Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

EPO & CM question...**tmi**

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:29 AM
  • 29 Replies

I know that everyone is different, etc. But, for those of you that have taken evening primrose oil (EPO) when did you notice that you had more CM?! I'm just curious if it works as quickly as I feel like it has for me. I'm CD8 today and last night when I went to bed, and this morning I feel like I have a ton of watery CM!! I feel crazy wet! (Sorry, TMI) but seriously...lol I never feel this way after AF. So, needless to say I'm pretty excited. Hoping this turns out to be a good decision on my part to do this cycle!

Also, does epo have side effects? I tried to look it up but didn't really find much. Just wondering, I'm not experiencing anything but just thought I'd ask because I'm curious. :) TIA ladies!!

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ttc1rainbow
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:28 AM

BUMP! =)

Mandy1024
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

This is what I found about EPO's side effects!!!

Evening primrose oil is LIKELY SAFE for most people. It can sometimes cause mild side effects including upset stomach, nausea, diarrhea, and headache.

Special Precautions & Warnings:

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Taking evening primrose oil is POSSIBLY UNSAFE during pregnancy. It might increase the chance of having complications. Don’t use it if you are pregnant.

It is POSSIBLY SAFE to take evening primrose oil during breast-feeding, but it’s best to check with your healthcare provider first.

Bleeding disorders: There is a concern that evening primrose oil might increase the chance of bruising and bleeding. Don’t use it if you have a bleeding disorder.

Epilepsy or another seizure disorder: There is a concern that taking evening primrose oil might make seizures more likely in some people. If you have a history of seizure, avoid using it.

Schizophrenia: Seizures have been reported in people with schizophrenia treated with phenothiazine drugs, GLA (a chemical found in evening primrose oil), and vitamin E. Get your healthcare provider’s opinion before starting evening primrose oil.

Surgery: Evening primrose oil might increase the chance of bleeding during or after surgery. Stop using it at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1006-evening%20primrose%20oil.aspx?activeIngredientId=1006&activeIngredientName=evening%20primrose%20oil

MichelleH86
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM
I bled mid cycle everytime I tried it! Pain in my rear! But with some people it works :) my cm got thin.. very thin.. and then, like I said, I bled mid cyxle
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mandy1024
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM

evening primrose oil - oral (cont.)

HOW TO USE: Take this product by mouth as directed. Follow all directions on the product package. If you are uncertain about any of the information, consult your doctor or pharmacist.If your condition persists or worsens, or if you think you may have a serious medical problem, seek immediate medical attention.

SIDE EFFECTS: Upset stomach, nausea, soft stools, or headache may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, contact your doctor or pharmacist promptly.A very serious allergic reaction to this product is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any of the following symptoms of a serious allergic reaction: rashitching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.In the US -Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

http://www.medicinenet.com/evening_primrose_oil-oral/page2.htm#SideEffects

Minor Side Effects

Some people experience minor side effects when taking evening primrose oil. As listed by the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), these effects include headaches, abdominal pain, nausea and loose stools. The UMMC notes that people may experience stomach pain and loose stools when evening primrose oil dosage is too high.

Seizures

GLA supplements can increase the risk of seizures in people with a seizure disorder, according to the UMMC, and in patients taking phenothiazine anti-psychotic drugs. Taking evening primrose oil also can raise the risk of seizures in patients undergoing anesthesia. The UMMC advises anyone scheduled for surgery requiring general anesthesia to stop consuming evening primrose oil at least two weeks beforehand.

Increased Bleeding

Evening primrose oil, like other omega-6 fatty acid supplements, may increase the risk of abnormal bleeding. People with a bleeding disorder or taking medications or herbs with blood-thinning effects should be cautious about taking evening primrose oil, according to the UMMC. These blood-thinning substances include warfarin, heparin and non-steroidal drugs such as aspirin and ibuprofen, as well as the herb ginkgo biloba.

Pregnancy Considerations

Pregnant women should not take evening primrose oil, according to the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. The center cites a report of an infant born with bleeding under the skin surface due to broken capillaries after the mother had taken evening primrose oil one week before childbirth.

