Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ttc first

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM
  • 8 Replies
So excited that df really wants to start trying for a baby. He is even picking out things. I really hope we can get pregnant before the year is over. Any tips on ttc? :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Libby22
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Are you off your bc yet? I would say as soon as you come off bc (keeping in mind it might take a little time to get regular again) start charting your cycles. It will make the process that much easier if you know the time you ovulate. 

Also, start taking a prenatal vitamin NOW making sure it has at least 800 MG of folic acid. 

Good luck and congrats! It's always exciting when your guy jumps on the baby train :)

marissabrookee
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:44 PM

drinks 1 glass of whole milk a day, drink 1 glass of grapefruit juice a day before you O and 1 glass of pineapple juice a day for 2 days after you O. lots of dark green vegetables and protein. take prenatal vitamins (the gummy ones are the best) have sex the couple days before you O because you're more fertile before than after. use OPK's to know when you O, and last but not least, don't test until at least 14DPO, because otherwise you'll get let down and it sucks haha, GL!

MrsWhite101610
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:45 PM
I have no tips, we've been TTC #2 since Dec 2011 but I wish you luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loveablej
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Thanks. Haven't been on BC for a few years now because it caused me to develop hb. I did get a Basel thermometer but keep forgetting to do it before I get out of bed.
Libby22
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM

You might have more luck with an OPK. If you forget to use it in the morning, just do it in the evening (after abstaining from drinking and eating for a few hours). Some women get clearer results in the PM.

Quoting loveablej:

Thanks. Haven't been on BC for a few years now because it caused me to develop hb. I did get a Basel thermometer but keep forgetting to do it before I get out of bed.

OrganicSweetie
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I suggest getting in the habit of having your basal therm on the nightstand, and set two alarms, one that is earlier than when you normally wake up and a second one for actually getting up. That is what I do. I take my temp when the first alarm goes off, turn off the alarm and fall back asleep for another hour until I actually need to get out of bed and the second alarm goes off.

I'm also using OPK but you can't always guarantee when exactly you ovulate after a positive test, it is anywhere from later that day to a couple of days later. A temp rise on your chart is the easiest way to see.

loveablej
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Do you only take it once a day? When temp rises does that mean you o?

Quoting OrganicSweetie:

I suggest getting in the habit of having your basal therm on the nightstand, and set two alarms, one that is earlier than when you normally wake up and a second one for actually getting up. That is what I do. I take my temp when the first alarm goes off, turn off the alarm and fall back asleep for another hour until I actually need to get out of bed and the second alarm goes off.

I'm also using OPK but you can't always guarantee when exactly you ovulate after a positive test, it is anywhere from later that day to a couple of days later. A temp rise on your chart is the easiest way to see.

OrganicSweetie
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Yep. See this link for more info. You can also notice changes in your cervical mucus, if you care to add that to your route. And yes you only take your temp once a day. You have to take it in the morning, after at least 3-4 hours of sleep and before you get out of bed.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_detecting-ovulation_484.bc

"Following ovulation, your temperature can increase by 0.4 to 1.0 degrees. You won't feel the shift, but you can detect it by using a basal body temperature (BBT) thermometer. This temperature spike indicates that you've ovulated, because releasing an egg stimulates the production of the hormone progesterone, which raises body temperature."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)