• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Interesting...

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:29 PM
  • 7 Replies

So here I am on CD 46, 17/18dpo, high temps, and BFNs. I'm 3-4 days late which is still kind of early so I definitely wanted to wait before even thinking of contacting my OB about coming in. But I did want to know what steps I should take and inquire on the protocol of what happens if I keep getting BFNs and my period doesn't show up. So I called up to speak to the nurse. She said to just keep waiting. Periods can skip a month. They don't do blood tests. AND they don't even do blood tests after you get a positive result to confirm the pregnancy. They just take your word for it. I just thought that was interesting.

You also aren't supposed to schedule an appt until 8 weeks which is fine but what about testing for Progesterone like another lady had mentioned in a post recently about losing her baby because her progesterone levels were low. Is 8 weeks when they test for that? Or is that something you should request earlier?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
blessedisme3
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:31 PM

My friend lost her baby at like 5w cause of low progesterone, so her next two pregnancies she was on that crap the second she got her BFP!

angela84
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM

That is awful. It stinks because I live in a small town and there is only one OBGYN practice. I would have to drive an hour away to the next largest city. If I get a BFP soon, it might be in my best interest to make that drive and get those early tests. I just wanted to get your opinions especially for future reference even if I don't get pregnant this cycle.

Devious103102
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:53 PM

They don't do bloodwork to confirm? That's odd!

terpmama
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM
I think the progesterone testing only happens routinely if you've had previous problems.... Otherwise you have to request it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ILuvMyTots
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I think it would be worth the drive!! GL Hun

angela84
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Quoting terpmama:

I think the progesterone testing only happens routinely if you've had previous problems.... Otherwise you have to request it.

Is it something that I should be requesting? It sounds like one of those things where you have to lose a baby in order to find out if you need testing for the next one. Is that an accurate assumption?

I have never been pregnant so I wouldn't know if I was at risk I suppose.

terpmama
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:08 PM
I don't believe I've ever had it done... 2 healthy boys and one recent miscarriage (sac but no baby - seems genetic and specific to that pregnancy)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)