Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Maybe a connection??

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:58 AM
  • 12 Replies
Has anyone heard of a vitamin d deficiency a possible cause in multiple miscarriages? I've been severly vitamin d deficient for almost 4 years. I wasn't with my son and had no issues staying pregnant. But I was looking up some things and saw where vit d could help with recurrent mc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xtriciax
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:02 AM

ummm not sure but taking some sort of vit D supplement wouldnt hurt goodluck hun praying you get your sticky bean soon 

ccoyle4
by Caitlin on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:16 AM
I already take 70,000 units of vit d weekly, but even then I'm still deficient. Ill talk to y ob Tuesday and then call my neuro to see what he thinks.

Quoting xtriciax:

ummm not sure but taking some sort of vit D supplement wouldnt hurt goodluck hun praying you get your sticky bean soon 

xtriciax
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM

omg i wonder what is causing such a deficiency. i had a slight vit. D deficiency before my wls but doc said he wasnt concerned and blood draw month after surgery i was fine. i hope that you figure it out hun 

Quoting ccoyle4:

I already take 70,000 units of vit d weekly, but even then I'm still deficient. Ill talk to y ob Tuesday and then call my neuro to see what he thinks.

Quoting xtriciax:

Camsmommy12
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I am not sure on this question.. I sure hope you find out .. GL hun!
ZennMomma
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:40 AM

If you are taking that much Vitamin D and still deficient then something is wrong with your body absorbing it. Are you getting injections or pill?

and I dont know if it would cause MC, however the body is always wanting to make itself even and "perfect" so it's constantly working, so if you are severely deficient and your body is always working really hard to make sure you have enough of something the first thing it's going to stop working properly is reproduction because the last thing a stressed body needs is to grow another body.

I'd ask and research about how the body absorbs vit D.

also...are your cycles regular, are you ovulating? any other health concerncs?

wantthatbaby46
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I really hope your doctors can figure it out.  I live in the desert, so I have to take 5,000 units vit d daily to keep my levels normal since I wear sunscreen nearly every day and don't get enough from the sun ...well, that I'm very fair, so 10-15 minutes of the sun and I'm burnt lol.  But my pill takes care of it. I agree with the other poster that you should start researching it and asking the doctors because, to me, it does sound like something is really off here. GL!

~Alisonsimple smile

ccoyle4
by Caitlin on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM
My cycles are always regular and I ovulate on time. It's just staying pregnant I'm having issues with. I'm taking it orally. As far as I know there isn't an injection.

Quoting ZennMomma:

If you are taking that much Vitamin D and still deficient then something is wrong with your body absorbing it. Are you getting injections or pill?

and I dont know if it would cause MC, however the body is always wanting to make itself even and "perfect" so it's constantly working, so if you are severely deficient and your body is always working really hard to make sure you have enough of something the first thing it's going to stop working properly is reproduction because the last thing a stressed body needs is to grow another body.

I'd ask and research about how the body absorbs vit D.

also...are your cycles regular, are you ovulating? any other health concerncs?

amberstars
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I have never heard of that before.  Maybe ask your doctor about it?  Good luck to you.

ZennMomma
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM

oh yes.... there are injections and intraveinous vitamins. My physiology instructor had gastric bypass surgery, they use to cut out a portion of your small intestine, which is responsible for absorbing 90% of vitamins, minerals and water and so she has to get intraveinous vitamins couple times a month.

If you're into natural healing a lot of naturopaths are accepting insurance these days.

I have heard of this before, my husbands co worker, and based on what I've learned about myself, and about the human body I seriously think this is an absorption issue. I would suggest asking about another method of getting the vitamin into your body, also Vit D is a fat soluble vitamin so it needs lipids to absorb, good healthy fats in your diet can help with that.

ccoyle4
by Caitlin on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Hmm. Ill have to look into it. I know my neuro is all about newer things. I was there a week ago and he said there's a new substitute for steroid infusions as well that stimulates your body to do it itself instead of using iv steroids. But I'll definitely look into the vit d injections. Thanks! My levels haven't been in the normal range for a couple years, even with taking as much as I do. The highest it's been is 32. Lol. I believe he said is was on the very low side of normal.

Quoting ZennMomma:

oh yes.... there are injections and intraveinous vitamins. My physiology instructor had gastric bypass surgery, they use to cut out a portion of your small intestine, which is responsible for absorbing 90% of vitamins, minerals and water and so she has to get intraveinous vitamins couple times a month.

If you're into natural healing a lot of naturopaths are accepting insurance these days.

I have heard of this before, my husbands co worker, and based on what I've learned about myself, and about the human body I seriously think this is an absorption issue. I would suggest asking about another method of getting the vitamin into your body, also Vit D is a fat soluble vitamin so it needs lipids to absorb, good healthy fats in your diet can help with that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)