Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Man donates sperm, now to pay child support? - PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:26 AM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think this is fair to Mr. Marotta?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 55

View Results

A sperm donor in Kansas is fighting a state effort to force him to pay child support for a child conceived through artificial insemination by a lesbian couple.

William Marotta, 46, of Topeka said he is "a little scared about where this is going to go, primarily for financial reasons," The Topeka Capital-Journal reported Monday.

When he donated sperm to Angela Bauer and Jennifer Schreiner in 2009, Marotta relinquished all parental rights, including financial responsibility to the child. When Bauer and Schreiner filed for state assistance this year, the state demanded the donor's name so it could collect child support for the now 3-year-old girl. Bauer and Schreiner broke up in 2010 but co-parent their eight children, who range in age from 3 months to 25 years.

"In the long run, I think this will be a good thing, but I'm the one getting squashed," Marotta said. "I can't even believe it's gone this far at this point, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it."

Full story here

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BethRae
by Bethany on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:33 AM
3 moms liked this
Heck no!! He was just a donor. The lesbian couple should be responsible for all financial support of the child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emily_Lynn
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Absolutley not. He was just the donor and should not be held responsible. If anything, I believe that he helped these women out and gave them the amazing gift of a child.

charm2mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

this is absolutely out of line. I hope they fix it, pronto!

PerfectVirgo
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:41 AM

This is crazy. But at the bottom of the article it says that since they didn't use a licensed physician for the insemination, he'll have to pay. Poor guy.

MrsLondon
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:44 AM

THIS

Quoting BethRae:

Heck no!! He was just a donor. The lesbian couple should be responsible for all financial support of the child.

ShellBeth
by Michelle on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

The sad part is that it isnt the lesbian couple who is seeking support - the state is trying to recoup money they have paid to the lesbian couple. If people skim the article or just read the headline or hear about it they may think that the couple is going after the friend!

over40bride
by Tracy on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Sad to say but the smart thing for the one who conceived the baby would have been to say it was a one night stand and she didn't know his name. If there was no doc involved and no record how would the state know any different?

No. The donor should not have to pay. Sucks for all involved.

CathyPowell
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM

What a slap in the face to him after he did a completely selfless act of kindness for this couple! Sheesh! The state should just drop it...bad publicity for them for sure!

manna_8809
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Quoting BethRae:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jesi102
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:44 PM
This for sure!!!

Quoting Emily_Lynn:

Absolutley not. He was just the donor and should not be held responsible. If anything, I believe that he helped these women out and gave them the amazing gift of a child.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN