Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

TTC after Vasectomy

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM
  • 15 Replies

I will be lingering in here a bit. My husband had a Vasectomy a year ago. Now we both regret it (ALWAYS think that out long & well before having it done!), our youngest is going on 4 months so no rush of course but we do want another. He never went back to see if he was "clear". He feels like he still has some, idk how but he thinks he still has some swimmers getting through & says we should try. I agreed of course but I know our odds are pretty slim. Also I'm EBFing. I had one period after my 6 weeks but nothing since. I know he feels very confident that he can still get my pregnant but I know it'll come down to us having to try something else. Anyone ttc after a Vasectomy or have successfully conceived after a Vasectomy  weather it was an oops, reversal, IVF/ICSI, ect...He said he's never paying for any of those but idk how else he thinks it's going to happen. He really believes that we'll be one of the few lucky ones. How I'd love for that to be true...

by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2five87
by Jennifer on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow. That's crazy. lol. So he thinks that his vasectomy failed is basically what he is saying...? That is the only way anything is still gonna get through there. If you want to TTC he is gonna have to get it reversed or something. This is exactly why I can't make my mind up on getting my tubes tied. It's too permanent. You never know when you might change your mind. Good luck!

pregnancy week by week

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

tinkerbellp
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

my husband been fixed and he wish he never done it but, its been soo long but, I told him dont put urself down we both have an chance somewhere just thank god we have each other he feels like what ur husband feels but, I told him sometimes it not always ur fault just didnt know he was planning to get married again now we been together for 8 years he wish he could give me the chance I told gotta learn to have faith

nateslovey
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM
My BIL had one and they tried for 8 years... I'm sure the point of getting it is so you DON'T have anymore... Lol.
Luckily there is a reversal for that. Can't remember what SIL said it cost though.
My hubs is going to get one after this baby #4, we have a 10 year old DD and 2 boys 6 and 2 so we know we will be done. I'm sick of being on BC!
Good luck and I do hope you will be one of the very rare cases but you'll likely need a reversal. :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuvMyBean
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM

why don't you take in a sample and have it tested to see if there are any swimmers? I know the Dr that did DHs only charges $40 to check samples and said to come in if we ever have a concern.

Bradleysmami
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I believe he said $10,000.00? Yea, a lot more than the vasectomy:/

Quoting nateslovey:

My BIL had one and they tried for 8 years... I'm sure the point of getting it is so you DON'T have anymore... Lol.
Luckily there is a reversal for that. Can't remember what SIL said it cost though.
My hubs is going to get one after this baby #4, we have a 10 year old DD and 2 boys 6 and 2 so we know we will be done. I'm sick of being on BC!
Good luck and I do hope you will be one of the very rare cases but you'll likely need a reversal. :(

Bradleysmami
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I'm trying to get him to do that. It'll help a lot if he did!

Quoting LuvMyBean:

why don't you take in a sample and have it tested to see if there are any swimmers? I know the Dr that did DHs only charges $40 to check samples and said to come in if we ever have a concern.

nateslovey
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:33 PM
Oh my!! I didn't think she said it was that much!!

Quoting Bradleysmami:

Quoting nateslovey:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bradleysmami
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:34 PM

My husband thinks I need to have faith as well. It's just hard when you know the odds are against you:( I wish I never mentioned getting a vasectomy!

Quoting tinkerbellp:

my husband been fixed and he wish he never done it but, its been soo long but, I told him dont put urself down we both have an chance somewhere just thank god we have each other he feels like what ur husband feels but, I told him sometimes it not always ur fault just didnt know he was planning to get married again now we been together for 8 years he wish he could give me the chance I told gotta learn to have faith

Bradleysmami
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:41 PM

It may also depend where you live. We live in Iowa, he had it done in NE (we're right on the border).

Quoting nateslovey:

Oh my!! I didn't think she said it was that much!!

Quoting Bradleysmami:

Quoting nateslovey:

CountryGurl308
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 3:02 PM

My DH had a Vasectomy done 3 yrs ago right after we met and it was a sucess. He had a VR done in July of this year being that I wanted kids and don't have any.  The VR cost us about $12,000 which is very expensive, and our insurance didn't cover it. So we have been trying to concieve ever since with no luck so far, but the doc did say that it takes time for DH sperm count to build back up. He is due to go back and see where his counts are.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)