Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Question about FMU and OPKs

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:39 AM
  • 14 Replies
Ok, I know with certain brands of OPKs, you're not supposed to use FMU, because LH can build up in your system overnight. I'm using FR digitals this month.

When I get up in the AM (at 6) to get my two oldest girls ready for school and take them to the bus stop, I pee, and usually have about half a cup of juice or water. My question is, if I wake up later, say at 10 or 11, could I take my OPK with that urine, or would that still be considered FMU?

Or, for example, last night, when we BD'd around 3:30 AM and I peed after....would my peeing at 6 AM still be considered FMU? Sorry if these sounds like dumb questions, and I probably should've asked them at the beginning of my cycle, but it really didn't occur to me to ask until just now lol.

Thanks for all the input, I look forward to reading it when I wake up!

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ttc1rainbow
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:30 AM

You should be okay. I didn't go by the rule of thumb of NOT using FMU. I also tested 3 times a day though, to be sure I had good chances of catching the surge. I think you're perfectly fine testing around 10 or so :)

mama2gg
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:47 AM
After holding with nothing to drink for 4 hours same as fmu

Also read the most MOST opk don't use fmu
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShellBeth
by Michelle on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

You BD at 3:30 in the morning! Holy dedication batman! I dont know the answer to  your question - I just had to point out that I havent seen 3:30 AM since I was breastfeeding LOL.

.Peaches.
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM
My sweetie is a manager of a restaurant, so he usually closes if he goes in after 3 PM, which can mean he gets home anywhere from 1:30 AM to after 3 AM. I had to get it in girl lol

Quoting ShellBeth:

You BD at 3:30 in the morning! Holy dedication batman! I dont know the answer to  your question - I just had to point out that I havent seen 3:30 AM since I was breastfeeding LOL.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.Peaches.
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Not all use FMU, but some don't specify either. I know you're not supposed to drink anything for a least 2 hours prior to testing, but I've never seen anything anywhere that says if you hold if for longer than 4 hours, it counts as FMU.

Cuz if that's the case, I've been doing it wrong this whole cycle and STILL haven't gotten a pos.

Quoting mama2gg:

mama2gg
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM
I'm just telling you after 4 years using them

Most don't use fmu cause lh has to build

And you don't have to hold I've always gotten a bfp at 1pm after lunch and a 64oz water.

And yes as with hpt as well holding for 4 is the same exact. As fmu. Look it up love

If you haven't gotten a positive that may be why

Quoting .Peaches.:

Not all use FMU, but some don't specify either. I know you're not supposed to drink anything for a least 2 hours prior to testing, but I've never seen anything anywhere that says if you hold if for longer than 4 hours, it counts as FMU.

Cuz if that's the case, I've been doing it wrong this whole cycle and STILL haven't gotten a pos.

Quoting mama2gg:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Peaches.
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM
I just typed out a really long reply and if poofed.

So basically, you're telling me that I need to drink more, and hold it less than 2 hours? Because that's going against what the instructions says for the digital ones. The one time I did drink less than 2 hours before I tested, I got a ? mark because my urine was too diluted. I test twice a day- once around noonish, then again between 8-10.

I'm thinking I haven't gotten a pos because I O later than I thought.

Quoting mama2gg:

And you don't have to hold I've always gotten a bfp at 1pm after lunch and a 64oz water.

And yes as with hpt as well holding for 4 is the same exact. As fmu. Look it up love

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting mama2gg:

mama2gg
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM

llolol no,

you dont have to hold any but you also dont have to not drink anything for hours just go about your day as normal and just pee around 12-2pm

you cant dilute lh it builds its not anything like hcg

Quoting .Peaches.:

So basically, you're telling me that I need to drink more, and hold it less than 2 hours? Because that's going against what the instructions says for the digital ones. The one time I did drink less than 2 hours before I tested, I got a ? mark because my urine was too diluted. I test twice a day- once around noonish, then again between 8-10.

Quoting mama2gg:

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting mama2gg:

.Peaches.
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM
I'm thinking about skipping the whole 'not using FMU crap' too. If its going to pick up an LH surge, then its going to do it regardless if you wait 2 hours or 5. At least, that's what I remember from my nursing classes. Those tests are pretty sensitive, so it doesn't take much to be detected to get a pos result.

Plus, I'm tired of having to time when I can drink something, shoot! Lol

Quoting ttc1rainbow:

You should be okay. I didn't go by the rule of thumb of NOT using FMU. I also tested 3 times a day though, to be sure I had good chances of catching the surge. I think you're perfectly fine testing around 10 or so :)

.Peaches.
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM
I'm tellin you man, the instructions make it sound like you gotta plan your whole damn day around the toilet and fluid intake! Lol

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm just gonna go on about my day as usual, because its definitely been making me nuts for the last 4 days.

Quoting mama2gg:

llolol no,

you dont have to hold any but you also dont have to not drink anything for hours just go about your day as normal and just pee around 12-2pm

you cant dilute lh it builds its not anything like hcg

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting mama2gg:

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting mama2gg:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN