Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anybody been diagnosed with gestational diabetes?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM
  • 10 Replies
I haven't yet but I had my 3 hr test yesterday & I have a feeling its not good. The first test came back with a result of 152, which is pretty high. Then yesterday when I had to drink that super extra sweet drink it made me so very sick. The nurse said that she had to be honest, that's not exactly the best sign. Now I'm really worried & almost convinced that I have it. I am watching what I eat but its a lot harder then I thought it would be. I need someone to talk to that has been through this or is going through this. I could really use some advice. Thanks ladies, for any help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Always_April
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:34 PM
i just got diagnosed 2 weeks ago with it and was hospitalized for 1 of those weeks, my sugars went up over 500 then below 50 im currently 36 weeks and it is very hard it sux bad im here if u wanna talk, i just had an amnio yesterday due to the gestational diabetes and it showed that in the last 2 weeks he has gained (and so have i) alot of weight he was 5lbs 3 oz 3 weeks ago now hes 7lbs 14oz and i gained 7 lbs in 3 weeks when i havent gained that much at all the entire time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM
I did and was on insulin... Exercise is a huge help!! (For all diabetics and can work better than any drug)

The key is protein and carbs together... My diabetes nutritionist (love my insurance!) said to to this...

Breakfast 30 g carbs and 1oz protein
Snack (2 -3 hours later) 30 carbs and 1 oz protein
Lunch 55 g carbs and 4 oz protein
Snack 30 carb 1 oz protein
Dinner 55 g carbs and 4 oz protein

My insulin never had to be changed once we regulated it, I carried to term (he was born on his due date) and he was 7.1. I measured EVERYTHING I ate and swam 3x a week
wantinababygirl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:40 PM
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I've had two other children & have never had this before. It's really scary.

Quoting Always_April:

i just got diagnosed 2 weeks ago with it and was hospitalized for 1 of those weeks, my sugars went up over 500 then below 50 im currently 36 weeks and it is very hard it sux bad im here if u wanna talk, i just had an amnio yesterday due to the gestational diabetes and it showed that in the last 2 weeks he has gained (and so have i) alot of weight he was 5lbs 3 oz 3 weeks ago now hes 7lbs 14oz and i gained 7 lbs in 3 weeks when i havent gained that much at all the entire time

wantinababygirl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM
I'm gonna try this, thank you. I haven't yet been diagnosed but so scared now. I already have big babies & I'm afraid of having to have a c-section or hurting the baby in some way. I don't know what kind of diet they want me on yet so I'm just trying to be careful.

Quoting terpmama:

I did and was on insulin... Exercise is a huge help!! (For all diabetics and can work better than any drug)

The key is protein and carbs together... My diabetes nutritionist (love my insurance!) said to to this...

My insulin never had to be changed once we regulated it, I carried to term (he was born on his due date) and he was 7.1. I measured EVERYTHING I ate and swam 3x a week

terpmama
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:48 PM
The main concern with gd is premature aging of the placenta so make sure you are getting regular check ups!
wantinababygirl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM
I'm going in every two weeks now, is that enough or should it be more often?

Quoting terpmama:

The main concern with gd is premature aging of the placenta so make sure you are getting regular check ups!

wantinababygirl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Bump
Godstime1
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:20 PM

My cousins wife was and partly is due to her wait but she hadn't got rid of it either. but Hopefully in Jesus name you don't have it.

wantinababygirl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Thank you, I'm praying for the same. I told the dr yesterday that I've never had it before in my other pregnancies but this time I was a little heavier when I got pregnant & she says that your weight doesn't really make a difference. I thought it did.

Quoting Godstime1:

My cousins wife was and partly is due to her wait but she hadn't got rid of it either. but Hopefully in Jesus name you don't have it.

Always_April
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:41 PM
my endo doc said it differently to have 3-4 carb exchanges per meal (1carb exchange is 15 grams of carbs) 1 carb exchange and 1 protein exchange for snacks thats been really helpin me except i personally get low over nite so i eat a few more protein before bed, good luck

Quoting wantinababygirl:

I'm gonna try this, thank you. I haven't yet been diagnosed but so scared now. I already have big babies & I'm afraid of having to have a c-section or hurting the baby in some way. I don't know what kind of diet they want me on yet so I'm just trying to be careful.

Quoting terpmama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)