Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HSG x ray tomorrow. Plz tell me it's not as scary/painful/bad as it seems.

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:17 PM
  • 26 Replies

I have been fine all week but reading my instructions and what to expect has got me a little freaked out.

Can anyone explain to me their experience during and after. Thanks.

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toopicky429
by Jackie on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:24 PM
Expect period like cramping. I recommend taking ibuprofen about an hour before the procedure. My RE recommends 600-800mg. Both of mine took less than five minutes, and my RE did the procedure so he told me his findings during the procedure. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
over40bride
by Tracy on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Quoting toopicky429:

Expect period like cramping. I recommend taking ibuprofen about an hour before the procedure. My RE recommends 600-800mg. Both of mine took less than five minutes, and my RE did the procedure so he told me his findings during the procedure. Good luck!

Thank you.

My RE is doing mine as well and I'm told that's a good thing. That he is gentle.

I was told to take 800mg of ibuprofen also but I normally take 2400mgs because my period cramps are so painful I literally almost pass out. (I know it's way too much. Been taking that much for years.)

I wonder if I should take that much tomorrow or just what he recommended?

toopicky429
by Jackie on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:30 PM
I would take what he recommends. Good luck!

Quoting over40bride:

Quoting toopicky429:

Thank you.

My RE is doing mine as well and I'm told that's a good thing. That he is gentle.

I was told to take 800mg of ibuprofen also but I normally take 2400mgs because my period cramps are so painful I literally almost pass out. (I know it's way too much. Been taking that much for years.)

I wonder if I should take that much tomorrow or just what he recommended?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bridget13
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I honestly think it depends on your pain tolerance. A friend of mine had one and said she almost passed while they were pushing the dye through. It was uncomfortable, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I had an ultrasound with saline and I was more uncomfortable from that than the HSG. You will be fine. Definitely make sure you take the ibprofen. :)

storkneedsgps
by RoseTyler on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Mine was not able to be completed because I had pain and paniac attacks. When/if I try again, I will have some anxiety meds to take. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teresalmc
by Teresa on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:54 PM
I had one the other day and its just like a papsmear but it wasn't painful at all the Dr. said I would have cramps but I didn't and everything was perfect. I guess its your pain tolerance, only annoying part is having to put your butt on a propped up towel. lol
over40bride
by Tracy on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Quoting storkneedsgps:

Mine was not able to be completed because I had pain and paniac attacks. When/if I try again, I will have some anxiety meds to take. Good luck!

OMG! I'm sorry and yikes I'm afraid of this. Who performed yours?

over40bride
by Tracy on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Quoting teresalmc:

I had one the other day and its just like a papsmear but it wasn't painful at all the Dr. said I would have cramps but I didn't and everything was perfect. I guess its your pain tolerance, only annoying part is having to put your butt on a propped up towel. lol

Hmmmm. I'm really not sure what my pain tolerance is. I'm guessing not that high since my cramps are so bed. IDK?

I'm glad yours went so smoothly.

over40bride
by Tracy on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Quoting Bridget13:

I honestly think it depends on your pain tolerance. A friend of mine had one and said she almost passed while they were pushing the dye through. It was uncomfortable, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I had an ultrasound with saline and I was more uncomfortable from that than the HSG. You will be fine. Definitely make sure you take the ibprofen. :)

Thanks and yes I will be taking some Motrin!

brupert7
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I just had one last week and I took 800mg of ibuprofen about 1 hr before the test. Mine was done by the radiologist. He had difficulty getting the catheter in because of the way my cervix is positioned, then the dye pushed the cath out because of the way my uterus is positioned, so he had to do the whole thing all over again! It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but the second insertion was definitely worse than the first because everything was already irritated. The catheter placement feels just like a pap. The part that hurt me was the dye being injected; just felt like a really bad period cramp. As soon as the catheter was removed, I had no discomfort or cramps for the rest of the day! He was super nice and told me my results right away. My tubes are open, but my uterus and ovaries are deviated to the right. Good news is that the deviation won't affect a pregnancy! Good luck to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured