Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Hello loves, i have taken a 5 month break from TTC and from Cafemom but im back full force. Me and hubby have done lots of talking and we found some home IUI kits pretty cheap, and i wanted to see who had used them and if they worked? We are planning to use a Cathadar because of my previous cervical surgeries..

Any insight would be great, ANy help also.. Thanks loves

I don't have an amazing figure or a flat stomach. I am far from being considered a model, but I am me. I eat food, I have curves. I have more fat than I should. I have scars because I have a history. Some people love me, some like me, some hate me. I have done good and I have done bad. I love my Pjs and I go without make-up and sometimes I don't get my hair done. I'm random and crazy. I don't pretend to be someone I am not. I AM WHO I AM, you can love me or not. I WON'T CHANGE! and if I love you, I do it with all my heart! I make no apologies for the way I am!
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Replies (11-13):
Nikk_Partain07
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Thanks love for all the helpful informations. I have been researching it and we know the risks involved. We have a midwife that is willing to offer my husband " classes" on what to do..LMAO we tried it once without the cath and it didnt work because of my cervical malfunction. So we are willing to try this ..LMAO Thanks love its good to be back..

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Most Drs will not advise an IUI at home.  The reason - you should never, ever insert an untreated sperm sample directly into your uterus. No matter how sterile the cup is that the sample (deposit) is collected in.  A sperm sample is NOT pure sperm.  There is a lot of "junk" that comes with the sperm during ejaculation.  During normal sex, this sample is deposited into the vagina and the sperm swim through the cervix.  The cervical follicles clean the sperm off - think of it as a car wash.  Then the sperm enter the uterus clean and free of things that can cause an infection.

IUIs at the doctor's office - the sperm are processed and cleaned before the procedure and then injected directly into the uterus clean and using sterile techniques.

Most kits are home insemination kits and a sterile cup should be used.  My recommendation would be to get a sterile sample cup from a pharmacy.  They are inexpensive and ensure once removed from the plastic they are sterile.  As well as getting the sterile needless syringes.  Samples are generally placed into the vagina as far back as possible.  As close to the cervix as possible.  Some kits come with a speculum to hold the vaginal walls open, some with a catheter to ensure deposit back near the cervix.  

IF you are obtaining a clean, processed sample of concentrated sperm from a sperm bank and using that, then you could use a catheter and have some someone feed it through the cervix and deposit the sample in the uterus BUT I would advise extreme caution.  The cervix can sometimes be twisted or angled and the catheter may be difficult to thread through without scraping the cervical wall.  Sometimes doctors need to use forceps to hold the cervix straight and that SHOULD NEVER BE DONE AT HOME.  

Many successful pregnancies have occurred with home insemination kits, care just needs to be taken to ensure infection does not occur.  My husband and I have tried this because of his erectile dysfunction, so we researched well.  

Anyone considering should discuss with their doctor, research and understand the difference between insemination and uterine deposit and proceed with caution.

Wishing you tons of success (OP) and nice to see you back!

I don't have an amazing figure or a flat stomach. I am far from being considered a model, but I am me. I eat food, I have curves. I have more fat than I should. I have scars because I have a history. Some people love me, some like me, some hate me. I have done good and I have done bad. I love my Pjs and I go without make-up and sometimes I don't get my hair done. I'm random and crazy. I don't pretend to be someone I am not. I AM WHO I AM, you can love me or not. I WON'T CHANGE! and if I love you, I do it with all my heart! I make no apologies for the way I am!
Analeigh2012
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:03 AM
I am glad you are consulting a midwife... I would still be VERY hesitant to inject unwashed semen directly into the uterus. Besides the possible cramping (and resulting expellation of the sample) from the gonadotropins contained in semen... you will also be inserting damaged / dead sperm, all of the other components of semen. The chance for infection is very high and an infection starting within the uterus could lead to PID or even full infertility. I am actually really shocked a midwife would agree to help or consult due to the potential liability. Fresh (unwashed) samples can be deposited mid cervix using a catheter but I would never chance an IUI at home without a washed sample. Clinics will wash a sample for you. I'm worried for you :-)

Quoting Nikk_Partain07:

Thanks love for all the helpful informations. I have been researching it and we know the risks involved. We have a midwife that is willing to offer my husband " classes" on what to do..LMAO we tried it once without the cath and it didnt work because of my cervical malfunction. So we are willing to try this ..LMAO Thanks love its good to be back..

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Most Drs will not advise an IUI at home.  The reason - you should never, ever insert an untreated sperm sample directly into your uterus. No matter how sterile the cup is that the sample (deposit) is collected in.  A sperm sample is NOT pure sperm.  There is a lot of "junk" that comes with the sperm during ejaculation.  During normal sex, this sample is deposited into the vagina and the sperm swim through the cervix.  The cervical follicles clean the sperm off - think of it as a car wash.  Then the sperm enter the uterus clean and free of things that can cause an infection.

IUIs at the doctor's office - the sperm are processed and cleaned before the procedure and then injected directly into the uterus clean and using sterile techniques.

Most kits are home insemination kits and a sterile cup should be used.  My recommendation would be to get a sterile sample cup from a pharmacy.  They are inexpensive and ensure once removed from the plastic they are sterile.  As well as getting the sterile needless syringes.  Samples are generally placed into the vagina as far back as possible.  As close to the cervix as possible.  Some kits come with a speculum to hold the vaginal walls open, some with a catheter to ensure deposit back near the cervix.  

IF you are obtaining a clean, processed sample of concentrated sperm from a sperm bank and using that, then you could use a catheter and have some someone feed it through the cervix and deposit the sample in the uterus BUT I would advise extreme caution.  The cervix can sometimes be twisted or angled and the catheter may be difficult to thread through without scraping the cervical wall.  Sometimes doctors need to use forceps to hold the cervix straight and that SHOULD NEVER BE DONE AT HOME.  

Many successful pregnancies have occurred with home insemination kits, care just needs to be taken to ensure infection does not occur.  My husband and I have tried this because of his erectile dysfunction, so we researched well.  

Anyone considering should discuss with their doctor, research and understand the difference between insemination and uterine deposit and proceed with caution.

Wishing you tons of success (OP) and nice to see you back!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nikk_Partain07
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Thanks i might look into how much that is ya know. Shes just willing to explain the procedure and help as much as she can.. I am lucky to have a good friend that will help.. Thanks, we are just talking about it i am not sure if we will do it, but it is something we have thought of and consulted.. Im not to worried because if unwashed was soo bad than noone would be having sex period.. IDK like i said we are trying to find other ways of doing it. we shall see how it goes.. HOpefully the castor oil will do its job on the cervix and i wont need IUI, all we can do is see

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN