Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Metformin***EDIT***

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

Ok, so I've been diagnosed with PCOS since 2006 but have always ben on clomid to try to get prego. Changed Dr's and he put me on Metformin. I've only been on it for about 2 weeks but already I'm on edge cuz my cycles were normal on the clomid I was on since September, it was even normal December without clomid. But now I've started Metformin and AF has been here for almost 2 weeks. I know I'm having some wishful thinking but I really want to have baby #2 asap before DD gets much older (she's already 4.5) Any advice, similar stories, support? Thanks ladies! Lots of prayers, luck and baby dust to you all!

Edit***** ok, so took my OPK for today cuz I noticed a lot of cramping. Glad to announce on CD12 I'm not longer spotting/light menstrating and I'm a little thrown off cuz I got a +OPK! I didnt expect that with it being so close to when AF left the building! lol But I need to know if a long af and early O is normal on Metformin!

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
-Mommy-2-Three-
by Kary on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this
If you have PCOS metformin is honestly the best treatment to START.......once you've been on metformin & worked up to a dose that works for you THEN add clomid........you'll be AMAZED how much better results you'll get & how much healthier your body will be to care for a growing baby too mostly.
tattdmom2prncss
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Ya the new Dr mentioned adding clomid in at a later time. I have to admit I'd LOVE if metformin did the trick on its own and I could simply function like a normal-fertility woman. I know the Dr is also very concerned about the miscarriages I have. I've had 5 (4 before my DD & 1 after), so the other concern ontop of concieving is carrying. There's a chance that if he cant figure it out he may require surgery to explore my tubes and search for endometriosis. But I'm hoping it doesnt come to that.

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

If you have PCOS metformin is honestly the best treatment to START.......once you've been on metformin & worked up to a dose that works for you THEN add clomid........you'll be AMAZED how much better results you'll get & how much healthier your body will be to care for a growing baby too mostly.

-Mommy-2-Three-
by Kary on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM

How have your mid luteal progesterone levels been on clomid (of if you had it checked not on clomid)???

With PCOS you are at an increased risk of miscarriage particularly due to low progesterone issues.............being on metformin when you conceive GREATLY decreases those risks associated with PCOS which is great!!! :)

GL hun 

Quoting tattdmom2prncss:

Ya the new Dr mentioned adding clomid in at a later time. I have to admit I'd LOVE if metformin did the trick on its own and I could simply function like a normal-fertility woman. I know the Dr is also very concerned about the miscarriages I have. I've had 5 (4 before my DD & 1 after), so the other concern ontop of concieving is carrying. There's a chance that if he cant figure it out he may require surgery to explore my tubes and search for endometriosis. But I'm hoping it doesnt come to that.

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

mamabirch88
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Metformin is the best way to go for pcos. Clomid should not be used long term for ttc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tattdmom2prncss
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:14 PM

The first time (when I got my DD) I cant remember cuz that was back in 06-07, the second time on clomid we tried it on our own and so I didnt get my blood work done and the last Dr wouldnt draw my blood for the 21 day check which is one of the reasons why I left him.

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

How have your mid luteal progesterone levels been on clomid (of if you had it checked not on clomid)???

With PCOS you are at an increased risk of miscarriage particularly due to low progesterone issues.............being on metformin when you conceive GREATLY decreases those risks associated with PCOS which is great!!! :)

GL hun 

Quoting tattdmom2prncss:

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

tattdmom2prncss
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I've heard that more than once but yet I seem to only have had Dr's before that just threw Clomid at me and sent me on my way. The first time I was on it for nearly a year and the Dr wanted me to jump right back on it after I had my DD and I refused. The second time was for 4 months and this time was for 3 months.

Quoting mamabirch88:

Metformin is the best way to go for pcos. Clomid should not be used long term for ttc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)