Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT- Has anyone had to deal with a young child grieving?

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM
  • 5 Replies

My dad passed away in June and my six year old is still having a hard time dealing with it.  Are there any groups that anyone knows of that will offer ideas to help deal with this?  My son was the only grandchild and we were at my parents house everyday.  We only lived a block away.  My family is very close and although we knew it was going to happen because he was diagnosed in Nov 2009, my son was still too young at that point to understand.  Yes we knew it was going to happen but it doesnt mean the heartache and pain will not still be there.  I'm having a difficult time with it let alone having to try to comfort a six year old about it too.  Any help and advise would be appreciated. 

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
sissy852
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:20 PM
I am sorry for your loss. Here is a bump hope some one can help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hypnautica
by Jennifer on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Maybe try taking him to a pediatric counselor
that offers help with learning how to cope with a loss. So sorry for your loss :( I lost my Grandpa who was more like a Dad 10 yrs ago and it still hurts at times.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
charm2mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. My grandfather and cousin died when I was around your son's age and I vaguely remember my mom saying they are in heaven now and are watching over us. I don't think I really understood though...I just remember everyone being very sad.

MiKaLa88
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:48 PM
I hope you're able to get him some help and the closure he needs. My best friends little girl is going through this over her great grandpa. She will still break down in tears and cry over him being gone quite often. They talk with her and remind her that her grandpa is in a better place and talk about what he's probably doing in that place right now. She finds a lot of peace in discussing it and talking her feelings out. She is 5 as well.
sunnshine_mama
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:50 PM
My son remembers everything. The other night we were driving home and he sstarted crying I asked what was wrong and he said I miss grandpa and I asked what made him think about that and he said the song on the radio. When I turned it up and could hear it better I realized it was one of the songs that was played at my dads funeral. He has a memory of someone older. I really do think he has a photographic memory cause even at his age he can be in a car and you ask him how to get somewhere he can tell you where to turn and give u directions
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)