Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Blood clots after birth

Posted by   + Show Post
I passed a blood clot about the size of a fist while at the hospital. Has anyone ever passed one that large? The nurses and doctors didnt seem to concerned but it freaked me out and my bleeding hasn't increased thankfully.
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:55 AM
Replies (11-17):
acook0331
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I passed a ton of clots when I would go for walks the first few weeks after birth. I was told to call if they were bigger than an egg.

amc103
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Oh no! I can understand why you're worried, but Im sure everything will be fine. Just keep your cell phone handy always just in case, you know? remember too, that the nurse told me that clot was normal, just like other posters have said. :-) I am happy to say that what happened to me has had NO bearing on my being able to concieve. :-) Last fall, we got pregnant with an "oops" but were thrilled. Unfortunately, I lost that baby at 6 w5d. But, when we decided it was time to try again, to actively concieve, it only took one cycle. :-) Im now 34 weeks with my rainbow baby. :-) So concieving has not been a problem. :-) I would say, just try to be in tune with your body-keep an eye on what it does in the next few weeks and go from there. You know your body best, not the doctors. If you have concerns, tell them for sure. I am happy that I can help and answer your questions! If you have anymore, feel free to ask me! Hugs!

Quoting cmcook89:

Quoting amc103:

thank you for your help. I am so afraid something is going to happen while im at home by myself with my babies. Did you have any children after this if so did it cause trouble conceiving?

cmcook89
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Quoting amc103:

it looks like I have retained products of conception. They are waiting on the radiology report. Was yours diagnosed via ultrasound? How was the d&c? I'm so scared I just want to be home with my babies.
amc103
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Oh no! Im so sorry to hear that. :-( Yes, mine was diagnosed via ultrasound. The day after I had the vaginal hemorage, I went to my OB's office. she was not a good doctor. I do not have a good story. She didnt put me under for it, and she did it right there in her office with just a needle to the cervix to numb it. Then she had to scrape and scrape because one piece wouldnt let go....it was a terrible experience. BUT, she was a TERRIBLE doctor. I have had another D&C since then for a mc and it was NOTHING like the first. (different doctor, go figure) What will probably happen with you is they will put you under, do the procedure and give you pain med afterwards, although you probably wont need them. When you talk to your doctor about it, just make sure they plan on putting you to sleep for the procedure. Its really not bad at all, when done the correct way. :-) When I had mine done for the mc, I was up and around and hour later and left 4 hours later. (only because its the law here in Poland that they have to keep you for that long afterwards) I didnt need any pain meds afterwards either. 

My advice is to just talk to your doctor about every little thing that you're worried about so he/she can put your mind at ease. Remember that my first D&C was NOT normal-but everything was fine once I healed. It never caused a problem with conception or anything like that afterwards. Everything will be fine, Im sure! I'll be thinking of you! When are you getting it done? Let me know if you have any questions about anything....Im not anything near a medical professional, but I can tell you how things were in my experience. :-) HUGS to you! Im sorry you're going through it. :-(

Quoting cmcook89:

Quoting amc103:

it looks like I have retained products of conception. They are waiting on the radiology report. Was yours diagnosed via ultrasound? How was the d&c? I'm so scared I just want to be home with my babies.

cmcook89
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM

They actually let me go from the hospital today to see if i could pass it on my own. an ob/gyn did another u/s and she said it looked like blood and clots in my uterus.  I go back on Monday for another u/s to see if it has gotten smaller.  She said there's no definite way of knowing if its actual tissue or just blood without d & c.  I will keep you updated, i'm just scared of being put completely under if i have to have it and also what it might do to my fertility.  they said it was good that i wasn't running  afever and my hemoglobin was normal.

Quoting amc103:

Oh no! Im so sorry to hear that. :-( Yes, mine was diagnosed via ultrasound. The day after I had the vaginal hemorage, I went to my OB's office. she was not a good doctor. I do not have a good story. She didnt put me under for it, and she did it right there in her office with just a needle to the cervix to numb it. Then she had to scrape and scrape because one piece wouldnt let go....it was a terrible experience. BUT, she was a TERRIBLE doctor. I have had another D&C since then for a mc and it was NOTHING like the first. (different doctor, go figure) What will probably happen with you is they will put you under, do the procedure and give you pain med afterwards, although you probably wont need them. When you talk to your doctor about it, just make sure they plan on putting you to sleep for the procedure. Its really not bad at all, when done the correct way. :-) When I had mine done for the mc, I was up and around and hour later and left 4 hours later. (only because its the law here in Poland that they have to keep you for that long afterwards) I didnt need any pain meds afterwards either. 

My advice is to just talk to your doctor about every little thing that you're worried about so he/she can put your mind at ease. Remember that my first D&C was NOT normal-but everything was fine once I healed. It never caused a problem with conception or anything like that afterwards. Everything will be fine, Im sure! I'll be thinking of you! When are you getting it done? Let me know if you have any questions about anything....Im not anything near a medical professional, but I can tell you how things were in my experience. :-) HUGS to you! Im sorry you're going through it. :-(

Quoting cmcook89:

Quoting amc103:

theirmommy04
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Yes, happened with my last. Nurse said its normal.
amc103
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:07 AM

I know that the NOT really knowing what's going on sucks. Im sorry. :-( But maybe you WILL pass it! have you had a period since the birth of your baby? They gave me misoprostal (sp?) to try and make my body get rid of it. I hope that you do pass it on your own! It sounds like you dont have signs of an infection which is great! About the future fertility worry....when my terrible doctor did the d&c, she kept scraping and scraping, like I said because of that one piece. She finally had another doctor come in and have a look, and they didnt end up getting that one piece. She literally told me that if she kept trying, she might damage my uterus. (I ended up passing that tiny piece during my next period) So I would say mine was a very aggressive D&C, and I had NO future problems from it in regards to fertility. :-) The chances that a D&C will hurt your chances to be fertile in the future are really really slim. Going under anistesia (sp?) is not a super fantastic experience, but not a terrible one either. I know its scarry, but try and take it a day at a time....maybe you wont even have to have the D&C! :-) I'll be praying for that! Keep me updated! good luck

Quoting cmcook89:

They actually let me go from the hospital today to see if i could pass it on my own. an ob/gyn did another u/s and she said it looked like blood and clots in my uterus.  I go back on Monday for another u/s to see if it has gotten smaller.  She said there's no definite way of knowing if its actual tissue or just blood without d & c.  I will keep you updated, i'm just scared of being put completely under if i have to have it and also what it might do to my fertility.  they said it was good that i wasn't running  afever and my hemoglobin was normal.

Quoting amc103:

Quoting cmcook89:

Quoting amc103:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN