Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC - Trying to Conceive TTC - Trying to Conceive

OT- moving away from child's father. (no judgement please)

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM
  • 42 Replies

Has anyone ever felt unhappy where they are living and feel like they're trapped? Thats how I feel right now... I had my daughter when I was 18. My original dream was to be a dolphin trainer in Florida. It has been my dream since I was 6.

Well obviously that dream was shattered when I got pregnant. I love my daughter and I never regret the decision I made, but now that her father is so involved in her life I feel like it's never going to happen. We live in PA, and she starts Kindergarten in the fall.

I am so miserable living here... I have my associates in psychology and am currently working toward my bachelors (which is what you need to be a dolphin trainer). But it sucks knowing I cant do what I really want to do with my diploma... The cost of living is so inexpensive there and the job market is insane compared to here. The only way it would work would be to move there with my SO and leave my daughter here with her father and my family, and have her stay with me over Christmas and summers. But I don't think I'd be able to do that mentally.

Anyone else been in this boat?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Herlache
by Jessie on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Wow that's a hard one gl... Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
marissabrookee
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM

yeah its no fun... thank you!

Quoting Herlache:

Wow that's a hard one gl... Bump

beachcombergirl
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:10 PM

You should be able to petition the court to move with your daughter? Do you have primary custody?

paigesmommy5264
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Do you hae a custody order? Where in PA are you? I'm in Pittsburgh... if you have a custody order, you can go back to court and ask to relocate for better opportunities. There is a good chance it would be granted. If there is no custody order then you can move wherever you like.
marissabrookee
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM

we havent even taken anything to court... its all an agreement between the two of us. he has her 3 days a week and I have her 4.

Quoting beachcombergirl:

You should be able to petition the court to move with your daughter? Do you have primary custody?

marissabrookee
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM

We don't... its all just an agreement between the two of us, we're by Philadelphia.

Quoting paigesmommy5264:

Do you hae a custody order? Where in PA are you? I'm in Pittsburgh... if you have a custody order, you can go back to court and ask to relocate for better opportunities. There is a good chance it would be granted. If there is no custody order then you can move wherever you like.

Brooked18
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I lived in NY when I got married we moved to IN I brought my daughter with me. He gave me a hard time but its fine bow
marissabrookee
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM

was he in her life a lot?

Quoting Brooked18:

I lived in NY when I got married we moved to IN I brought my daughter with me. He gave me a hard time but its fine bow

So_Devious20
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM
what part of fl do you plan on living in?? It is expensieve in certian areas. would your daughter's dad be ok with her visiting him during summer and Christmas and her coming with you? I want to move but I can't imagine not seeing my mom when I wanted to. can't imagine how hard it would be to decide on moving without your dd.
marissabrookee
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I doubt he'd be cool with it. He's just as involved in her life as I am... but I guess I could bring it up. We want to move around Fort Walton Beach. Thats where my SO's best friend is stationed with his wife.

Quoting So_Devious20:

what part of fl do you plan on living in?? It is expensieve in certian areas. would your daughter's dad be ok with her visiting him during summer and Christmas and her coming with you? I want to move but I can't imagine not seeing my mom when I wanted to. can't imagine how hard it would be to decide on moving without your dd.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)