for a year... Well to make a long story short, when I went to see my fertility doctor today, she told me she wouldnt help me get pregnant until I went to see another phycatrist and got on medcation for my "bi poloar" and to go see a high risk nurse at a different location. Not only was I floored, I think it was out of line! I know my own body, and after being off medcation for a year I have been fine! Sure I have episodes of depression, but doesnt everybody? Why would I want to be on anti depressants when I am pregnant? She said the baby would go through withdraws once you have it, but the nurses would help the baby through it. I am NOT being on ANY medcations unless you need it to live, while pregnant. I cant even believe she would be for that. Anitdepressants made me worse, so why would she even say that?Was it right?My cylces are normal now. I have PCOS so thats why I am going to see a fertility doctor.  My cylces are 28 days long, my HSG was normal she said tubes are clear uterus looks good, hubby has a REALLY great sperm count... what do you think?should i try to concieve on my own and ditch the fertility doctors?

hypnautica
by Jennifer on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Bag is hsg and HD Is dh ....stupid auto correct lol
krissy920
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I think your doctor may be doing this because of the past history she is reading. I  can assure you that MANY people who get diagnosed with things will swear they dont have that issue or dont need meds (  regardless if they need them  or not or really have the disorder) so im betting your doctor is just looking  out for you and your best interests.  I would go to a new psych doctor and get  reevaluated for yourself and for your doctor. If the last doctor was wrong then its best to have a 2nd opinion so thats not lurking over you  for ever. Once you get  reevaluated and they see you dont really need the meds and that the doctor was wrong take the info to your fertility doctor so she knows  you really are ready mentally and physically to have a baby.

I  can tell you i have been in a similar situation , i saw a family health doctor over 8 years ago. I went in  and i was upset. I was newly married in a new state  i had no friends and my husband was gone for a long amount of time. I went to the doctor to get birth control and he said i was depressed, he never even told me just gave me meds and my birth control. I took them and it made me sick so after a few weeks i stopped. I thought nothing about it till a year ago when i had to move. When i went to get medically cleared it said i suffered from depression...a doctor that saw me for 10 mins and never after that labeled me and it stuck in my records the entire time. Eventually i was diagnosed by a new doctor with ptsd and had the depression removed from my records, and after my treatment its now marked as in  remission.

Anyways  i  would try not to  take it personal as i think your doctor was just trying to make sure  everything is okay.  Personally i  would trust a doctor more for something like this because it seems like they are   looking out for you  and your future child. Id make an apointment for a re evlatuation asap and i would definatly send a complaint in about the doctor who   misdiagnosed you. Life is hard enough  and sounds like your last doctor has made it much more difficult :( Gl and hope you get  it all worked out.

MeggieBReid
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:56 PM

THANKS SOOOO much ladies! you all have helped me out a GREAT DEAL!!!!  I feel SO much better now! I honestly was gonna listen to her... BUT I KNOW my own body and I REFUSE to be on ANY medication while pregnant,other than my prenatal vitamins,my folgard RX, and my baby asprin.. I have MTHFR, that I take folgard rx for. I honestly dont trust her anymore and wont be back to see her. If someone has been drug free for almost a year, and is doing fine, why would i get back on that medication to make me worse? She said I would be at a higher risk with postpartum depression  and that medication is the KEY to everything... I mean in my opinion its NOT.. I feel like there is NOTHING in this world the Lord cant heal.. hes all the medication I need.  I dont need any medication to make me function like a zombie. Thanks ladies! I think my hubby and I are gonna TTC on our own for awhile.. long as I am having my periods every 28 days no harm done:)

janell55
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Try to on your own and show them you don't need their help :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)