Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

IVF Jan 2013 - your experience?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:52 PM
  • 20 Replies

We are starting IVF Jan 2013 after 5 years of ttc.  If you have done IVF and had a positive or negative experience I want to know your thoughts, advice, etc. Thanks.

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bridget13
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:24 AM

We did IVF in August. Overall it was a great experience. I didn't look forward to the all the shots, but honestly got used to it pretty quickly. The main procedures weren't terrible either. The only problem I had was I was overstimulated. I had bad symptoms after egg retrieval and then a day after transfer they came back with a vengeance. I gained 17 lbs of fluid in my abdomen and became dehydrated. I found out that I was pregnant at that time and the HCG hormone makes the overstimulation worse. So after about 3 weeks of being miserable it finally went away and I started to feel the nausea. I am now 17 weeks pregnant and it was our first attempt. We also have 8 frozen embryos waiting for next time. Good Luck. It can be scary, but just try to relax and not worry about the little things. :0)

notgivinguphope
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:47 AM
I did ivf started thw process sept of 2011 and got pregnant feb 2012 . I had mild ohss ( which is expected i had 45 eggs retrieved :0 n was the youngest patient my clinic ever had ) so my transfer was out off for two months or else i wouldve been preggo on xmas day of 2011 im glad we waited tho to make sure everything was in order. I was due to deliver oct 27 th but had my baby early aug 21 st im 24 years old now and started at 23 and had been ttc for 6 years since i got married . I had a bad left tube . Overall it was an exciting yet draining experience the needles you will get over n become pro at it lol. The hardest part is the what if"s that run through ur mind so just remember to stay positive i was always firm in believing if i say i will get pregnant i will if i doubt it then it wont happen. I began telling ppl i was pregnabt the day of my transfer (only close friends n fam that knew i was doing ivf) and happily i was good luc n pm if u ever have questions through ur journey
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms83501
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Thanks for the input adies. All knowledge is welcome. Apparenty Im an anomly to my doc. I have "unexplained" infertility. All systems are up and operational, we just "cant" get prgnant the "normal" way. Very few people know of what we are doing, my parents and 3 close friends and then my boss. Otherwise everyone is in the dark I fear telling everyone what we're doing becasue I don't want people asking me continually how things are going and hovering. Thoughts?

Mindipeake
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:43 PM
I will be doing my retrieval in jan also, I don't have an experience to comment on yet as today is only my first day of bc. I wish you the very best luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bridget13
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I was totally different in letting people know. We started our family by adopting our son about 5 1/2 years ago. A few years ago we drove right back in and were matched with another birthmom. She lost the baby at 27 weeks and from there we to have 3 failed adoptions. After that we were done. All of my family and friends had been pretty involved in the whole adoption stuff so as soon as most of them found out via facebook that we were thinking about doing IVF they all wanted to be involved.

So... I pretty much updated everyone on everything we did. They were behind us 100% and it was so nice to have the love and support. I was lucky enough that they didn't bug or bother me. It it totally your call and what you feel comfortable with is what you need to do. Everything will be great. :) Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Analeigh2012
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM

We are trying to decide if we want to give IVF a try.  We are unexplained as well, but age is a factor.  Can I ask cost?  Seems like ours is VERY expensive.  The insurance will not cover and we were quoted $22,000 per cycle which included all medications.  Our hesitancy isn't fully cost.  Because of my age we were told it may take 3 cycles. Wishing you lots of baby dust for a successful 1st cycle!

JunkYdMom
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM
We had our transfer in October and I'm now 7w6d with twins..like the others said ...you do get used to the shots.but I think the progestrone injections are the worst...I'll do that tell 10w..wishing you lots of luck in your cycle.
Bridget13
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:06 AM

We ended up paying about 15K. Unfortunately my insurance is crap and I have a $7500 deductible for maternity, so we are also paying for my full pregnancy.  If you are able to freeze some is it a lot cheaper to just transfer?

Quoting Analeigh2012:

We are trying to decide if we want to give IVF a try.  We are unexplained as well, but age is a factor.  Can I ask cost?  Seems like ours is VERY expensive.  The insurance will not cover and we were quoted $22,000 per cycle which included all medications.  Our hesitancy isn't fully cost.  Because of my age we were told it may take 3 cycles. Wishing you lots of baby dust for a successful 1st cycle!

ms83501
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Hi there,

I don't know where your located. I'm in the Pacific Northwest. I drive 2 hours to my Fertility doctors one way. The base cost on our IVF is $10,000 including ICSI, labs & ultrasounds. Meds are additional $7,500. My doctor gives a discount for multiple cycles. We don't have the funds for multiple cycles so all our eggs are in one basic, both literally and metaphorically. Age is partially a factor for me based on what my body "age" is. My doc says I have the uterous of a 20 year old but the eggs of a 50+ year old. I'm olny 32. Keep in mind that there are companies out there who donate meds. You have to fill out and application and give them specific inforamtion. Will keep my fingers crossed for you.

ms83501
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Thank you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN