Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Miscarriage - what to expect - Update

Posted by   + Show Post

So I had my hcg tested again yesterday & my OB called with the results this morning.  Last Thursday it was 180, yesterday it was 193.  So I clearly am going to miscarry at some point.  It went up, but not nearly enough to indicate a viable pregnancy.

He said something about doing another blood test if I don't start bleeding but I missed how long to wait.

How long would you guess that it would take for me to actually miscarry?

He said to stop taking the progesterone supplement but not to throw it out.  He really wants my DH & I to have another baby & was suggesting I come in to talk to him about Clomid.  He said it helps with egg quality but also with supporting the corpus luteum (I think I have the term right).  Not sure what I think there, not a huge fan of Clomid or know if I really want to go through trying again.  But we won't decide that right now anyway.

Update - I started bleeding yesterday. So far, not too bad. It's only slightly heavier than an af. Mild cramping this morning, but Tylenol took care of it.

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
Oregongirl40
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:27 AM

so sorry to read this :(:(:( ...most of my miscarriages occur at the 8 week mark when you would normally expect your period. I took fertility meds to increase egg quality as well. Even then I was told odds are 1-4 eggs are usually good. this one was our 5 counting 1 chemical.  So for us 5 was the lucky number.  You might get lucky and  #2 will be yours. Wait one full cycle then start trying again your extra fertile for the next few months following a loss. Praying for you and your angel.

bookworm97
by Kelly on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:41 AM

I'm sorry to hear this. :(  I was 29 weeks when I lost my baby. They had to deliver me naturally....so I'm not sure how it works for an early miscarriage. ((HUGS)) coming your way and a BUMP! for anyone who can share her experience with you.

amy31308
by Ashlee on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:57 AM
Again, I am so sorry.

I know many people prefer miscarrying naturally but my friend recently had to have a D&c and had a "great" experience with it. Most bleeding she had was spotting and not many cramps. All she had to do was deal with the emotional side of it. She told me she couldn't imagine dealing with it physically as well.

Not trying to tell you what to do. Just her experience. I know I've never been through it but I wish you the best and if you need to talk I have two ears ( well two eyes..)

:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MiKaLa88
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:10 AM
I'm so sorry. I had a miscarriage at 7 weeks, but it started on its own. I know I wouldn't be able to handle to waiting game. So sorry you're having to go through this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rachelz123
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:13 AM
I'm so sorry :( I had a mc at 6 weeks and I went on my own. Just bled a lot and my numbers went from 191 to 5 in like a day. I passed a very large clot when having a bowel movement (sorry TMI) and I think that was everything because I had an us right after and my uterus was empty. Again I'm so sorry.
lbrummett
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM
So sorry Gwen:( I was praying so hard for you.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Thanks ladies.

I'm not very excited about the waiting game.  It makes me a little nervous wondering if I should be prepared at all times, everywhere I go.  I'm planning to go to a scrapbooking retreat next weekend, potentially dealing with it there doesn't sound like fun.

I'm going to call my OB Monday just to talk to him about this again. I don't think I absorbed half of what he said on Friday.

Laurajc06
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I'm so sorry Gwen, this is exactly what happened to me. My first beta was 107 and 2 days later it was only 116. I was told that it was a threatened miscarriage and sure enough I started bleeding the very next day. I hope that your body will naturally take care of itself soon so you can start to move on. Its been a week for me now and still heartbroken but looking forward to ttc again. My Dr is also suggesting clomid for a stronger egg/corpus luteum so I think it must be a pretty common approach to low beta levels in early pregnancy.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Laurajc06:

I'm so sorry Gwen, this is exactly what happened to me. My first beta was 107 and 2 days later it was only 116. I was told that it was a threatened miscarriage and sure enough I started bleeding the very next day. I hope that your body will naturally take care of itself soon so you can start to move on. Its been a week for me now and still heartbroken but looking forward to ttc again. My Dr is also suggesting clomid for a stronger egg/corpus luteum so I think it must be a pretty common approach to low beta levels in early pregnancy.

I hope it starts soon for me, too!  I'm sorry you're going through this as well. :(

Forever.pink
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I am SO sorry :( below is my experience...

I started having bad period like cramps before I got the results from my HCG/PROGESTERONE test confirming I was indeed going to miscarry. They tried to convince me to have a D&C but I told them no. I started miscarrying naturally that night. With a TON of emotional and physical pain I made it through the night without having to go to the ER...I was given Hydrocodine for pain the next day (but even with the pain medication my pain level was still a 7). I was able to pass all of the tissue within two days but I bled for almost 2 Weeks after and was taking Hydrocodine for the pain. I don't think I needed to go that long necessarily...it just freaked me out when I felt cramping because I didn't want to experience the pain I felt that first night :( I totally recommend miscarrying naturally...but I definitely understand why some ladies don't!
I also suggest keeping a few pads in your purse just in case you don't cramp before. I don't think the retreat would be good to go to right now...I couldn't do anything but lay on the couch with a heating pad :( but that's just me...again I'm so very sorry :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)