Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Blood clots after birth

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:55 AM
  • 17 Replies
I passed a blood clot about the size of a fist while at the hospital. Has anyone ever passed one that large? The nurses and doctors didnt seem to concerned but it freaked me out and my bleeding hasn't increased thankfully.
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amc103
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:12 AM

Yes, I had the same thing. It was when I went to take my first shower after birth. (c section) It came out in the shower and I called the nurse because it was so big. she said it looked normal to her. It was the same size as the one you've described. I thought it was huge! Im not sure if this had anything to do with anything, but a month later, I had retained placenta. You might as your dr about it if you pass any more that size, but I was also told that it was normal. :-) Hope this helps. Congrats on your baby! 

happy41ce
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:19 AM
Totally normal :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Peera
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:49 AM

I was told to call if I passed any larger than plums, but they aren't concerned unless you start bleeding more profusely after passing it. I don't know what I would have done if I'd passed one the size of my fist, the one that was half that size freaked me out!

CafeMom Tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 15 to 80 day cycle tickers

mama2gg
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Yup
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cmcook89
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Quoting amc103:

Yes, I had the same thing. It was when I went to take my first shower after birth. (c section) It came out in the shower and I called the nurse because it was so big. she said it looked normal to her. It was the same size as the one you've described. I thought it was huge! Im not sure if this had anything to do with anything, but a month later, I had retained placenta. You might as your dr about it if you pass any more that size, but I was also told that it was normal. :-) Hope this helps. Congrats on your baby! 

. Did you develop an infection? How did you know you had retained placenta
amc103
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:26 AM

No infection, thankfully, but I had a major vaginal hemmorage and got rushed to the ER. (while I was hosting a dinner party, no less. Talk about most embarrasing moment EVER) I had it confirmed in my OB's office the next day. She gave me meds to make my uterus contract and try to push it out, but that didnt work. I had to go in a week later and have a D&C. :-(

Quoting cmcook89:

Quoting amc103:

. Did you develop an infection? How did you know you had retained placenta

cmcook89
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Quoting amc103:

. When you passed that clot did it have tissue in it that looked like placenta? Or was it just clots of blood? Sorry to keep asking so many questions.
amc103
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Hey! No worries! Ask all the questions you have! Nope, it just looked like, well, like liver kind of. Not to be gross! But it didnt have any veins or capilaries or anything like that. Just smooth, slippery, almost black and big. eeekk! 

Quoting cmcook89:

Quoting amc103:

. When you passed that clot did it have tissue in it that looked like placenta? Or was it just clots of blood? Sorry to keep asking so many questions.

justme00
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:55 PM
After I had my 2nd son I passed a clot the size of a melon no joke it scared the hell out of me. Two different nurse looked at it one said it was a clot the other was unsure so they sent it to the lab. It grossed me out to think someone was going to cut into it and check it out. Needless to say it was just a very large clot. I was fine after it passed no heavy bleeding.
cmcook89
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Quoting amc103:

thank you for your help. I am so afraid something is going to happen while im at home by myself with my babies. Did you have any children after this if so did it cause trouble conceiving?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)