Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Anyone know about cytotec?

Posted by   + Show Post
Has anyone had any experience with cytotec?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Replies (11-15):
Angela4boys
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM
I had cytotec for a missed miscarriage... And I had a very bad experience, would not suggest anyone use it, except for it's only FDA approved use for bleeding ulcers. I was given cytotec vaginally, first dose was given and contractions started picking up 4 hours in, at six hours in I was given my second dose. I immediately began passing huge amounts of blood and clots, I sat up and began blacking out, I was rushed back for emergency surgery. A few hours later got up to take the catheter out, obviously the nurse was with me, and as soon as I got to the bathroom passed out. I required a blood transfusion, three units. I had lost 7 1/2 pounds of blood and clots before going back to surgery. After 5 days in the hospital, I was released, and two days later, by chance, come across a story about cytotec. It is known to cause uterine rupture, there are many documented cases. Sadly, doctors use it because it is cheap! The manufacturer does not condone the use for anything except the treatment of ulcers... In fact there is an illustration of a pregnant woman on the box with a big red slash through it.

I am sorry if this scares you, I just wouldn't want anyone to go through what I did. I would never allow a doctor to give that to me again. Google cytotec uterine rupture and countless stories come up. Good luck hun!
terpmama
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:10 AM
Wow! I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I hope everything's ok now! I'm also sorry for your loss. May I ask how far along you were?

Quoting Angela4boys:

I had cytotec for a missed miscarriage... And I had a very bad experience, would not suggest anyone use it, except for it's only FDA approved use for bleeding ulcers. I was given cytotec vaginally, first dose was given and contractions started picking up 4 hours in, at six hours in I was given my second dose. I immediately began passing huge amounts of blood and clots, I sat up and began blacking out, I was rushed back for emergency surgery. A few hours later got up to take the catheter out, obviously the nurse was with me, and as soon as I got to the bathroom passed out. I required a blood transfusion, three units. I had lost 7 1/2 pounds of blood and clots before going back to surgery. After 5 days in the hospital, I was released, and two days later, by chance, come across a story about cytotec. It is known to cause uterine rupture, there are many documented cases. Sadly, doctors use it because it is cheap! The manufacturer does not condone the use for anything except the treatment of ulcers... In fact there is an illustration of a pregnant woman on the box with a big red slash through it.

I am sorry if this scares you, I just wouldn't want anyone to go through what I did. I would never allow a doctor to give that to me again. Google cytotec uterine rupture and countless stories come up. Good luck hun!

Angela4boys
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:21 AM
I was 16 weeks. I am currently in my 5 th week of pregnancy and am nervous as you can imagine.

The problem with cytotec, is once given, they can't turn it off... Like with pitocin. If I knew then what I know now, I would have forced the issue to either be given pitocin, or the D&E. I feel lucky that I still have my uterus under the circumstances. A doctor can not guarantee how your body will respond to the cytotec.

There is a miscarriage and pregnancy loss group on CM, and other women have hemorrhaged on cytotec as well. Some have had no problems with it. I just don't think it's worth the risk, worth potentially losing your uterus. It bothers me that ACOG allows the use of this med when it's an off label use, and nobody warns us off this potential. It's wrong.

Quoting terpmama:

Wow! I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I hope everything's ok now! I'm also sorry for your loss. May I ask how far along you were?

Quoting Angela4boys:

bshaw913
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM
I have used it with 2 of my miscarriages. It worked perfectly with my 10 week blighted ovum and with my 9 week (6 week fetus no hb mc) it took 3 rounds to get my uterus to finally get rid of everything. I have had 4 mc and for early ones, I will probably do that again if I have to induce another one. I had no issues with continuous bleeding or extreme pain. It all happened very quick and easy with the first time and took a week, but wasn't painful the 2nd time. I hope that helps.
terpmama
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:51 AM
Thanks ladies... I car,pec really bad for about 6 hours but ibuprophen helped... Now just normal bleeeeding.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN