• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Slightly OT: Constipation during pregnancy

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:55 PM
  • 9 Replies

So, as a lifetime member of the constipation club (thank you dad), a thought struck me. Maybe constipation during pregnancy serves a purpose. Yes, it's a pain in the ass (pun completely intended), but think about it. When you're constipated, you have to strain HARD to get things to go where they need to. Then, when it comes to showtime, and you have to push that baby out, you use the exact same muscles. So what if being constipated is your body's way of preparing those muscles for the incredible task of pushing a baby out. Anyone else ever thought of that?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MAJL2009
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Nice thinking! lol

kaybri2012
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Perhaps - but MAN it is nasty and something I choose not to think about.  My husband still likes to tease me about the times I was stuck on the toilet forever and he was afraid he would have to "help" me.  Gah!

20Keller12
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I probably won't notice a difference. I got my dad's digestive system so I'm pretty much always constipated.

Quoting kaybri2012:

Perhaps - but MAN it is nasty and something I choose not to think about.  My husband still likes to tease me about the times I was stuck on the toilet forever and he was afraid he would have to "help" me.  Gah!

gertrude_shea
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:42 AM
OH NO you will notice!!! I have a horrible slow digestive track so im ALWAYS constipated but during pregnancy it was (no joke) 1000 times worse than the every day issues...when pregnant i only went #2 probably once a week and that was with taking stool softeners several times daily!

Quoting 20Keller12:

I probably won't notice a difference. I got my dad's digestive system so I'm pretty much always constipated.

Quoting kaybri2012:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ShellBeth
by Michelle on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM

You have posted a lot about preparing for labor - I promise you - cramps dont prepare you for contractions and constipation doesnt prepare you for pushing. I dont think anything prepares you for labor! Period! HAHA.

The best thing to do once you get pregnant is to study what happens during labor and take classes to help you with coping mechanisms. Until you are actually IN labor - you can't really prepare for it for real!

SaGe_Ed
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Well, I've never been consistently constipated during pregnancy (just lucky I guess), but I do know that pushing through constipation isn't really like pushing out a baby at all.  Of course maybe that's just me, my midwife called me a "natural pusher".  I pushed my daughter out in three contractions and my son out in about four pushes, so...

20Keller12
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Very very true.

Quoting ShellBeth:

You have posted a lot about preparing for labor - I promise you - cramps dont prepare you for contractions and constipation doesnt prepare you for pushing. I dont think anything prepares you for labor! Period! HAHA.

The best thing to do once you get pregnant is to study what happens during labor and take classes to help you with coping mechanisms. Until you are actually IN labor - you can't really prepare for it for real!

20Keller12
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Very very true.

Quoting ShellBeth:

ShellBeth
by Michelle on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:25 PM
But hey -i mentally preparing is half the battle! So dont stop thinking about it!

Quoting 20Keller12:

Very very true.

Quoting ShellBeth:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)