Allergic Reaction

Some people may experience a hypersensitive or allergic reaction to evening primrose, although this is uncommon, according to the NIH. People hypersensitive to other plants in the Onagraceae family or to GLA are more likely to have a reaction to this substance. Signs of an allergic reaction include a rash or hives, facial or mouth swelling and difficulty breathing. An allergic reaction to evening primrose oil should be considered a medical emergency. A person who is allergic to evening primrose oil also may develop skin irritation when using the oil topically.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/116949-side-effects-evening-primrose-oil/#ixzz2JlcChEF6
SHOE_DIVA
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I don't know never used it but it sounds like it's working!! 

Mama_Dolly
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Cd 2 and I have slight dizzyness. If I dont drink enough water with it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ttc1rainbow
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Thanks for the info girl!!

Quoting Mandy1024:

HOW TO USE: Take this product by mouth as directed. Follow all directions on the product package. If you are uncertain about any of the information, consult your doctor or pharmacist.If your condition persists or worsens, or if you think you may have a serious medical problem, seek immediate medical attention.

SIDE EFFECTS: Upset stomach, nausea, soft stools, or headache may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, contact your doctor or pharmacist promptly.A very serious allergic reaction to this product is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any of the following symptoms of a serious allergic reaction: rashitching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.In the US -Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

Minor Side Effects

Some people experience minor side effects when taking evening primrose oil. As listed by the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), these effects include headaches, abdominal pain, nausea and loose stools. The UMMC notes that people may experience stomach pain and loose stools when evening primrose oil dosage is too high.

Seizures

GLA supplements can increase the risk of seizures in people with a seizure disorder, according to the UMMC, and in patients taking phenothiazine anti-psychotic drugs. Taking evening primrose oil also can raise the risk of seizures in patients undergoing anesthesia. The UMMC advises anyone scheduled for surgery requiring general anesthesia to stop consuming evening primrose oil at least two weeks beforehand.

Increased Bleeding

Evening primrose oil, like other omega-6 fatty acid supplements, may increase the risk of abnormal bleeding. People with a bleeding disorder or taking medications or herbs with blood-thinning effects should be cautious about taking evening primrose oil, according to the UMMC. These blood-thinning substances include warfarin, heparin and non-steroidal drugs such as aspirin and ibuprofen, as well as the herb ginkgo biloba.

Pregnancy Considerations

Pregnant women should not take evening primrose oil, according to the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. The center cites a report of an infant born with bleeding under the skin surface due to broken capillaries after the mother had taken evening primrose oil one week before childbirth.

Allergic Reaction

Some people may experience a hypersensitive or allergic reaction to evening primrose, although this is uncommon, according to the NIH. People hypersensitive to other plants in the Onagraceae family or to GLA are more likely to have a reaction to this substance. Signs of an allergic reaction include a rash or hives, facial or mouth swelling and difficulty breathing. An allergic reaction to evening primrose oil should be considered a medical emergency. A person who is allergic to evening primrose oil also may develop skin irritation when using the oil topically.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/116949-side-effects-evening-primrose-oil/#ixzz2JlcChEF6

mrskandi
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I started taking it and two days later I was sorry tmii very wet ,had cm and lots of it .I stoped taking it and I still have so much cm .I have never had this much of it .I wonder when is it going to stop .Anyone know ?

Mandy1024
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM

You are welcome... I took it 2 cycles and didn't notice any side effects

Quoting ttc1rainbow:

Thanks for the info girl!!

Quoting Mandy1024:

Minor Side Effects

Seizures

Increased Bleeding

Pregnancy Considerations

Allergic Reaction

ttc1rainbow
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I have a ton also. I'm normally dry/just starting to get creamy CM on CD8 but nope, I've got tons! I'm excited though, it's supposed to be a good thing!

Quoting mrskandi:

I started taking it and two days later I was sorry tmii very wet ,had cm and lots of it .I stoped taking it and I still have so much cm .I have never had this much of it .I wonder when is it going to stop .Anyone know ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured