Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home IUI??

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:00 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hello loves, i have taken a 5 month break from TTC and from Cafemom but im back full force. Me and hubby have done lots of talking and we found some home IUI kits pretty cheap, and i wanted to see who had used them and if they worked? We are planning to use a Cathadar because of my previous cervical surgeries..

Any insight would be great, ANy help also.. Thanks loves

I don't have an amazing figure or a flat stomach. I am far from being considered a model, but I am me. I eat food, I have curves. I have more fat than I should. I have scars because I have a history. Some people love me, some like me, some hate me. I have done good and I have done bad. I love my Pjs and I go without make-up and sometimes I don't get my hair done. I'm random and crazy. I don't pretend to be someone I am not. I AM WHO I AM, you can love me or not. I WON'T CHANGE! and if I love you, I do it with all my heart! I make no apologies for the way I am!
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wkukid
by Kris on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:38 PM

We did a home iui and I got pregnant first try. We used preseed and a sterile syringe and I laid with my hips up for 30 mins. We did three iuis that cycle.

ILuvMyTots
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM

How much do those cost? and where would you buy one?

femaestro
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM

You can purchase them online, or get syringes (needless) from a drugstore by asking the pharmacist for the syringes for children's medicine.  Other than that all you need is a cleen plastic (clear) cup, preeseed, and a place to hold your legs up :).  There is a lot of advice on line for directions.

wkukid
by Kris on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Preseed I believe is around 25 bucks, you can get it at walgreens, the syringes I got from my doctor but you can get them from a medical supply store or drugstore for super cheap. We used baby food jars we boiled to sterilize for the "deposit". 

Quoting ILuvMyTots:

How much do those cost? and where would you buy one?

ILuvMyTots
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Oh I have preseed!!! and 3 more syringes.....what do you mean you used baby food jars for the "deposit" what deposit. I was thinking an IUI was something done at the Dr...?

StrawberryCool
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM
Never heard of this.

Someone explain?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ILuvMyTots
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I have crappy pillows or something because I try to prop my hips up and they slide out from under me and I can never get into a comfortable position  to lay there for 30 minutes to an hour lol Its funny though to see my hubby and I continuously trying to shove the pillows under my hips

ILuvMyTots
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I do have preeseed, but that's not an IUI....it just suppose to help the little swimmers survive. Would have to go to a Dr for an IUI i would think....

Analeigh2012
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Most Drs will not advise an IUI at home.  The reason - you should never, ever insert an untreated sperm sample directly into your uterus. No matter how sterile the cup is that the sample (deposit) is collected in.  A sperm sample is NOT pure sperm.  There is a lot of "junk" that comes with the sperm during ejaculation.  During normal sex, this sample is deposited into the vagina and the sperm swim through the cervix.  The cervical follicles clean the sperm off - think of it as a car wash.  Then the sperm enter the uterus clean and free of things that can cause an infection.

IUIs at the doctor's office - the sperm are processed and cleaned before the procedure and then injected directly into the uterus clean and using sterile techniques.

Most kits are home insemination kits and a sterile cup should be used.  My recommendation would be to get a sterile sample cup from a pharmacy.  They are inexpensive and ensure once removed from the plastic they are sterile.  As well as getting the sterile needless syringes.  Samples are generally placed into the vagina as far back as possible.  As close to the cervix as possible.  Some kits come with a speculum to hold the vaginal walls open, some with a catheter to ensure deposit back near the cervix.  

IF you are obtaining a clean, processed sample of concentrated sperm from a sperm bank and using that, then you could use a catheter and have some someone feed it through the cervix and deposit the sample in the uterus BUT I would advise extreme caution.  The cervix can sometimes be twisted or angled and the catheter may be difficult to thread through without scraping the cervical wall.  Sometimes doctors need to use forceps to hold the cervix straight and that SHOULD NEVER BE DONE AT HOME.  

Many successful pregnancies have occurred with home insemination kits, care just needs to be taken to ensure infection does not occur.  My husband and I have tried this because of his erectile dysfunction, so we researched well.  

Anyone considering should discuss with their doctor, research and understand the difference between insemination and uterine deposit and proceed with caution.

Wishing you tons of success (OP) and nice to see you back!

Nikk_Partain07
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Thanks everyone for all your help... We are doing IUI because of my cervix isnt working right because of the surgery.. so regular sex isnt doing anything because they cant hardly get thru the poor cervix, we are going to be using cathaters to get thru the cervix since i cant do it naturally.. We are under a midwifes advice, so i know we will be ok.. Thanks yall again.. and i hope to see what happens..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured