Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

Is this endometriosis? Advice!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:40 PM
  • 22 Replies
I've always had bad periods that are pretty long, heavy, and painful. I start cramping and have back pain a week or more before it starts. I just thought this was how it always was, but now I'm having some painful sex, too. Since reading more into TTC, I've been wondering if this could be endometriosis. Obviously, I will go to the doctor, but I wanted to see what you ladies thought first. My cycles are regular (28-30 days) and I always ovulate on my own, usually CD14-16.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
20Keller12
by Michael on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:50 PM

How long are your periods? If they're disproportionately long compared with your total cycle length (like 6 days or more) then probably. I'm in the process of finding out if I have endometriosis. My cycles used to be about 25 days (used to be meaning before depo) and my periods were 6 days long. The first two days of my cycles it felt like I was burning alive, that's the only way to describe it. I would take 4 ibuprofen every 6 hours for the full 2 days, and it would barely hold it off. The only thing I have left is the laparscopy surgery to find out for sure, but my gyno said (after an internal exam) that just based on the pain I was in with the internal exam she thinks I do. :/

IansMommy2012
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Really I have terrible
Periods that last 6-7 days granted I don't bleed heavy all those days hut usually 4-5 heavy along with the cramping and stuff but I've never thought endo :/

Quoting 20Keller12:

How long are your periods? If they're disproportionately long compared with your total cycle length (like 6 days or more) then probably. I'm in the process of finding out if I have endometriosis. My cycles used to be about 25 days (used to be meaning before depo) and my periods were 6 days long. The first two days of my cycles it felt like I was burning alive, that's the only way to describe it. I would take 4 ibuprofen every 6 hours for the full 2 days, and it would barely hold it off. The only thing I have left is the laparscopy surgery to find out for sure, but my gyno said (after an internal exam) that just based on the pain I was in with the internal exam she thinks I do. :/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsMatthew
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:56 PM
You just described me every month. If you include the last couple of days which are just heavy spotting, they are usually about 6 days long. I've have internal exams before, and they never said anything. Can you tell from an internal exam if you have it?

Quoting 20Keller12:

20Keller12
by Michael on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:03 PM

No. Internal exams and ultrasounds can give you an idea if it's really severe,but the only way to get a confirmed diagnosis is a laparscopy, which is an exploratory surgery where they inflate your abdomen with CO2, make a small incision (like an inch) and insert a tube with a camera on the end into your abdomen, so the doctor can actually see the organs and see if there's any growths.

Quoting MrsMatthew:

You just described me every month. If you include the last couple of days which are just heavy spotting, they are usually about 6 days long. I've have internal exams before, and they never said anything. Can you tell from an internal exam if you have it?

Quoting 20Keller12:

20Keller12
by Michael on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:05 PM

The hallmark is severe pain.  

Quoting IansMommy2012:

Really I have terrible
Periods that last 6-7 days granted I don't bleed heavy all those days hut usually 4-5 heavy along with the cramping and stuff but I've never thought endo :/

Quoting 20Keller12:

MrsMatthew
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Bump. Any more advice?
MrsMatthew
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Bump
supermillerMom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I would bet anything it is.  I had it years ago before too many people knew about it.  Most people just told me to "suck it up.  That's life as a woman."  I was so relieved to know there was ACTUALLY something wrong with me.  The doc did a laproscopic surgery to remove the adhesions and then I did 6 months of depot lupron - which basically puts you into menopause temporarily.  It was amazing!  That was in 2001.  I can tell I'm slowly going back to the long, heavy periods, but now at least I know what to look for and that it can be treated. And yes, my cycles were always regular - 28 days on the nose.  They were just loooong and painful.  

MrsMatthew
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Have you been able to have any children? If so did you have to do anything different/special?

Quoting supermillerMom:

I would bet anything it is.  I had it years ago before too many people knew about it.  Most people just told me to "suck it up.  That's life as a woman."  I was so relieved to know there was ACTUALLY something wrong with me.  The doc did a laproscopic surgery to remove the adhesions and then I did 6 months of depot lupron - which basically puts you into menopause temporarily.  It was amazing!  That was in 2001.  I can tell I'm slowly going back to the long, heavy periods, but now at least I know what to look for and that it can be treated. And yes, my cycles were always regular - 28 days on the nose.  They were just loooong and painful.  

MrsMatthew
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Bump. I know there are some more of you out there with endometriosis!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)