Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

New to this site

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi...I'm new to this site but I have a couple of questions for anyone out there who would like to answer.  My husband and I have been trying to have a baby for about 4 1/2 years now.  2 days ago, I took a pregnancy test (Equate brand) and it was positive in like 2 seconds.  I called my doctors office to schedule and have him confirm it but they said that as long as I had a positive test, that is all the confirmation they do.  They scheduled me  a phone appointment with the nurse at 10 weeks and an appointment with doctor at 12 weeks.  Is this normal?  Don't they usually confirm it first?  Or are the home tests really that accurate?  Has anyone ever had a false positive?  

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lilmommie0509
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this
No, I think you need to change your doctor.. They always want you to come in and do a test there and so if its positive you start to get the prenatal care you need..
Latvia
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM

home tests are pretty accurate. if you  got strong positive within seconds i would say it is VERY SAFE to say you are pregnant! Congrats! and yes it is VERY common for dr to not see you till much later.

kellyesjester
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Welcome hopefully we can all help u and conbratz...but no I never heard of a doctor doing that. They always have u come in so they can confirm and start tracking everything...I would go to anotner doctor.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DavonnaC
by Davonna on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Well I can't speak from experience because I've never had a baby but I thought most people got a blood test to confirm? And then an ultrasound around four weeks or at least 8? What about prenatal vitamins? Isn't there anything you need to discuss before 10 weeks?? 

So_Devious20
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM
uhh.. yes and no? I know some doctors don't want to see you till 8 weeks. 12 weeks is late. but honestly they will just make you pee in a cup like at home unless they test your blood
louthamanboys
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM
this

Quoting lilmommie0509:

No, I think you need to change your doctor.. They always want you to come in and do a test there and so if its positive you start to get the prenatal care you need..

ShellBeth
by Michelle on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM

My doctor doesnt do confirmation tests after a + HPT but they have the first office visit between 6-8 weeks. My mom is an OBGYN nurse and she said they dont do confirmation tests unless you have a history of miscarriage and they want to check  your numbers and their first visit is at 10 weeks.

Herlache
by Jessie on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:40 PM
When I called my dr and said I got a positive hpt she had me come in for a blood test to confirm.... If your ob won't do a blood test would your regular dr?
laurie14
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM

my dr. didnt see me until I was 8 weeks, but did an inital appt with the nurse to go over basics.. (insurance, health background, etc).. I would say it is common that they don't see you until a few weeks, but not until 12 wks, thats seems to far along?!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN