Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medicating a cold/flu

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:52 PM
  • 8 Replies

I am sick and need to know what I can take to help. I have a headache, runny nose, muzzy head, chills/fever, aching body, and a bit of a cough.

I am trying to google it and am getting such mixed messages about everything. All I've taken is tylenol. Can I take decongestants? Cold and flu tablets? What about those packets you mix with hot water?

I am in the 2ww. What would you take?

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ZennMomma
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Sudafed was ok to take when I was pregnant, but that was a long time ago.

Wrap yourself up good if you have a fever under 100 and sweat it out. Tea with lemon and honey for your throat, you can also google where the "NyQuil" acupressure point is and push on that a few times a day, it's Lu 7 or Li7.

rest and feel better soon!

over40bride
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Oh Jeeze I never though about things I couldn't take while TTC and the 2ww. I just assumed anything but ibuprofen was fine. Good question!

I usually take Zicam when I feel a cold coming on. It works. I swear by it. Even if you take it once your cold is full blown. It will still help lessen the cold symptoms.

Hope you feel better soon. 

tristahope
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM
I took benadryl while pregnant, sudafed, & dimatap. Prescription wise I took Z-Pack.
Analeigh2012
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:37 PM
I tried not to take anything at all during a month I was TTC or especially during my TWW. I am sick as a dog this week and am glad we are on a break because this is the worst I think I have ever been!

I would think you could use a neti pot to help with congestion because all you do is run that through your nasal passages, it doesn't enter your system. You could use warm compresses also, on your throat, chest and sinuses. That will help a lot! Plus a few hot steamy showers during the day and foods that are natural decongestants like green peppers or hot peppers. Stay hydrated with water also! Water will help thin your mucous which will aid in the congestion. Big hugs and I hope you feel better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lindyjf
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Thanks ladies. Is it the same for ttc as in pregnancy though? I read some meds can affect ovulation, some can affect your cervical mucus, that kind of thing. Since I have already ovulated, maybe it would be ok? IDK. Just as long as none of the meds affect implantation! I'm going to look into all your suggestions. Thanks again! :)

TryingAgain72
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM
I think I'm just The oddball here but I don't treat myself as pregnant unless I know I am. Obviously that doesn't mean I'm gonna go do drugs but if I had a cold I don't think some cold meds would hurt.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CountryGurl308
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I am sick with the cold/Flu to and having the exact same thing going on with me ...worse part is the runny nose that I can't seem to control....but I have been taking all the cold/flu meds. I'm in my 2ww also but I couldn't take this much longer I had to take something.

-Mommy-2-Three-
by Kary on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Quoting Lindyjf:

Thanks ladies. Is it the same for ttc as in pregnancy though? I read some meds can affect ovulation, some can affect your cervical mucus, that kind of thing. Since I have already ovulated, maybe it would be ok? IDK. Just as long as none of the meds affect implantation! I'm going to look into all your suggestions. Thanks again! :)

If you were PRE ovulation i'd say guaifenesi/mucinex but if you are POST ovulation then anythin safe in pregnancy is fine, like benadryl or sudafed (sp) or most any homeopathic remedies like honey/lemon/sugar etc!

I am CD12 & came down with a tummy bug today myself ugh :( horrid timing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)