Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Can I trust my BBT?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:49 AM
  • 7 Replies

Just when I thought I got the hang of taking BBT, I am now totally confused. I bought a second BBT thermometer during a trip since I forgot to pack one. So now I have 2 BBT thermometers, same brand. This morning, I used the 2 to take my temp consecutively....and they were different. 97.54 and 97.64.  Now which is the right BBT? So I tried using two to take the temp at the same time ... tried this three time one after the other and I got: thermometer A: 97.58, 97.46, 97.50 and thermometer B: 97.43, 97.43, 97.58. THis is oral temp.

WTF?  How can I trust my charting skills now??

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Rachelz123
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Stick with one the whole cycle. You shouldn't switch. Those temps aren't that different so I don't think it should effect your chart. My thermometer doesn't even read .00 so my temps look like 97.4 then after O jump to 98.3 or something like that. You will still be able to see a thermal shift. Also if you breath thru your mouth a lot at night that will effect your temp too. I temp vaginally for that very reason and my temps have been so much more consistent.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
xtriciax
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:04 AM

im not sure new to bbt but  here is a bump hun

ShellBeth
by Michelle on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I agree with this. The important thing isnt the temp itself but the shifts in temps so just stick with one thermometer the whole time and you should be fine.

Quoting Rachelz123:

Stick with one the whole cycle. You shouldn't switch. Those temps aren't that different so I don't think it should effect your chart. My thermometer doesn't even read .00 so my temps look like 97.4 then after O jump to 98.3 or something like that. You will still be able to see a thermal shift. Also if you breath thru your mouth a lot at night that will effect your temp too. I temp vaginally for that very reason and my temps have been so much more consistent.

Lindyjf
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:14 AM
I agree with the PPs. As long as you stick with one thermometer, you should still be able to see your thermal shift when you ovulate. I don't think a slight difference in the actual temp matters too much.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
krissy920
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

actually if you are temping orally you have hot and cold pockets in you rmouth so theoretically you can get  2 diff temps at the same time with the same thermometer. Are you temping orally or vaginally? I would stick with the same one every time if you can though.

charm2mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

This is helpful to know. I temp orally. Maybe I will try vaginally next cycle. 

Quoting krissy920:

actually if you are temping orally you have hot and cold pockets in you rmouth so theoretically you can get  2 diff temps at the same time with the same thermometer. Are you temping orally or vaginally? I would stick with the same one every time if you can though.

charm2mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Thanks. For sure now I will ow...but I thought they would be more precise than this. If it is this off, I don't see why you would need a BBT thermometer specifically.  I guess I will try vaginal temping...maybe I'll do both:) 

Quoting Rachelz123:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)